Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

Realistically this story is running out of steam as it starts to become old news and will be forgotten soon like the Vegas massacre story, etc. As horrible as Vegas was, it's rarely mentioned anymore.

Thus my concern is we'll never get the unnecessary weapons of mass destruction out of the hands of troubled madmen who want to kill our kids, friends, teachers.

Regarding gunmen at schools ... Even if we turned our schools into fortresses where guns can't get in (you ever hear of a gun getting into a prison? make it as hard to get in a school as a prison), the madmen will find other avenues to cause destruction on people. They could wait for recess for instance or pick off kids as they load up the vans for sports competitions, debate competitions, right outside the schools. Or go to the actual Friday night football games with the weapons.

America needs to come together because our only hope is to get rid of these weapons. And that will just anger the machine gun lovers who will not give in quietly. I already heard Ted Nugent singing the praises of guns in response to this.

Guys like Nugent argue that the reason these instances get so bad is there's no resistance. None of the good guys have guns to put a stop to the madmen when they pull out their guns.

Does anybody have a way to stop this?

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 01:25 PM)
How about this idea from a candidate trying to unseat Peter Roskam, a GOP incumbent who doesn’t listen to his constituents?

He doesn't listen to his constituents yet has been elected and re elected 6 times? Sounds like the constituents are the problem, not him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 12:47 PM)
He doesn't listen to his constituents yet has been elected and re elected 6 times? Sounds like the constituents are the problem, not him.

He certainly hasn’t listened to all of his constituents, only really holding phone calls and not many town halls. Clearly he is not representing everyone. I posted this mostly because it was an idea for this topic.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 06:25 PM)
How about this idea from a candidate trying to unseat Peter Roskam, a GOP incumbent who doesn’t listen to his constituents?

This guy has a great idea! How can anybody argue with the premise? At least it's a start. Get this idea in the hands of the kids who have been holding the news conferences in Florida wanting immediate action!

So I was cooling off at the gym, and unfortunately Fox News was on the TV in the lounge. The first order of business was to mention why are people yelling about gun control before the bodies are in the ground. Then they showed the heartbreaking clip of the mother of the 14year old girl who was a victim of the massacre screaming for Trump to do something. The host actually said since when do we blame the president when bad things happen.

I would like to know the super secret things Trump is doing. Amber we need t9 build giant walls around every school.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 01:03 PM)
https://twitter.com/ap/status/964675496360456192

AP finally retracts fake news story.

So when someone deliberately lies to the media, what is their burden or responsibility in terms of reporting it?

Shouldn’t the news media also boycott Huckabee Sanders press conferences or ban Kellyanne Conway from appearing on tv? What’s the difference between all these various lies?

One is spin, the other is to intentionally cast blame or aspersions in a specific direction to create chaos or division?

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 16, 2018 -> 08:09 PM)
That 18 school shootings this year figure isnt exactly accurate...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/no-the...m=.4e7203f9b404

A week later, as a basketball game was being played at a Michigan high school, someone fired several rounds from a gun in the parking lot. No one was injured, and it was past 8 p.m., well after classes had ended for the day, but Everytown still labeled it a school shooting.

Only in America could someone firing off a gun in a parking lot while a high school basketball game was going on be not a big deal.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 02:36 PM)
Hey Greg, a Kansas Republican running for office is giving away an AR 15. Enter early. Enter often.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/19/politics/gop...away/index.html

I wonder if he would still be giving it away if his kid was blown away by one. Great candidate.

I don't even see how weapons like that being available to civilians is even a debate anymore. Australia changed it's laws in 1996 after the Port Arthur massacre. Seems like it's long overdue here.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 08:38 AM)
Only in America could someone firing off a gun in a parking lot while a high school basketball game was going on be not a big deal.

The point isn't to show that school shootings aren't a problem. One shooting is one too many. The point is to keep the debate honest and truthful. You should want that. The minute you start overblowing the problem and using false statistics, the other side latches on to #fakenews and all that nonsense.

edit: and that example of a shooting in Michigan clearly had a specific target that happened to be located in a parking lot near a school. That's not a "school shooting" that people refer to where a gunman enters a school and starts shooting multiple people.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:04 AM)
The point isn't to show that school shootings aren't a problem. One shooting is one too many. The point is to keep the debate honest and truthful. You should want that. The minute you start overblowing the problem and using false statistics, the other side latches on to #fakenews and all that nonsense.

Overblowing the problem? Good God man, someone just killed 17 people in a school. And it is a pattern that is developing. Whether that has happened 17 times or 6 or 2, what difference does it make? Something beyond thoughts and prayers, and the NRA check has cleared needs to be done.

It's too bad it's human nature to believe bad things like that happen to others. We all need to start acting like the victims of these massacres were people we know and love. I'm pretty sure Little Marco wouldn't be as disconnected if it was his kids' school that got shot up, or his brother at some concert some sick ass was mowing people down. Or his cousin at the movies when someone decides to kill people.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:04 AM)
I can't believe the number of people who actually suggest arming teachers as the solution. Double points for the venn diagram of "people who want to arm teachers" and "people who think teachers are lazy union thugs indoctrinating our children with liberalism" being a single circle.

LOL so true...

Can't give those teachers a raise, but how about a gun?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:06 AM)
LOL so true...

lol if you don't think they'd be forced to pay for it out of their own pocket, along with training. and that there wouldn't be a substantial uptick in suicides and shootings, resulting either from hot-tempered teachers or from "oops where'd I leave my gun?" accidents.

The other brilliant idea is just arming a bunch of unemployed vets and putting them at every school. What a complete hellscape world some people envision. Neither of these 'solutions' are being offered seriously, of course. It's just a way to appear like you at least care while changing the topic from any sort of gun restrictions whatsoever.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:06 AM)
LOL so true...

f***, they make teachers buy their own supplies now. Now you want to suggest that they all be trained, certified, and have a gun and everything necessary with a gun(holster, ammo, etc?)

yea, go ahead and raise your hand if you think they will fund this if it ever came to pass.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:04 AM)

edit: and that example of a shooting in Michigan clearly had a specific target that happened to be located in a parking lot near a school. That's not a "school shooting" that people refer to where a gunman enters a school and starts shooting multiple people.

Social media has pretty much ruined the chance of any debate being honest and truthful. Post a statistic enough times on Twitter and it becomes a fact.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:06 AM)
Overblowing the problem? Good God man, someone just killed 17 people in a school. And it is a pattern that is developing. Whether that has happened 17 times or 6 or 2, what difference does it make? Something beyond thoughts and prayers, and the NRA check has cleared needs to be done.

It's too bad it's human nature to believe bad things like that happen to others. We all need to start acting like the victims of these massacres were people we know and love. I'm pretty sure Little Marco wouldn't be as disconnected if it was his kids' school that got shot up, or his brother at some concert some sick ass was mowing people down. Or his cousin at the movies when someone decides to kill people.

Yeah....re-read my post, you didn't get what i'm saying.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:09 AM)
lol if you don't think they'd be forced to pay for it out of their own pocket, along with training. and that there wouldn't be a substantial uptick in suicides and shootings, resulting either from hot-tempered teachers or from "oops where'd I leave my gun?" accidents.

The other brilliant idea is just arming a bunch of unemployed vets and putting them at every school. What a complete hellscape world some people envision. Neither of these 'solutions' are being offered seriously, of course. It's just a way to appear like you at least care while changing the topic from any sort of gun restrictions whatsoever.

Love to live in a country where we have to have armed soldiers in every school and any place large amounts of people gather. Have to live in a police state to make sure we are safe because someone wants to have an AR-15 as a hobby.

The hot new thing in active shooter situations for schools is ALICE training. I forget exactly what the acronym is, but when you break down what they're really recommending, the full horror comes to light. Barricade doors, even if they open outwards, because then a shooter has to climb over crap. If the shooter's in the room, have the kids run around screaming and throwing whatever they can, basically just be as chaotic as possible. Give the teachers bags of golf balls to whip at the shooter.

It's not about saving the lives in that classroom. It's about making the shooter take an extra 10 or 20 second, 10 or 20 bullets to shoot at everyone there, which hopefully buys everyone else more time to evacuate or for the shooter to run out of ammunition. That's the reality that our teachers and our children have to think about with regular active shooter lockdown drills.