Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 22, 2018 -> 09:15 AM)
I think these politicians always discount the younger voters since they typically don't show up to the polls. It's different now though. These kids are energized now and it's because their actual lives are now in danger. They will definitely be voting so hopefully they vote out all of these useless turds.

I think it is more that from Columbine to now, the voting base that has been effected by stuff like this is much larger than ever before. I truly believe a wave of change is coming as it relates to a lot of these matters. Not sure how drastic the change (if any) will be, but I think we are getting closer to seeing bigger change.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 01:24 PM)
I think it is more that from Columbine to now, the voting base that has been effected by stuff like this is much larger than ever before. I truly believe a wave of change is coming as it relates to a lot of these matters. Not sure how drastic the change (if any) will be, but I think we are getting closer to seeing bigger change.

I think this is a big part of it, and two other things:

- The use of social media by the students and forwardness demanding change is so different than most shootings which obssess over the murderer's motives and tactics. And I think this is a big development because it does not allow the framing to j ust be "man this guy was crazy", it's "why have we not done everything possible to protect us?", from the victims, from kids.

- Much of the population has incurred consistent restriction of freedoms in an effort to prevent these massacres, either foreign terrorism or mass shooters. And have and still do willingly put up with this because preventing loss of life is important. But to me it feels like it has been 15 years of gun groups saying "no, no, I can't sacrifice, it's this ,it's that" and people are fed up that they refuse to be part of the sacrifice to find a solution.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 03:04 PM)
"I like taking the guns early," President Trump says. "Take the guns first, go through due process second."

Imagine the s***storm from conservatives if Obama had said that.

I agree with him on it too, but there is no way to know what guns the guy has because there is no universal electronic registry.

Edited by RockRaines

It's a good idea to go through due process rather than giving police arbitrary powers imo

But it's more that it illustrates Trump has zero understanding of the GOP's or his own White House's policy preferences because he doesn't know a damn thing about policy, and everyone in the room will treat the President like a toddler because they know they have to let him rant for a while but that ultimately it's meaningless words. Just look at DACA--"I'll sign whatever bipartisan bill you give me!" "I'll do a clean DACA bill!" quickly changed to a far right anti-immigrant demand list once Kelly and Miller got involved.

e: he also blamed Obama 3-4 times, including first blaming him for not supporting Manchin-Toomey and then blaming Obama's support as the reason it failed.

e2: to be fair, he also said the Republicans were scared of the NRA multiple times too and that's why they never do anyhting

Edited by StrangeSox

@AP_Images

Follow @AP_Images

Worshippers clutching AR-15 rifles and some wearing bullet crowns, participated in a commitment ceremony today at World Peace and Unification Sanctuary, in Newfoundland, Pa. The event led a nearby school to cancel classes for the day.

Insane photos at the link

I have no words.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 04:04 PM)
"I like taking the guns early," President Trump says. "Take the guns first, go through due process second."

Imagine the s***storm from conservatives if Obama had said that.

For the record, the Fox News story on the meeting does not include that quote. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/28...ty-session.html

Thought that was interesting... not surprising, but interesting.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 03:18 PM)
For the record, the Fox News story on the meeting does not include that quote. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/28...ty-session.html

Thought that was interesting... not surprising, but interesting.

This is so their followers can claim FAKE NEWS!!! later on when someone tells them that Trump actually said this.

I think, for the first time, Trump has an actual, personal opinion about something. I think he's actually anti-gun. There's no other explanation to that roundtable today. This is insane and fascinating and.... wow. This has been one hell of a day in Trumpworld.

If we win back Congress, we'll have a Democrat in office. I'm more sure of it than ever.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 08:43 PM)
I think, for the first time, Trump has an actual, personal opinion about something. I think he's actually anti-gun. There's no other explanation to that roundtable today. This is insane and fascinating and.... wow. This has been one hell of a day in Trumpworld.

If we win back Congress, we'll have a Democrat in office. I'm more sure of it than ever.

It was essentially the same as the DACA meeting where he agreed with passing a clean dream act and then with supporting whatever Congress came up with. Why do you think he has any idea what he's talking about and won't get his ear bent by senior White House staff yet again?

The Illinois General Assembly took up four bills today. My rep, David Olsen (R, IL) voted yes to support new licensing agreements for firearm dealers, create a gun dealer licensing board on one bill, to support the ban of bum stocks on another bill, to support a 72 hour waiting period before buying assault weapons and 50 caliber rifles. Voted no on the bill that increased the age to 21 for buying assault weapons and high frequency magazines and banning .50 caliber rifle. Four separate bills.

I wonder if he would support a revised bill to raise the age limit without banning rifles. Jeanne Ives voted no on all of these bills, probably to play the political game with Bruce Rauner ahead of the primary on March 20.

Edited by New Era on South Side

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 09:40 PM)
It was essentially the same as the DACA meeting where he agreed with passing a clean dream act and then with supporting whatever Congress came up with. Why do you think he has any idea what he's talking about and won't get his ear bent by senior White House staff yet again?

There’s almost no one left for him to talk to?

Since Trump and some republicans counter that this is a mental health problem and not a gun problem, what can they actually do about mental health? Throw money at the problem? Unlikely. Enact the Obama executive order (that Trump got rid of) under actual legislation? What would they actually propose?

Also, what can be done about guns bought in neighboring states that are brought back to Illinois and put in the wrong hands (gangs)? What can be done about that?

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 07:53 AM)
Since Trump and some republicans counter that this is a mental health problem and not a gun problem, what can they actually do about mental health? Throw money at the problem? Unlikely. Enact the Obama executive order (that Trump got rid of) under actual legislation? What would they actually propose?

Also, what can be done about guns bought in neighboring states that are brought back to Illinois and put in the wrong hands (gangs)? What can be done about that?

It needs to have Federal backing. That is the only way to make change. Illinois can change it some, it will help but the federal government needs to do something similar to Illinois at a minimum. I'm the first person to say their should be fewer federal regulations and the states should have more autonomy. But something like this is just reasonable for safety. Automatic weapons and high capacity magazines, while fun to play with, are just too tempting for the wrong people to cause massive damage. For whatever reason more and more people are thinking this type of action is a good idea so unfortunately these changes need to be made.

We will never be able to stop all incidences. If someone really wants to do this they will find a way such as bombings instead of automatic weapons. However, it should be made as difficult as possible.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 07:53 AM)

Indiana just now legalized alcohol sales on sunday. They arent going to change their gun laws anytime soon.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 08:08 AM)
It needs to have Federal backing. That is the only way to make change. Illinois can change it some, it will help but the federal government needs to do something similar to Illinois at a minimum. I'm the first person to say their should be fewer federal regulations and the states should have more autonomy. But something like this is just reasonable for safety. Automatic weapons and high capacity magazines, while fun to play with, are just too tempting for the wrong people to cause massive damage. For whatever reason more and more people are thinking this type of action is a good idea so unfortunately these changes need to be made.

We will never be able to stop all incidences. If someone really wants to do this they will find a way such as bombings instead of automatic weapons. However, it should be made as difficult as possible.

Illinois changing a little will help. Everyone always points to Chicago as a reason why gun laws dont work, but literally a mile outside of city limits the laws are totally different. Thats a problem.