Another season almost gone and I will miss it.

kitekrazy

There's always this sadness when White Sox baseball in on break. I don't know why but when some of the veterans were traded I liked this team more (except the bullpen) Maybe it's easier to accept the performances of the inexperienced players than some of the not so productive veterans. I admit I hate seeing Sale in another uniform.

As of late I enjoyed watching this lineup.

Maybe next season I will pay attention more to what's happening in the minors. I say that every year but it seems it more stocked and probably more interesting.

At least this season there were no high expectations by getting a Todd Frazier only to be disappointed. Sometimes sports is a lot more enjoyable when less emotion is involved. I really enjoyed a younger team and knowing some will make some boneheaded mistakes.

The offseason will be interesting if the direction is to try to get value by stocking the farm some more or keep a player or two for building blocks. I don't see them making acquisitions for the now. The offseason may be boring.

I will miss the season but I will have the Fall League to look forward.

Has anyone toward the end of the season always have a regret they didn't spend more time watching baseball. In 40 years I went from a football junkie to rarely ever watching an NFL game. I just don't watch it anymore. It's become boring for me while so many say baseball is boring. One of the coolest things ever is I met this grade school kid where the parents fork over $100 a month for the kid to play baseball. Baseball in some way or another is played year round here. I might have to go watch some kids.

Edited by kitekrazy

It means FINALLY not being friggin Africa-hot out here!!!! Agree with ya about football...I really find myself just not caring more and more with each passing season. People bag on baseball for being boring...but good lord...go to a football game and count the minutes you're sitting there with your thumb up your arse waiting for either the tv timeouts to be over....and another mindless review. It's gotten unbearable honestly. Baseball is...and will always be the best sport in my mind.

This offseason is a little different in terms of the Sox...the major deals are already done (for the most part)...sign a few bullpen pieces...and wait for spring. I don't want to wish it away...because like Jimmy said...I'm at the opposite end...when baseball starts it means Africa-hot isn't too far off. Personally...I'm so ready to move out of this oven!!! Wish I could be a snowbird lol.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 07:20 PM)
Has anyone toward the end of the season always have a regret they didn't spend more time watching baseball. In 40 years I went from a football junkie to rarely ever watching an NFL game. I just don't watch it anymore. It's become boring for me while so many say baseball is boring.

I don't regret not watching more baseball because I watched a lot of games as long as Shields, Holland and Pelphrey weren't pitching. I just couldn't watch those 3 guys pitch and didn't. I probably watched uh, none of their games all season, maybe one of Holland's early. I did watch many of the other games or parts of them.

I watched some Royals games on TV, not many, enough to know a little about the team. They somehow have played 3 under .500 ball despite having a wretched pitching staff. This is the first year probably in my entire life I have no idea of the Sox/Royals season series results. I am thinking we have to be close to .500 against them though this time. My eye test tells me we don't lead the season series against 'em but I'm thinking 2-3 under .500.

I don't understand the NFL fans. I can't watch NFL. I cant stand the short swing passes to running backs and commercial breaks. I will say though that I have sat through the last few Super Bowls which actually were OK. Used to be a huge Bears fan. Now I'm a frontrunner. Don't care til they get good.

I will watch the Cubs in the playoffs again, at least the night games. It's a good baseball fix. I do miss baseball season, but this year I won't care when it ends because the Sox were embarrassingly bad. Some individuals did well though. But the team made me sick with its perpetual losing. The team was that bad.

As far as winter ... winter blows. I'll take heat any time. It just sucks in life when you know you have to go travel on a winter Tuesday and the forecast says snow and ice Monday, Tuesday and part of Wednesday. You are just f***ed at that point. And I hate carrying my winter coat through a toasty airport and on a plane. Got to bring the winter coat but you sweat your ass off wearing it in airports. Ugh. My pet peeves, winter.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 08:55 PM)
It means FINALLY not being friggin Africa-hot out here!!!! Agree with ya about football...I really find myself just not caring more and more with each passing season. People bag on baseball for being boring...but good lord...go to a football game and count the minutes you're sitting there with your thumb up your arse waiting for either the tv timeouts to be over....and another mindless review. It's gotten unbearable honestly. Baseball is...and will always be the best sport in my mind.

This offseason is a little different in terms of the Sox...the major deals are already done (for the most part)...sign a few bullpen pieces...and wait for spring. I don't want to wish it away...because like Jimmy said...I'm at the opposite end...when baseball starts it means Africa-hot isn't too far off. Personally...I'm so ready to move out of this oven!!! Wish I could be a snowbird lol.

I forgot about the long reviews in the NFL and college football. It's so f***ing boring. It makes you wonder how the refs ever called a game in the past without replay. I mean they review everything and the calls usually are wrong.

I'm with you guys. Baseball has been and will always be #1 for me. I used to love sitting back over the winter drinking beer with friends and watching football but I lost all interest in the game years ago so winter is very boring for me as far as sports go. Baseball hasn't even finished yet and I already miss it.

As much as I miss baseball and tracking the minors, I miss the busy season in these forums. Its always a lot slower in the off-season, and understandably so. I don't get as much knowledge and content from the baseball minds in here that know way more about the game than I do. AFL and winter meetings usually provide some entertainment.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 04:50 PM)
Better hope for some good Abreu/Avi trade rumors or this off season is going to be a very long and boring one.

But he'll have endless amounts of research, debating, and speculation to enjoy about the next draft.

That said - I always miss Chicago White Sox baseball in a viscerally painful way. :unsure:

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 06:52 PM)
But he'll have endless amounts of research, debating, and speculation to enjoy about the next draft.

That said - I always miss Chicago White Sox baseball in a viscerally painful way. :unsure:

That's true. Plus we'll have the new farm rankings and player rankings to look forward to. Oh, and winter ball too.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 05:20 PM)
That's true. Plus we'll have the new farm rankings and player rankings to look forward to. Oh, and winter ball too.

The offseason is always fun to be absorbed in a bunch of stuff. Usually around January I get really antsy and by February I'm about ready to burst into flames... then spring training rolls around starting with reporting and a wave of relief washes over me.

Hopefully we'll have an active offseason hot stove to watch around the entire league.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
The offseason is always fun to be absorbed in a bunch of stuff. Usually around January I get really antsy and by February I'm about ready to burst into flames... then spring training rolls around starting with reporting and a wave of relief washes over me.

Hopefully we'll have an active offseason hot stove to watch around the entire league.

Same here. The holidays and winter meetings helps the time to pass but once were into the new year, I start getting antsy like a mofo. Once pitchers and catchers report I'm OK but bored out of my skull before that. Cold Chicago winters don't exactly help either. :lol:

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 06:56 PM)
Same here. The holidays and winter meetings helps the time to pass but once were into the new year, I start getting antsy like a mofo. Once pitchers and catchers report I'm OK but bored out of my skull before that.

This is exactly how I am :lol:

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 06:56 PM)
Cold Chicago winters don't exactly help either. :lol:

Conversely, here in California - I'm loving the escape from triple digit heat and continually pray for more and more rain. I've been to ChiTown a few times during the winter and... uh... yea... I don't envy you.

Come baseball season, that envy surely rises up.

If I lived in Chicago - I have not a single doubt that I'd be working at 35th and Shields in the front office. ( My inability to do so yet again can be traced back to my bonehead decision to marry and breed with the good old lovely ex Mrs. hi8is. She's such a peach. ) :wub:

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 09:08 PM)
This is exactly how I am :lol:

Conversely, here in California - I'm loving the escape from triple digit heat and continually pray for more and more rain. I've been to ChiTown a few times during the winter and... uh... yea... I don't envy you.

Come baseball season, that envy surely rises up.

If I lived in Chicago - I have not a single doubt that I'd be working at 35th and Shields in the front office. ( My inability to do so yet again can be traced back to my bonehead decision to marry and breed with the good old lovely ex Mrs. hi8is. She's such a peach. ) :wub:

Ha ha, bats*** crazy for the first two months of the new year. Just call me Tweek!

Yeah man, Chicago winters suck and especially if ya got a few aches and pains. I told the lil woman we should move to the southwest and she said " f*** that. I'm not going back to living in a f***ing oven. Dry heat my ass". To which I promptly replied with " Uh, OK". :lol:

Now that your no longer with Mrs.hi8is, we can use a few more Sox fans in Chicago. Just disregard everything I just said about Chicago winters.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 07:21 PM)
Ha ha, bats*** crazy for the first two months of the new year. Just call me Tweek!

Yeah man, Chicago winters suck and especially if ya got a few aches and pains. I told the lil woman we should move to the southwest and she said " f*** that. I'm not going back to living in a f***ing oven. Dry heat my ass". To which I promptly replied with " Uh, OK". :lol:

Now that your no longer with Mrs.hi8is, we can use a few more Sox fans in Chicago. Just disregard everything I just said about Chicago winters.

The south sucks balls with it's humidity... and you have no idea how much I could move / travel around... hi8is junior ties me to the area since The Vampire won't just turn into a bat and vanish forever.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 09:28 PM)
The south sucks balls with it's humidity... and you have no idea how much I could move / travel around... hi8is junior ties me to the area since The Vampire won't just turn into a bat and vanish forever.

That's what my lady says. She grew up in Georgia and was living in Phoenix when we met so I just take her word for it.

As for the lovely ex Mrs.hi8is , not sure what to do there. You're kinda bound to her I suppose. Bummer dude. :crying

Uh, better get this thread back on track before we derail it any further. You're bad influence hi8is. :bang

Oh, random thought. What ever happened to chisoxmike?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 07:48 PM)
Oh, random thought. What ever happened to chisoxmike?

He must be taking a massive po....... uh..... nevermind. I can't say that word without unleashing the wrath.

Yea.... RIP 2017 White Sox baseball. It's been a fun season, in a very very different way.

The winter is not any more brutal than the heat and humidity is in some places and add to that the snakes, reptiles, roaches and other super-sized bugs. How about Fall/Autumn in Chicago - a great season that lasts until around Thanksgiving, still about two months away. Too cold for you outside yesterday? I love football, college and pro., notwithstanding the Bears and the attempt to re-ignite the anti-Kaepernick sentiments from 2016.

After the season is over , I will proudly wear my White Sox jackets and hats whenever weather permits. During the cubz playoffs I will buy and wear the hat of any team that they face. What really ignited anti-cub sentiment is watching how cub fans acted in Milwaukee toward the Brewer fans. I wish Detroit would go to the NL and that the Brewers would go back to the AL. That Cub/Brewer rivalry is too lopsided and has exposed the big market/small market chasm in an ugly way.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 24, 2017 -> 02:40 AM)
He must be taking a massive po....... uh..... nevermind. I can't say that word without unleashing the wrath.

Yea.... RIP 2017 White Sox baseball. It's been a fun season, in a very very different way.

Hopefully he returns, haven't seen him around for a long time. Mikes a good dude.

Yeah, gonna miss White Sox baseball for sure. I think once the WS is over I'm going to slumber over the cold ass boring winter. Just sleep old man winter away. I'll have the wifey wake me the day pitchers and catchers report. s***, our birthdays are in January so I guess I'll have to wake from the slumber a few times. Bummer, dude. :ph34r:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 24, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
I have watched less baseball this year than I have in nearly 40 years.

I'm the opposite. The rebuild has re-energized me. I've watched more Sox games this year than I have in 7 or 8 years at least. The least interesting thing in sports for me is a team that is treading in mediocrity for 5-10 years. That the Sox have finally pulled themselves out of that has been so fun.

Edited by Soha

QUOTE (Soha @ Sep 24, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
I'm the opposite. The rebuild has re-energized me. I've watched more Sox games this year than I have in 7 or 8 years at least. The least interesting thing in sports for me is a team that is treading in mediocrity for 5-10 years. That the Sox have finally pulled themselves out of that has been so fun.

VERY well said!

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)

Ever been to any of the fall league games? Far more comfortable than even spring training. We went to one ST night game in Surprize this year and it was nice out. Glendale just seems uncomfortable during the day.

QUOTE (Soha @ Sep 24, 2017 -> 10:49 AM)

Yep. The current team is kinda likeable. Abreau seems to have improved in fielding. Like that Avi is having a good season. Something I have noticed is this team is really fast. There's a lot of team speed. I still don't like the pen. If you're a Blackhawk fan you always have something to look forward too. I don't care for basketball and I'm starting to like hockey even more.