Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:06 AM)
Bright Trump CPAC idea of the day...

Because all teachers love their students and all students love their teachers, they will be much more effective shooters than an SRO cowering outside with no connection to those students. (Obviously doesn’t know most public schools well.)

Love will help handguns outduel automatic weapons.

Problem solved. More handgun sales and trainings for the NRA.

Honestly, the thought has crossed my mind about how a teacher would react if forced into the situation of having to actually shoot one of his/her students to stop a threat.

I think many would struggle with knowing they took the life of one of their own students. Even if it did save the life of others.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:17 AM)
Honestly, the thought has crossed my mind about how a teacher would react if forced into the situation of having to actually shoot one of his/her students to stop a threat.

I think many would struggle with knowing they took the life of one of their own students. Even if it did save the life of others.

We'd see many more unwarranted shootings than one actually stopping a mass murderer. But it would mean probably 10 million more guns being sold which makes everyone happy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:32 AM)
We'd see many more unwarranted shootings than one actually stopping a mass murderer. But it would mean probably 10 million more guns being sold which makes everyone happy.

Agreed.

I remember some of my teachers from HS. Some barely had control of their classes/students. And I've seen a few videos online of teachers that don't have control.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 22, 2018 -> 09:16 PM)
I f***ing hate the NRA.

The NRA are not the problem. The people elected and running the country are. You heard Marco Rubio - he does not buy into the NRA's agenda, the NRA buys into his agenda. He believes everyone in America should have firearms, and deadly ones at that.

The solution is simple - activate the people who align with your beliefs and get them to vote democrat. Hope enough of them outweigh gerrymandering initiatives and the folks on the other side.

The NRA is doing their job. Our job is to silence them by taking the people out of office who are sitting on their hands we mass shootings become more and more frequent.

You have to love the hypocrisy coming from certain members of the right, complaining about teens being disrespectful towards Rubio and others for telling the truth. These are the same people who touted King Orange face for being so honest and telling it like it is. I guess they only like candid honesty when the answers don't personally offend them.

The CNN 'scripted' question 'scandal'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-w...m=.15d932856a30

Conspiratorial framework notwithstanding, Carlson and Haab did a public service by airing a detailed rundown of what happened. The quick and dirty: Days before the town hall, Haab told Carlson, CNN’s Carrie Stevenson — executive producer of special projects — contacted him about the event. “She had asked me originally to just write a speech,” said Haab. In the next round of correspondence, Stevenson asked for less of a speech and “more … questions that I wanted to ask at the town hall. The day after that, it was more of just questions. She asked for just questions that I would like to ask.” The goal of the exercise, Haab discovered, was one question.

“She had taken that — of what I had briefed on — and actually wrote that question out for me,” said Haab, who didn’t attend the event. “They had taken what I had wrote and what I had briefed on and talked about and they actually wrote the question for me.”

Carlson: “But that seems dishonest.”

An alternative interpretation: It seems perfectly thorough and professional. Look at what happened here:

--A top CNN producer — Stevenson — took the initiative to contact Haab, who had gotten on the network’s radar via previous interviews, including one with “Fox & Friends.” “If Coach [Aaron] Feis had had his firearm in school that day, I believe that he could most likely have stopped the threat,” said Haab.

--Stevenson asked Haab what he’d like to address at the town hall, and what questions he wished to pose to politicians.

--In an email offering four questions, Haab had included this: “Have we thought about having a class for teachers who are willing to be armed trained to carry on campus?” According to a CNN source, Stevenson discussed the whole thing with Haab in a phone call. CNN’s plan was to have Haab preface that question with the observation he’d already made on “Fox & Friends,” such that Haab would face Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) with these words:

Senator Nelson, if Coach Feis had had his firearm in school that day, I believe that he could have most likely stopped the threat. Have we thought about having a class for teachers who are willing to be armed trained to carry on campus?

According to the CNN source, Glenn Haab, the boy’s father, intervened toward the end of the process, insisting that Colton Haab present some “background” thoughts to precede his question at the town hall. “We are not actors nor do we read from a script,” wrote Glenn Haab in an email to Stevenson. “The short background before each question is extremely relevant to each question. “I[f] you want Colton only to read this one short question – we are not the right people for your town hall meeting.”

Yet CNN is a television outlet. It had two hours to pull off its town hall. That it worked with a high-school student to winnow his thoughts into one simple and powerful question for a Democratic senator sounds like the inverse of a scandal, despite the Tucker Carlson-informed thoughts of this country’s president.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 22, 2018 -> 04:51 PM)
armed SRO never entered the building, waited outside

https://twitter.com/passantino/status/966799616602615808

The three other Broward cops who arrived on scene first also waited outside.

Post-Columbine, the standard procedure is to enter immediately rather than form a perimeter because odds are very high they're just trying to kill, not take hostages.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 02:27 PM)
The three other Broward cops who arrived on scene first also waited outside.

Post-Columbine, the standard procedure is to enter immediately rather than form a perimeter because odds are very high they're just trying to kill, not take hostages.

Just shows how laughable their armed teachers solution is. If cops are hesitant, what the hell is some old fart with no experience going to do?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 04:38 PM)
Just shows how laughable their armed teachers solution is. If cops are hesitant, what the hell is some old fart with no experience going to do?

Only the best trained, motivated and certified will do. Top 10-20%. Ex military/police backgrounds, etc. Coaches, “deans,” administrators.

Trump will even give them a little bonus, but probably not $250 or $500 per teacher coming out of his Indian real estate proceeds.

How dare you': CNN's Camerota clashes with NRA's Loesch over her claim that media 'love' mass shootings

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dare-cnns-camero...-151738545.html

When did any news network argue that the NRA were child murderers? Fake news!

I have no problem with people who own guns legally, but let's be clear: the guns that plague cities from Chicago to Philadelphia flood in from states with loose gun laws, such as Arizona, Utah, Mississippi, Alabama, Indiana and Kentucky. In many cases, these firearms are bought at gun shows, transported over state lines and sold via straw purchases to criminals.

These guns cause havoc in communities of color, which Loesch doesn't know a damn thing about. Does the NRA believe gang members in crime-ridden cities are manufacturing guns in the basement? Via gun shows and astounding access to weaponry, the NRA and gun owners profit from this awful trade, even as gun victims die in cities like Chicago. In addition, where was the NRA when Philando Castile, who had a license to carry, was shot dead by a police officer?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/opinions/wha...cane/index.html

Edited by caulfield12

Cornyn pretty much announced raising the age limit to 21 is done in the Senate.

So now it will take another high school or university-aged shooter with a mass shooting...of course.

Then it will invariably be about the FBI, background checks, local law enforcement, SRO’s, teachers’ unions not arming themselves to prove they really love their students, our byzantine mental health system, privacy rights/due process, databases not seamlessly communicating, etc. Or just labeling every shooter as crazy/nut job/disturbed.

As long as we arming our teachers to harden our schools - we better replace any windows with bullet proof glass or cover with 1/2" of armor plate. After that's done the next easy target will be school buses. So we'll need armed bus drivers and establish armed convoys. Probably need to add armor plating to the buses and helicopter support wouldn't hurt. So this could be a new Army, National Guard or Marine mission - could take all three - good thing we don't care about the rest of the world. The next target will be kids that walk to school. So, we'll need to arm crossing guards and have snipers on roof tops. That should almost get us to full employment and keep gun manufacturers pumping out guns. Once the rest of the world sees what we've done, I'm sure they will want to copy us.

Less

Thought this was funny...along with Trump calling the SRO a coward when he, Bush and Clinton all dodged Vietnam, 4-5 different times

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 09:48 PM)
The FBI seriously f***ed up here. Transcript of the call alerting them to Cruz.

https://t.co/B82y7d4sJE

The police and the FBI missed all kinds of calls on this guy. Then the police stood outside while it happened.

It makes it a whole lot tougher to sell the narrative that we should leave it up to the properly trained authorities when they aren't really effective themselves.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 05:53 PM)
The police and the FBI missed all kinds of calls on this guy. Then the police stood outside while it happened.

It makes it a whole lot tougher to sell the narrative that we should leave it up to the properly trained authorities when they aren't really effective themselves.

These schools say arming teachers 'can be done right'

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/24/us/armed-tea...trnd/index.html

Must be fake news, haha.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 06:57 PM)
Instead of congratulating these corporations for severing ties with the NRA, how about we call them out for being buddy buddy with them in the first place?

Free speech, Citizens United, made huge profits for both sides...

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/07/01/us/us-nu...8-trillion.html

It’s like asking why we have spent $10-12 trillion on nuclear weapons and just a few hundreds of billions on climate change when the realistic threat of global warming to the entire planet is MUCH MUCH higher?

People just don’t have the attention span to focus on an issue for longer than 7-10 days anymore, like Kelly/Porter or the dueling memos. Sutherland TX barely registered on the radar after LV.

Only if something terrible happens that can’t be excused or rationalized away...even then, GOP Congress and NRA will double down doing the opposite until they’re voted out, corporations go bankrupt due to consumer boycotts.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 11:42 PM)
Instead of arming teachers, why not let the retired vets do the job? I bet they’d be way more than happy to each take a day per week protecting their community schools. Then we honor them and s*** and it’s all good.

The NRA will fund this for every school in the country that requests assistance?

They wouldn’t hesitate like the Broward County officers or SRO? Or wouldn’t the opposite be worse, shoot first and ask questions later?

How would that not double as a military recruitment outreach strategy in poor schools?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 05:53 PM)

It makes it even harder to run with the narrative of trusting unqualified people with a gun as the means of stopping something like this.