The Reinvention of James Shields

southsider2k5

if he could be a fifth starter in the realm of the good Humber (before he got bad) halleluia. Bring it on next year James. But I still won't watch any game he pitches in, til he proves to me he's good again.

I can't believe I pulled it off but as I told u afore, I watched zero games started by Humber or Pelphrey and maybe one early by Holland when he was good, before he turned into a batting practice pitcher.

We need a veteran fifth starter. If coop fixed Shields and he's our GOOD No. 5, fine. But if he's this year's James, ugh.

QUOTE (napa_soxfan @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)
Pity the fool who has to write a lengthy article about James friggin' Shields! Kind of impressive in itself...

Yea, right? Fangraphs also has a "Aaron Judge had the least clutch season ever". They are doing some clickbait articles lately. Must need to make some quotas.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
Yea, right? Fangraphs also has a "Aaron Judge had the least clutch season ever". They are doing some clickbait articles lately. Must need to make some quotas.

Because, according to how they calculate "clutch," Aaron Judge has had the least clutch season of all time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 02:22 PM)
Because, according to how they calculate "clutch," Aaron Judge has had the least clutch season of all time.

Yeah but I'm not a big fan on how they calculate clutch, because they're comparing how a player performs in high leverage situations to his baseline performance. All the top "unclutch" seasons of all time are great hitters, and it makes sense that their performance would be worse in high leverage situations because opposing managers are going to be using their best relievers against them, whereas a manager might leave in a tired starter for one more batter if Alcides Escobar was at the plate. Judge's batting line in high leverage situations this year is .234/.345/.489, which is a big step down from his overall line but still pretty good. Meanwhile a guy like Kole Calhoun is batting .227/.368/.364 in high leverage situations and he has the 8th best clutch rating in baseball this year. Doesn't make much sense. It also doesn't help that the average amount of PA for players in high leverage situations per year is ~50-60 PA, which is just too small of a sample size. Adding or subtracting 1 or 2 HR from that sample would drastically alter the numbers.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)
Yeah but I'm not a big fan on how they calculate clutch, because they're comparing how a player performs in high leverage situations to his baseline performance. All the top "unclutch" seasons of all time are great hitters, and it makes sense that their performance would be worse in high leverage situations because opposing managers are going to be using their best relievers against them, whereas a manager might leave in a tired starter for one more batter if Alcides Escobar was at the plate. Judge's batting line in high leverage situations this year is .234/.345/.489, which is a big step down from his overall line but still pretty good. Meanwhile a guy like Kole Calhoun is batting .227/.368/.364 in high leverage situations and he has the 8th best clutch rating in baseball this year. Doesn't make much sense. It also doesn't help that the average amount of PA for players in high leverage situations per year is ~50-60 PA, which is just too small of a sample size. Adding or subtracting 1 or 2 HR from that sample would drastically alter the numbers.

Well said. It's simply a stat that cannot be measured accurately, and anyone who tells you otherwise is dreaming.