Who says we cant compete next year?

ron883

This team looks good enough to compete for the WC or division next year. Indiana have some stats who are aging. Never know what happens in baseball. Sox will also have Kopech and eloy at some point.

Rodon/Kopech/Lopez/giolito/ shields or guerrero or Stephens or Adams

1B abreu

2B moncada

SS TA/leury

3b Davidson/nicky/yolmer

DH delmonico/davidson/abreu

RF avi

CF leury/engel

LF nicky/eloy

C: TA/Kevin smith

Supersubs yolmer/leury

Bullpen - wing it.

I think this team will be a pleasant surprise and the Sox very May well have a chance to compete.

Edited by ron883

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron, I really appreciate your enthusiasm and I do think the Sox will be better than possibly expected but it would be one year too soon, IMHO. We're going to see growing pains from likely every young player that comes up ( see Tim Anderson and Moncada) so we will see some inconsistency with the team next year. Giolito, Lopez, at some point Kopech and maybe even Fulmer wil be building innings as starters, working on command/control of pitches and learning the hitters. And the same can be said about Rodon as well since he's missed so much time this year. The pitches no staff won't be contender ready next year but I do think they are poised to break out in '19.

They just might have the offense next year to compete but I'm actually hoping they don't compete because it would force more innings on the young pitchers. If we're to rely on these guys for years to come, let's do it right and make those future horses thoroughbreds.

One surprise I'm hoping for next year is the Sox call up Hansen before September to start getting him acclimated to the MLB so he can help the contending 2019 team. As of now, Hansen's timeline matches up pretty well with an expected ( by me ) departure of James Shields by the ASB next year. Barring injury, I think Shields is a gone goose once Hansen is ready.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 04:10 PM)
This team looks good enough to compete for the WC or division next year. Indiana have some stats who are aging. Never know what happens in baseball. Sox will also have Kopech and eloy at some point.

1B abreu

2B moncada

SS TA

3b Davidson/nicky/yolmer

RF avi

CF leury/engel

LF nicky/eloy

Supersubs yolmer/leury

Bullpen - wing it.

I think this team will be a pleasant surprise and the Sox very May well have a chance to compete.

Who is this Indiana you speak of Mr. Inside Baseball ? I know you meant Indians but you mean that team with the AL record 21 game winning streak .? The Indians who have been without Kipnis, Brantley, and Andrew Miller for most of the streak ? That team who has outscored opponents by 101 runs in those 21 games ? Those Indians are the team the Sox can beat out for the division by winging it in the BP and young starting pitching still wearing diapers ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 12:10 AM)

1B abreu

2B moncada

SS TA

3b Davidson/nicky/yolmer

RF avi

CF leury/engel

LF nicky/eloy

Supersubs yolmer/leury

Bullpen - wing it.

Not quite. Lineup isn't good enough yet unless Eloy is in it and Robert is in it. You didn't list a catcher. We have none good enough and Leury and Nicky frankly aren't playoff caliber starting players.

The bullpen is so bad it's beyond description. Starters Rodon (hurt) and Giolito and Lopez are great but again, Rodon is hurt and two starters aren't enough. Team would have to do a lot of work roster wise to win next year.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 08:28 PM)
Not quite. Lineup isn't good enough yet unless Eloy is in it and Robert is in it. You didn't list a catcher. We have none good enough and Leury and Nicky frankly aren't playoff caliber starting players.

The bullpen is so bad it's beyond description. Starters Rodon (hurt) and Giolito and Lopez are great but again, Rodon is hurt and two starters aren't enough. Team would have to do a lot of work roster wise to win next year.

Forgot about catcher. Tim Anderson will be the catcher

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 05:10 PM)

1B abreu

2B moncada

SS TA/leury

3b Davidson/nicky/yolmer

RF avi

CF leury/engel

LF nicky/eloy

Supersubs yolmer/leury

Bullpen - wing it.

This team isn't even close to competing in my book. No bullpen and only 2/5th's of a starting rotation. Plus a number of easy outs in the current lineup.

Not even close.

Stay the course, keep acquiring young talent, let them mature in the minor leagues, DO NOT rush them...and we'll see you in 2020. They should be ready by them.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 06:10 PM)

1B abreu

2B moncada

SS TA/leury

3b Davidson/nicky/yolmer

RF avi

CF leury/engel

LF nicky/eloy

Supersubs yolmer/leury

Bullpen - wing it.

I notice you omitted the pitching staff....there's your answer.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 04:56 AM)
Where is Manny Machado in the projected lineup?

I really wanna see the Sox spend this off-season. They have money, there are some really good young players out there, and their first round pick will be protected.

Wrong free agency period. Machado will be available in two offseasons, along with a bunch of other big names. IMO, 2019 will be the first year they really go for it and we'll see a lot of free agent activity the offseason before. I really think we can be serious World Series contenders in 2019 with a few big moves and solid development from the core young guys like Moncada, Anderson, Jimenez, Kopech, Giolito, & Lopez. 2018 is year too early, but things are definitely moving faster than anticipated.