Three Needs: Chicago White Sox

Bob Sacamano

Trading avi or abreu could make sense but only if the market gets better. I wouldn't trade them for a pair of 40 prospects or so. Problem is that the market for bats currently is not good, maybe it gets better next year. If they get a real top100 prospect and a solid depth piece either is gone but I'm not sure a team is going to pay that.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 05:02 PM)
Trading avi or abreu could make sense but only if the market gets better. I wouldn't trade them for a pair of 40 prospects or so. Problem is that the market for bats currently is not good, maybe it gets better next year. If they get a real top100 prospect and a solid depth piece either is gone but I'm not sure a team is going to pay that.

Kind of hard even realistically talking about it right now until after the postseason and you get a feel for teams (in the postseason) needs. Teams like the Yanks that could fall on their face for not having a true threat at 1B...etc... Personally I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell Abreu gets moved unless it's a ridiculous deal. Avi...probably not either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 10:44 PM)
3 needs:

1. Pitching

2. Defense

3. Hitting

We'll never be serious contenders again until we get one stud veteran starter and three good relievers via free agency to be added to our young core. Now could that be put off another year? Sure as we tank for another top pick.

I'm skeptical we'll ever be elite defensively. Might ultimately cost us when we get good. Might not beat the elite teams in playoffs with crap Sox defense.

Hitting should be OK in the future if we keep Abreu and Avi to go with all the young studs. Catcher must get better.

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 05:25 PM)
Most of that article has already been discussed here in some way or another, but I did find this blurb interesting.

Wouldn't be very Sox like, but if the right deal came along with the right prospects coming back, taking on a bad contract for 2 years would make sense.

Agreed. I could see us taking on Kemp (thru 2019, some money paid for by SD/LAD/and potentially ATL), Markakis (thru 2018), or even Yasmany Tomas (thru 2020) in order to get a prospect; I have no idea what caliber of prospect we'd get in such a deal, though.