2017-2018 MLB player movement rumors and reports

southsider2k5

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 03:29 PM)
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/late...o-martinez.html

If Martinez does indeed become eligible to sign before June 15th, he'll have the open of signing either in the current or the ensuing period. That will help open up his options a bit.

And in the next signing period, we can only sign him for $300k.

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 03:01 PM)
The average salary has only jumped 28 times after inflation since they were artificially held down in the 60s? I'm stunned it's that little.

And "Since the first CBA" is a pretty terrible standard to use for this - the players salaries jumped by factors of 10 in 1967-1982, and again by factor of 10 from 1982-2000, then only by a factor of 4 over the last 17 years. Either revenue growth has dramatically slowed or the share going to the players has decreased dramatically.

It's still double what the owners received.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 09:52 PM)
If you think people don't begrudge the owners money you haven't read the posts on here about JR being a billionaire and too cheap. Or the comments about the McCaskey's being too cheap. This town dislikes most owners because they are rich and "cheap."

I totally am against the owners. They are the ones who pay the big bucks and started the escalating salaries. To show you how out of whack salaries are ... the owners passed the expense onto the fans with ridiculous costs for parking and food and drink. The sucker fans are willing to pay 10 dollars for a beer and whatever it is for parking. There's no reason with sound systems and TVs being as great as they are that anybody supports MLB teams with their attendance. People should attend minor league games and college games and watch MLB on TV. The costs are insane and I blame the owners. You can say what you want about how cheap it is to go to an MLB game. I don't buy it.

I'm not talking about nosebleed seats. Nosebleed seats reek.

I am totally anti owner. They caused this mess by paying so much.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 06:40 PM)
The F***?

Are you actually not counting the explosion in franchise value? Where they went from neat playtoys to billion dollar assets?

Thats what the article was referencing.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 08:05 AM)
Austin Jackson signed with the Giants. Could still see them grab Dyson and platoon the 2 with the other coming off the bench for Pence late in games to pinch run and for defense.

As bad as the free agent market its, somehow Austin Jackson got a two year deal.