2017-2018 MLB player movement rumors and reports

southsider2k5

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
This takes me back to the guy who like 15 years ago had the crazy irrational hatred of Bartolo... and here he is STILL around MLB.

Mark FeinsandVerified account @Feinsand Bartolo Colon may be 44 years old, but he’s not done yet. According to a source, Colon plans to pitch again in 2018. 0 replies 1 retweet 4 likes

Bart has families to feed

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 10:30 AM)
And a bad OF at that in an era where defense is counted more than ever before.

Although you could also argue that OF defense is also less valuable than it's ever been before, as the league has been trending to fewer and fewer balls in play. I wonder if Boras is actually arguing this. That said, I think 6/180 would be the absolute highest anyone would go, and even that seems like a big stretch.

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 07:57 AM)
And all it takes is one team to go nuts. But it’s hard to see a team shelling out that much for a 30 year old OF

That's the thing. I highly, highly doubt he gets in that neighborhood but all it takes is one team to bid against themselves.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
670 The Score‏Verified account @670TheScore 51m51 minutes ago The #Cubs "will be in contact with" free-agent closer Wade Davis, but he's "going to have lots of suitors," Jed Hoyer says.

I don't think I'd trust Davis to last an entire 4 year contract

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
And with where contracts have gone, you might be looking at $70 to $80 million for him.

That's the premium you pay for a guy who can pitch you through the world series next year if you have a good enough team around him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
That's the premium you pay for a guy who can pitch you through the world series next year if you have a good enough team around him.

Is that Wade Davis though? When he pitched two innings this postseason, he needed multiple days to recover.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 12:13 PM)
Carlos Beltran has retired. Yeah, I think he gets in.

It might take him a while to get in. He has the postseason moments, but he's way more of a longevity guy than all-time great. One top 5 MVP finish, only two top 10 finishes. He was never close to the best player in the league at any point.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
It might take him a while to get in. He has the postseason moments, but he's way more of a longevity guy than all-time great. One top 5 MVP finish, only two top 10 finishes. He was never close to the best player in the league at any point.

He was pretty damn close in 2006 (if he wasn't the best). He was easily better than Ryan Howard who won the MVP that year).

I think 20 years ago Beltran does not get in. He doesn't have any of the "Qualifying stats" like 500 home runs or whatever to get in. Closest thing he's got is top 50 all time RBI, but he's only 30 ahead of McGriff and McGriff didn't make it.

But...in the modern era, he's sitting at 67 career WAR and that's a hall of fame caliber number. I do think there will need to be some campaigning for him, but it'll be one of those that builds up into a yes vote over a few years of comments.

Andrew Marchand‏Verified account @AndrewMarchand 5m5 minutes ago The Yankees like the just retired Carlos Beltran as a potential managerial candidate, according to an official with knowledge of the situation. Yankees' GM Brian Cashman has always been a big fan of Beltran's on and off the field. It will be up to... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40009251-4 …

Jerry Crasnick‏Verified account @jcrasnick 3h3 hours ago Wilin Rosario is generating some early interest from teams in search of a bat. The former #Rockies catcher is 28 and just put up big numbers for 2 years in Korea. He's getting more calls from AL teams, but a few NL clubs have reached out as well.