Sox v KC

TheTruth05

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 10:52 PM)
OK but it just makes me mad at times. I try to comment on the game the rare occasions I post in the game thread.

This was a weird game for us all to watch. I want the high pick next year like many others, but I won't complain about the youngsters making plays like that to end the game for a win. Bitter sweet indeed.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 09:02 PM)
I will say this. Its a different kind of game thread. Even in the inning where the Sox came back with the 5 run 4th all the talk was about how Lopez looked . No mention of the Anderson RBI. No mention of the Davidson 2 run HR. Only when Moncada hit the other 2 run bomb did people comment.

A wise man once said, "for these times, they are a changin."

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 04:02 AM)
I will say this. Its a different kind of game thread. Even in the inning where the Sox came back with the 5 run 4th all the talk was about how Lopez looked . No mention of the Anderson RBI. No mention of the Davidson 2 run HR. Only when Moncada hit the other 2 run bomb did people comment.

Davidson ... don't get me started. Let's just say he's not liked so much on this board.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 11:18 PM)
Davidson ... don't get me started. Let's just say he's not liked so much on this board.

Greg, what you have yet to figure out is that because people don't think a guy is that valuable doesn't mean they don't like him. Do many of us think Davidson is part of the next great Sox team? No. Do we enjoy seeing him hit dingers and want him to do well? Of course we do. We all want him to go .300/40/100.

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 05:32 AM)
By "this board", do you mean rational adults who are not wowed by 26 HRs and instead see a terribly flawed baseball player that currently boasts a .222 AVG, .264 OBP, .716 OPS, -0.7 WAR, lackluster defense and mediocre minor league numbers?

Please, get started.

26 home runs in his first season? And he still hasn't had that many at bats. I happen to love what he's done. If he somehow got to 30 I'd hoist a Miller Lite for him. 30 frickin homers in part time duty basically.

It's so weird how different I am philosophy wise than most posters on this board. I guess it's old school eye test guy vs. modern advanced statniks.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 09:32 PM)
By "this board", do you mean rational adults who are not wowed by 26 HRs and instead see a terribly flawed baseball player that currently boasts a .222 AVG, .264 OBP, .716 OPS, -0.7 WAR, lackluster defense and mediocre minor league numbers?

Please, get started.

:notworthy

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 04:56 AM)
:notworthy

No offense, but if this was Moncada's stat line folks would be saying, "It's his first season, darn it. Give him a chance. Relax. he'll be fine." Because it's Davidson ... ugh his first season's 26 homers? Throw 'em back in the water; small fish to fry. Need bigger fish. See I care that it's his first season. I think those numbers are ... OK? How many rookies in Sox history have had 26 homers? Pete Ward would have killed to hit 26 home runs for Chicago.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 10:04 PM)
No offense, but if this was Moncada's stat line folks would be saying, "It's his first season, darn it. Give him a chance. Relax. he'll be fine." Because it's Davidson ... ugh his first season's 26 homers? Throw 'em back in the water; small fish to fry. Need bigger fish. See I care that it's his first season. I think those numbers are ... OK? How many rookies in Sox history have had 26 homers? Pete Ward would have killed to hit 26 home runs for Chicago.

The issue with that logic is that Davidson has shown in almost 150 MLB games and over his entire minor league career that he's a one way player at the dish.

He's never had an average over .250 or an OBP over .300 at level above AA in his career.

If that was the case for Moncada then he wouldn't be considered a potential franchise cornerstone.

Edit: Also, the one dimensional performance boasting 26 home runs has also only amounted to -0.7WAR as has already been pointed out. I don't care if a hitter is crushing 50 homers a year if they're a defensive liability and can't even sniff an OBP above .250.

Davidson IMO will turn out to be a bench player for a team who isn't contending after he gets another go with us in 2018 as a starter. Hope he can for the first time as a pro hit for a decent average, develop his eye so he gets on base, and turns into a good third baseman.

That's asking a lot.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 11:55 PM)
I guess it's old school eye test guy vs. modern advanced statniks.

I'm not going to sit here and argue with you because you've proven time and time again that you absolutely refuse to educate yourself but I just want you to know that this last line here is 100 percent bulls***.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 10:55 PM)
26 home runs in his first season? And he still hasn't had that many at bats. I happen to love what he's done. If he somehow got to 30 I'd hoist a Miller Lite for him. 30 frickin homers in part time duty basically.

It's so weird how different I am philosophy wise than most posters on this board. I guess it's old school eye test guy vs. modern advanced statniks.

Could be the 2nd coming of Josh Fields.

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 10:32 PM)

Please, get started.

Ha ha. Wasn't this guy turning out to be a total bust in the minors? At least they got some production out of him. Wasn't this one of those bad player for bad player trades?

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 12:02 AM)
Ha ha. Wasn't this guy turning out to be a total bust in the minors? At least they got some production out of him. Wasn't this one of those bad player for bad player trades?

Davidson was a top 100 prospect when we traded Addison Reed for him.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
Yeah, Greg's not a troll. He just vacillates between sounding like a drunk on the corner bar stool and a starry eyed child seeking autographs at the player's lot fence. Add in the KC shtick and he sounds almost real.

Please stop responding to this fool, people.

I almost spit out some of my coffee when I read this. Well done sir. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
Yeah, Greg's not a troll. He just vacillates between sounding like a drunk on the corner bar stool and a starry eyed child seeking autographs at the player's lot fence. Add in the KC shtick and he sounds almost real.

Please stop responding to this fool, people.

Sorry i get excited about the performance of a rookie. 26 homers in limited at bats

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
He never breaks character

In defense of Greg he tends to be quite civil and doesn't insult anyone. Most often passionate fans see things quite differently. He's not a troll. To label him a troll means he doesn't fit the Sox Talk Borg Collective and I'm not sure how that benefits this site. I do read all of his posts and the angst towards him is difference of opinion and his reactions are not hostile toward any member. So yes in he never breaks character but he shows character in dealing with responses.

Edited by kitekrazy