2017-2018 MLB player movement rumors and reports

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 26, 2017 -> 08:43 PM)
I guess I don't hold James Shields in as high regard as others do. Giolito and Lopez are hardly proven at the major league level yet, and everybody hates Fulmer. That's hardly loaded, you can't assume minor league pitchers are gonna automatically kill it at the major league level. Kopech is hot stuff, but you don't ignore other major league pitchers because of him. He might hurt himself during a workout anyway.

But the White Sox are in a position where by 2019, Kopech, Lopez, Giolito, Fulmer, and Hansen are all, barring injury, going to get extended stretches in the big leagues to prove themselves. And there's more behind them, and there's Rodon.

These guys may not all succeed...but until you're confident one of them is useless, you have to know what spot they're going to take. Theres a nonzero chance I'll be saying we need to trade Hansen next offseason if the other guys hold their own, because there's only 5 rotation spots and we have more than 5 near-MLB-ready guys already.

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Scoots @ Dec 26, 2017 -> 09:08 PM)
Which is odd, because I feel like they have had a plethora of them over the years, and dominant ones to boot.

THat's how it worked out with the trades. They gave up 2 big time LHP and brought back 4 big time RHP, counting the Eaton deal. Then, Fulmer and Hansen, their 2 top drafted pitchers, also RHP. so suddenly they go from 2 big league lefties to 4+ minor league righties, and the only lefty they held onto destroys his shoulder.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 27, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
Nothing overly exciting, but it's baseball.

https://www.mlb.com/news/giants-talking-to-...ton/c-264029368

When the time comes for the Giants to rebuild, and it will be soon, that will be one long rebuild. Seriously, that team should be selling, not buying.

Reality is going to bite them like a b****.

So many bloated contracts on that team. It's almost a blessing that they didn't get Stanton.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 27, 2017 -> 01:39 PM)
Reality is going to bite them like a b****.

So many bloated contracts on that team. It's almost a blessing that they didn't get Stanton.

I really feel for their fans. The giants are in about the same shape as the cubs were when Theo took over. I think SF might even have more bad contracts than the cubs did.

I'd call SF desperate but I think it's beyond that now.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 27, 2017 -> 02:01 PM)
I really feel for their fans. The giants are in about the same shape as the cubs were when Theo took over. I think SF might even have more bad contracts than the cubs did.

They have won 3 titles. I'd say they're doing all right

Personally I am so jealous of their fans. They have experienced more World Series winners since 2010 than probably any living White Sox fan, even those aged in the triple digits.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 26, 2017 -> 08:46 PM)
But the White Sox are in a position where by 2019, Kopech, Lopez, Giolito, Fulmer, and Hansen are all, barring injury, going to get extended stretches in the big leagues to prove themselves. And there's more behind them, and there's Rodon.

These guys may not all succeed...but until you're confident one of them is useless, you have to know what spot they're going to take. Theres a nonzero chance I'll be saying we need to trade Hansen next offseason if the other guys hold their own, because there's only 5 rotation spots and we have more than 5 near-MLB-ready guys already.

I understand that, but if you are confident in an established free agent fitting into your window, you don't pass on him because of your minor league depth, that's too risky. Unless it's 5 Kopechs. I'm not saying Arrieta is that guy by any means, but by 2019 one of those 5 guys mentioned may need a new elbow, another may be deemed useless already, and then your rotation is incomplete. And if your young bats are ready to roll, you may wish you had a quality veteran arm in that rotation.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 27, 2017 -> 03:26 PM)
I understand that, but if you are confident in an established free agent fitting into your window, you don't pass on him because of your minor league depth, that's too risky. Unless it's 5 Kopechs. I'm not saying Arrieta is that guy by any means, but by 2019 one of those 5 guys mentioned may need a new elbow, another may be deemed useless already, and then your rotation is incomplete. And if your young bats are ready to roll, you may wish you had a quality veteran arm in that rotation.

Then save your money this year, work the guys this year, and see who gets hurt. Maybe it's a pitcher, maybe it's a position player. Then replace that guy for the 2019 season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2017 -> 02:27 PM)
Then save your money this year, work the guys this year, and see who gets hurt. Maybe it's a pitcher, maybe it's a position player. Then replace that guy for the 2019 season.

My point is you'll never be able to sign a SP the caliber of Arrieta for the contract he is going to get this offseason BECAUSE all the big market teams are saving for next year.. This may be the time to bite

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 27, 2017 -> 02:58 PM)
My point is you'll never be able to sign a SP the caliber of Arrieta for the contract he is going to get this offseason BECAUSE all the big market teams are saving for next year.. This may be the time to bite

Boras is his agent. He isn't signing for cheap,and in the 1,000,000 to one shot he does, he would make sure there was an opt out after year one. So you would have him for a worthless year, if he's as good as you say, he leaves or you pay him, if he falls apart, you are stuck with him. If you trade him, you won't get too much, for 2 months considering what people here thought Machado would cost for a year. So you would basically buy a mediocre basket of prospects for at least $15 million, plus the risk of him getting hurt or being ineffective. I don't think JR could or should be sold that.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Dec 27, 2017 -> 02:08 PM)
They have won 3 titles. I'd say they're doing all right

I'm talking about the shape that team is currently in and the direction it's heading. SF has some bad contracts and no farm. Their fans are in for a long rebuild when it happens.

Look at these contracts. their length and the ages of their highest-paid players.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SF...contracts.shtml

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 27, 2017 -> 05:58 PM)
Look at these contracts. their length and the ages of their highest-paid players.

It's the price you pay for winning. Boston, the Yankees, Dodgers, Tigers, and the Cubs, have had and in the Cubs case, will have, the same issue if they want to keep their players or bring stars in.

Even if all goes perfect for the White Sox, at some point, the kids grow up and have to be paid, and the 5 WAR player. Has to be paid like one, and those contracts almost to a fault, don't end well for the team.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 27, 2017 -> 06:58 PM)

This reinforces my oft expressed opinion that GM's are usually outwitted by the agents to the point where they (GMs) really look stupid, and they would not make it in any other industry.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 27, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)
I'm talking about the shape that team is currently in and the direction it's heading. SF has some bad contracts and no farm. Their fans are in for a long rebuild when it happens.

I'll gladly take 3 championships in 7 years and being in the dweller for a while.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 27, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)

That statement could be made about the Blackhawks. I think we all agree that whatever happens with the Hawks, it was worth it.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 27, 2017 -> 05:58 PM)

That's pretty ugly. I know SF battled a ton of injuries last year but they need everything to go right next year to be competitive. The third place Rockies won 87 games last year. That's 23 games the Giants need to make up just to get back to third place. Lol, good luck.