Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 10:18 AM)
That's honestly how I see a post-"arm-the-teachers!"-school-shooting playing out. I don't think you'd do that, but I think that'd be the excuse a lot of people who oppose ever doing anything about restricting guns would turn to. It's not like we don't see that playing out in similar responsibility-offloading situations again and again.

What, nobody in the school was armed? Well, we gave Mr. Dead Teacher the opportunity to arm himself to protect him and his students. He must not have valued their lives very much! Let's arm more teachers and talk about Mental Illness, something that's definitely relevant in all mass shootings and will actually have good faith proposals for addressing.

The FBI is really good at entrapping people in schemes that the FBI cooks up in the first place. Not so great at proactively finding and stopping people plotting on their own.

That is how you are labeling this? And these are the people who you want in charge of school safety. I don't see how you can reconcile your anti-police and establishment stances, while at the same time wanting to leave everything up to them, despite their obvious and repeated failures.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 10:13 AM)
Law enforcement failed these children literally at every single stage of this incident. We keep getting told to report, report, report. All of the reporting here worked out to 17 kids dead. Kind of hard to have faith in that system that seems to be taking agents buying lunches for families of potential NBA players more seriously than essentially domestic terrorism.

So ALL law enforcement is at fault here. Ok. I guess all police and all federal officers are worthless because of the actions of one location and one single department.

FYI, the FBI agents in Florida that were working this issue are in a totally different area than anyone in those financial crimes. Thats a pretty weak talking point.

Edited by RockRaines

I can simultaneously think that the FBI sucks at their job in general and doesn't pay nearly enough attention to domestic terrorists for ~reasons~ while also thinking that arming teachers (or letting them carry their own guns) is a disastrous and frankly disgusting response to mass shootings. I don't want our schools to be armed camps as if we're in a war zone.

Our society should be better than that. We should actually do something to prevent these situations before they happen rather than dumping even more guns into everyone's lives. Arming teachers against people who are willing to kill and be kill, as most mass shooters are, means that maybe only a dozen children are murdered instead of 17 or 24. It's a purely reactive measure, and if you're actually serious, you need to consider all of the ramifications of "MORE GUNS" beyond just stopping a mass shooter event. And, again, it does absolutely f***-all to respond to mass shootings and gun violence in general that happens anywhere else but schools.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 10:36 AM)
I can simultaneously think that the FBI sucks at their job in general and doesn't pay nearly enough attention to domestic terrorists for ~reasons~ while also thinking that arming teachers (or letting them carry their own guns) is a disastrous and frankly disgusting response to mass shootings. I don't want our schools to be armed camps as if we're in a war zone.

Our society should be better than that. We should actually do something to prevent these situations before they happen rather than dumping even more guns into everyone's lives. Arming teachers against people who are willing to kill and be kill, as most mass shooters are, means that maybe only a dozen children are murdered instead of 17 or 24. It's a purely reactive measure, and if you're actually serious, you need to consider all of the ramifications of "MORE GUNS" beyond just stopping a mass shooter event. And, again, it does absolutely f***-all to respond to mass shootings and gun violence in general that happens anywhere else but schools.

I love how you apply your leftist talking points to everything, even when it hasn't been said.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 10:39 AM)
I love how you apply your leftist talking points to everything, even when it hasn't been said.

I'm not sure what the "leftist talking point" there is. What specifically do you object to?

Should we not consider the negative impacts of adding more guns?

Should we not recognize that schools aren't the only places where mass shootings happen?

Should we not do things to prevent mass shootings from happening in the first place rather than increasing the armed response to them?

e: another thing to keep in mind with the Arm Teachers/Everyone! idea: the NYPD's accuracy rate in police shootings is something like 17%. What do you imagine the armed teacher's accuracy is going to be as they're receiving the biggest adrenaline dump of their lives?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 11:07 AM)
And to keep trusting the people who are telling you to trust them to keep you safe apparently.

What are you arguing for here? I can't tell.

Are you honestly arguing that because law enforcement failed, we need to have more guns in the hands of people with significantly less training?

Well, folks, this incident has about run its course in terms of the news cycle (not blaming anybody for that; it's what happens).

My point is we're now in waiting mode for the next incident to happen. No solutions are reasonable. There will be no consensus on how to attack the problem of gunmen in schools and churches and concerts and movie theatres. So we wait for the next incident as a helpless nation.

I wish the school districts would make an immediate response to get something done. Call off the rest of the school year until we get these guns off the street via law. Or call in the national guard to figure out a plan to have up to five guardsmen and women protecting the kids the rest of this school year. Of course that still doesnt prevent the gunmen from attacking the other avenues I mentioned.

Very sad state of affairs that we can't solve problems in the USA any more.

I know I am coming in late, but if I may offer my opinion on arming school faculty...

NO, NO, NO, f***ING NO!

With due respect to all posters in this thread, please do not fall into the trap of DJT, the NRA, and any other fool that thinks more guns are the answer. This is a distraction to shape the dialogue in the aftermath of Parkland while making it appear they hear and are addressing community concerns. Please do not even entertain the merits of this comical (and tragic) idea.

This country has too many guns, too great an access to guns, too big an obsession with guns, etc. We have abused and stretched the rights granted by the second amendment for far too long. It is time the citizens demand a real change in the national dialogue and our laws.

Guns are the problem, not the solution.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 12:05 PM)
I know I am coming in late, but if I may offer my opinion on arming school faculty...

NO, NO, NO, f***ING NO!

With due respect to all posters in this thread, please do not fall into the trap of DJT, the NRA, and any other fool that thinks more guns are the answer. This is a distraction to shape the dialogue in the aftermath of Parkland while making it appear they hear and are addressing community concerns. Please do not even entertain the merits of this comical (and tragic) idea.

This country has too many guns, too great an access to guns, too big an obsession with guns, etc. We have abused and stretched the rights granted by the second amendment for far too long. It is time the citizens demand a real change in the national dialogue and our laws.

Not to mention that the solution is more reactive than proactive.

Our first priority should be to figure out how to stop them from getting the guns and/or getting into the schools with said guns in the first place rather than coming up with ways to stop them after they are already in and shooting.

We need and deserve better from the police, FBI, and politicians. Get off the more guns. 4.4% of the world's population, 42% of the world's guns. We should be the safest place in the world by far if more guns was the answer.

If the NRA doesn't want something, politicians, even Trump who campaigned how no one could influence him, back off immediately. Get some balls Washington.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 02:40 PM)
We need and deserve better from the police, FBI, and politicians. Get off the more guns. 4.4% of the world's population, 42% of the world's guns. We should be the safest place in the world by far if more guns was the answer.

If the NRA doesn't want something, politicians, even Trump who campaigned how no one could influence him, back off immediately. Get some balls Republicans.

Fixed it for you.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 06:01 PM)
Source?

Around here, it's not in the news anymore, cept for Trump's boasts.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 06:03 PM)
"No solutions are reasonable."

Huh

The politicians are not going to attack the issue. We have to wait for the kids to get elected someday and get these f***ing guns off our streets. The current politicians will do nothing. Too much $$ from special interests at stake.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 06:05 PM)

NO, NO, NO, f***ING NO!

I'd prefer folks like the national guard being on school grounds til we attack the problem as a nation.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 07:31 PM)
I love that greg thinks this story has run its course because it's no longer being talked about on Fox News.

It's still the biggest story going right now on every other channel and online news outlet.

I hope that's true. I don't want the issue to go away. NO MORE weapons! Save our kids.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 12:01 PM)
I'd prefer folks like the national guard being on school grounds til we attack the problem as a nation.

A quick google search came up with approximately 90,000 elementary schools, 36,000 high schools, and 2,618 colleges/universities in the US. I did not find numbers for pre-schools.

So roughly 130,000 schools (not including pre-schools).

How many national guards do you propose for each school? Do we reverse the recent tax breaks to pay for this?

Yeah, Trump would have gone in there without a weapon. For sure.

has admitted to finding the sight of blood “disgusting.” In a 2008 interview with Howard Stern, Trump told the shock jock that he turned away from an injured elderly man who had fallen off the stage at a Mar-a-Lago benefit because he couldn’t stomach the sight of blood.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 12:53 PM)
Yeah, Trump would have gone in there without a weapon. For sure.

has admitted to finding the sight of blood “disgusting.” In a 2008 interview with Howard Stern, Trump told the shock jock that he turned away from an injured elderly man who had fallen off the stage at a Mar-a-Lago benefit because he couldn’t stomach the sight of blood.

He also looked like he soiled his pants that one time someone lunged at the stage at one of his rallies.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 02:55 PM)
He also looked like he soiled his pants that one time someone lunged at the stage at one of his rallies.

I posted elsewhere too, but lest we forget his run in with the bald eagle...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/am...t-a6767501.html

To be fair, we have a cockatiel and it freaks me out every time it lands on me, but I also don't claim to be some tough guy. This guy is a colossal sally.