2017-2018 MLB player movement rumors and reports

southsider2k5

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 11:31 AM)
Or Aroldis Chapman.

The weird thing about the Sammy stuff is that Ricketts seems to be the only one who gives a s***. And he didn't even own the team then. The fans want him back, nobody feels betrayed by any steroid use. Say what you want, but those were fun times while it was going on and those guys were just clobbering baseballs. There's nothing for him to apologize for, just a weird grudge Ricketts is holding onto.

I would disagree with this. There are people including, obviously, many who vote for the HOF.

I also disagree they were fun times, but I also prefer a 2-1 pitchers duel over a 10-9 awful pitched game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 11:31 AM)
Or Aroldis Chapman.

The weird thing about the Sammy stuff is that Ricketts seems to be the only one who gives a s***. And he didn't even own the team then. The fans want him back, nobody feels betrayed by any steroid use. Say what you want, but those were fun times while it was going on and those guys were just clobbering baseballs. There's nothing for him to apologize for, just a weird grudge Ricketts is holding onto.

Cubs fans want Sosa back? That’s news to me.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 04:32 PM)
I would disagree with this. There are people including, obviously, many who vote for the HOF.

I also disagree they were fun times, but I also prefer a 2-1 pitchers duel over a 10-9 awful pitched game.

Im Not talking about putting him in the HOF, just simply throwing out a first pitch.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 05:02 PM)
Cubs fans want Sosa back? That’s news to me.

Almost all of them I have heard speak about him want to let him appear at Wrigley.

18:$10M, 19:$10.5M club option ($1M buyout), 20:$11.5M club option ($0.5M buyout)

Josh Harrison's exactly the kind of winning player the White Sox need...but not sure about the asking price. Would much rather leverage assets at the minor league level for a relatively younger player than overpaying for vets in their 30's (unless you're talking Machado/Harper/Arenado as FA's, who are anomalies).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 06:57 PM)
18:$10M, 19:$10.5M club option ($1M buyout), 20:$11.5M club option ($0.5M buyout)

Josh Harrison's exactly the kind of winning player the White Sox need...but not sure about the asking price. Would much rather leverage assets at the minor league level for a relatively younger player than overpaying for vets in their 30's (unless you're talking Machado/Harper/Arenado as FA's, who are anomalies).

No he isn’t. He may be better than Sanchez, but by how much? I see absolutely zero reason to acquire him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 08:34 PM)
No he isn't. He may be better than Sanchez, but by how much? I see absolutely zero reason to acquire him.

Harrison has averaged a 3 war over a four year period.

If you take into consideration the cost, and his salary, and that he's already 30 (thought he was 28 or 29)...it's probably not worth it.

Of course, he had one season with well over a 5 war, which we all know Sanchez is never going to put up. If you eliminate that 5.3 from his last four years, he's a 2.2 or 2.3 war guy coming from the NL over to the AL (so that's pretty close to what you'd expect from Sanchez, I suppose).

I believe there's definitely a value to having a player coming from a team with a winning tradition and playoff experience, but, overall, probably not worth the acquisition cost at the moment.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 08:34 PM)
No he isn’t. He may be better than Sanchez, but by how much? I see absolutely zero reason to acquire him.

Not by much at all after looking at BR. Harrison has a little more pop but that's about it. I'll take the 25 year old slick fielding Sanchez over Harrison any day. I like Harrison but I like Sanchez more.

Buster Olney‏Verified account @Buster_ESPN 5h5 hours ago Some experienced agents strongly believe this: slow-moving market is not because of collusion; rather, the issue of tanking--the growing number of teams choosing to not participate in competition for players and wins--was not addressed. $ pocketed by teams, and not spent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 09:59 AM)
Buster Olney‏Verified account @Buster_ESPN 5h5 hours ago Some experienced agents strongly believe this: slow-moving market is not because of collusion; rather, the issue of tanking--the growing number of teams choosing to not participate in competition for players and wins--was not addressed. $ pocketed by teams, and not spent.

I mean, that’s totally what’s causing this. It’s really the reason the MLB needs a salary floor. Loosing the luxury tax strings will further impact parity.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 09:59 AM)

Someone somewhere linked a nice Yahoo article about this.

30% of the league is not even trying to win.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 12:34 PM)

Looks at last year's standings. You have a few powerhouses, a bunch of rebuilding teams, and then teams like the Pirates who are "trying" to win but never willing to spend money and prospects.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 11:58 AM)
I mean, that’s totally what’s causing this. It’s really the reason the MLB needs a salary floor. Loosing the luxury tax strings will further impact parity.

A floor would bring a lot more one year deals, basically spending just to meet the floor. GMs who are rebuilding aren't going to be willing to offer a lot of multiyear deals to free agents, they're just going to spend what they have to that year to meet the floor. Though it might make things more interesting for players in their age 30-32 seasons. Do you take an inflated AAV 1 year deal to go to a rebuilding club hoping to flip you, or a multiyear lower AAV deal to secure the years and choose the team on which you plan to play?

The players wouldn't want a floor, because a floor comes with a ceiling. But a ceiling would be good for the game. Pittsburgh and KC each had short runs after about 25-30 years of totally sucking, now they are done. The only difference is in the playoffs, KC made 2 improbable comebacks and played in 2 WS and won 1, and the Pirates just lost all the time in the postseason. The current model isn't sustainable for most of the league.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 12:34 PM)

The Cubs being so well known nationally have caused a significant issue in baseball: fans willing to endure bad teams and losing.

Hopefully, the teams don't take advantage of it and lose without really trying to rebuild.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 11:58 AM)

I think a big problem is that the owners have done too good of a job suppressing young players salaries. The whole team control and arbitration system needs a whole revamp. And now all 30 front offices realize this and all have similar game plans. Young cost-controlled players are all every GM looks for, they offer up the team-friendly extensions, then say good-bye at age 28-30. There are exceptions of course, but teams are so much less willing to pay for a guy who is about to start declining when you can have a cheap player for his 6 best years.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 02:07 AM)
Not by much at all after looking at BR. Harrison has a little more pop but that's about it. I'll take the 25 year old slick fielding Sanchez over Harrison any day. I like Harrison but I like Sanchez more.

Agreed. Can't see Sox paying that additional money for Harrison. Yolmer should keep improving, too.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 04:35 PM)
I think a big problem is that the owners have done too good of a job suppressing young players salaries. The whole team control and arbitration system needs a whole revamp. And now all 30 front offices realize this and all have similar game plans. Young cost-controlled players are all every GM looks for, they offer up the team-friendly extensions, then say good-bye at age 28-30. There are exceptions of course, but teams are so much less willing to pay for a guy who is about to start declining when you can have a cheap player for his 6 best years.

It's not just that - the lack of a hard salary cap is hurting now too. You have 2 behemoth teams, the Yankees and the Dodgers, that are well built for about $200 million, and one of them is going to add Bryce Harper next offseason to a team that already was really good. You then have a handful of other well built teams, but basically you have right now 4 behemoth teams, 2 of them with huge money spent. If your team wins 88 games next year, do you really think you can outgun the Dodgers in a 7 game series and the Indians in the next one? I don't.

Teams know that if they are stuck in the middle, that isn't good enough right now. They need to be exceptional, and they can't get there with the talent available.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 12:35 PM)

Agreed. If they aren’t going to pay players in FA then it is time to start increasing the costs of players in pre-arb and arb.