9.13 Game thread, vs KC 1:15 CST first pitch

southsider2k5

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 02:51 PM)
Nice rip down the LF line by Engel. He's been a nice surprise so far with the bat.

I was thinking right before he did that (c'mon Adam just rip one right down that left field line), then boom it happened.

As awful as he has looked during that bad stretch of atbats, he has had some clutch at bats. Likes to hit them down the line.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 02:52 PM)
No Trayce Thompson?

Trayce was a little different of a player. Hit more for power, Engel is more of a singles guy with speed, although Engel does seem to like to drive runs in. 20 driven in with the amount of at bats he has had isn't too shabby. Both guys did have pretty good defense, although Engel with a lot more range, making up for those plays that Trayce had to otherwise dive for.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
No Trayce Thompson?

Trayce as well. I am hoping it's real with Engel, but I'm not buying it, yet and still his OPS is under .600. It could help his confidence.

Hasn't he usually been a real streaky hitter?

It's kind of bizarre, I was at a game he turned around a Matt Bush 100 MPH fastball right up the middle, and I have seen him blown away by fastballs nowhere near that.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 01:54 PM)
I was thinking right before he did that (c'mon Adam just rip one right down that left field line), then boom it happened.

As awful as he has looked during that bad stretch of atbats, he has had some clutch at bats. Likes to hit them down the line.

Dude, you need to think along with the game more often.

Yeah I like Engel's progress so far. After seeing Thompson fall back to earth last year, I have no expectations from Engel. If he solidifies himself as the starting CF that's great but if he doesn't it's no big deal since I wasn't expecting him to become a starting CF'r anyway. I'm just sitting back and enjoying the show, for however long it lasts.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
Trayce as well. I am hoping it's real with Engel, but I'm not buying it, yet and still his OPS is under .600. It could help his confidence.

Hasn't he usually been a real streaky hitter?

It's kind of bizarre, I was at a game he turned around a Matt Bush 100 MPH fastball right up the middle, and I have seen him blown away by fastballs nowhere near that.

Yeah I agree and that's why I'm just going with the wait and see approach. I never expected him to do as much as he's done but we've seen this with Trayce. It's not fair to Engel but they are very similar players.

As for the fastballs. I think Engel is simply over thinking, as Hawk would say. It could explain why sometimes he's on the fastball and late on others. Or, he's up there guessing.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)

Yeah I like Engel's progress so far. After seeing Thompson fall back to earth last year, I have no expectations from Engel. If he solidifies himself as the starting CF that's great but if he doesn't it's no big deal since I wasn't expecting him to become a starting CF'r anyway. I'm just sitting back and enjoying the show, for however long it lasts.

Besides being a White Sox, you have to pull for him. He plays hard. He even runs out to his position hard.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 03:03 PM)

Yep. With his defense out there in the outfield, I think he probably has the majority of starts in Center next year as long as he stays healthy, no mattee really how he hits, just because he saves a lot of pitchers some headache with the range he has out there. Anything he does offensively is a plus. So you can sit back and enjoy him next year for probably at least a couple more months haha.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
I thought Adam would struggle making team next year with more guys getting close for time, but I realized he really only has Leury and May competing for CF, so he probably has our 4th outfield locked down.

While Tilson may no longer exist in the realm of the White Sox he may still be in the team photo.