Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 04:20 PM)
Trump wants 20% of teachers to have concealed carry...

Compared to pilots having guns

Or 3-4 former Marines/Army/Navy service members posted at every school in the country. Or former law enforcement officers.

Costs?

Or we could ban assault rifles from the public, but nah

The Sandy Hook parent had a good point.

They’ve developed an internal training program for students/admins to identify and pre-empt potential shooters before it ever reaches that point at a very low cost.

Secondly, he mentioned his wife is a schoolteacher and the amount of stress that teachers already deal with doesn’t lend itself well to adding that responsibility of carrying loaded handguns to school.

I could see an argument for coaches/PE teachers or admins...but not someone who is responsible already for classroom management for 5-6 stressful hours per day, plus many teachers are substituting in their planning hours due to school staffing issues...adding yet more stress. And basically having to serve as quasi-counselors to a lot of the students as well.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 04:39 PM)

That’s exactly what concealed carry is...

If they put them all in a safe in the coach’s or principal’s offfice, the odds of reacting efficiently enough under a huge amount of stress in less than 1-2 minutes isn’t that ideal.

They can certainly run simulations, but you’re still talking about going up against even higher firepower (potential attackers will bring grenades or explosives) than AR-15’s armed only with handguns.

Because nobody besides the NRA will be for having 4-5 automatic weapons already on school grounds, unless we want to become China, Russia or Colombia.

Plus, the reaction time of former servicemen or police officers in their 40’s or 50’s isn’t nearly as good as at 18-24 years old.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 05:09 PM)
What happens when an overly-stressed teacher, barely making ends meet goes on a rampage with their government-issued gun?

Good point. Trump can list pilots, but that’s not analogous.

What about two teachers who are having a dispute...for example? There are lots of conflicts in that environment. Not just with students, but also teachers versus administrators in many schools.

Or someone’s having an affair with a co-worker, and someone else decides they’re an easier target now in the parking lot before school.

NOBODY would argue that postal service employees, for example, should all be armed.

I can tell you from personal experience my blood pressure went from normal to 130 in my early 30’s after just one year in a rough inner city school environment. More pressure/stress...more bad outcomes are bound to occur when someone snaps.

The students have drawn criticism from some conservatives who have accused them of being too young to understand the nuances of the gun-control debate or have suggested that they may have been coached — even going as far as to label the well-spoken survivors of the massacre “crisis actors.”

“Should the media be promoting opinions by teenagers who are in an emotional state and facing extreme peer pressure in some cases?” former Fox News host Bill O’Reilly tweeted.

“Their sorrow can very easily be hijacked by left-wing groups who have an agenda,” former GOP Rep. Jack Kingston said on CNN’s “New Day” on Wednesday. “Do we really think 17-year-olds on their own are going to plan a nationwide rally?”

“What, pray tell, did these students do to earn their claim to expertise?” Ben Shapiro wrote in the National Review. “They were present during a mass shooting, and they have the right point of view, according to the Left.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/parkland-student...-203145718.html

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 05:09 PM)
What happens when an overly-stressed teacher, barely making ends meet goes on a rampage with their government-issued gun?

Lol

Teachers already have to pay for pencils and markers

Now they'll be forced to pay for guns bullets and training while still being overworked and underpaid

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 05:12 PM)
Then every student should have a gun!

That will be the exact talking point from the NRA the first time anyone in a school snaps and kills a single student in America...self-defense/Second Amendment.

Imagine it’s a white teacher killing a minority student...or a black teacher killing a white student!!! Civil war.

On the plus side, teachers might get their $250 tax credit for buying supplies on their own reinstated, lol.

And then we’ll have a boatload of discrimination lawsuits against school districts...so and so NRA admin won’t hire me because I refuse to carry a gun or am a female/young mother and don’t want to die in my own classroom. Or those darn liberal admins won’t hire me because I want to bring a gun into the school, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 05:24 PM)
Everyone in a school will be doing this most of the day but with actual guns.

giphy.gif

That @#$&* stole my g/f!

I f——ing want to kill that mf@#$&ing teacher.

I was picked last for Dodge Ball! I’m not going to take it anymore...

I’m being bullied online...instead of suicide, I can now disarm a teacher and take out my enemy now.

I remember being in Veracruz when I was 15 or so, and thinking how word it was that there was an armed guard with an M4 standing outside the bank.

That's the vision for American schools that conservatives have. Give a bunch of unemployed combat veterans guns and have them stand outside every school in the country.

That's the very serious policy discussion coming from the same people telling us we shouldn't really listen to the kids who just watched their friends murdered in front of them.

What kind of f***ed up country are we living in if our teachers need to be packing? That is not the answer, Trump.

We are losing teachers by the dozens now in high rent areas. In San Francisco I saw average rent is 78% of a teachers salary. Don’t scare more away thinking they need a gun to do their job.and guns in classrooms every day isn’t going to end well.

Rubio stood his ground as well as possible. At least he showed up.

He’s trying to find the middle ground of separating himself from Trump and the NRA without burning any bridges...because he will run for President again.

That said, he comes across more empathetically than most Republicans. Someone has to compromise in the middle, on both sides. Not an easy thing to achieve in such as poisonous Beltway/DC environment.