Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 08:22 AM)
Illinois changing a little will help. Everyone always points to Chicago as a reason why gun laws dont work, but literally a mile outside of city limits the laws are totally different. Thats a problem.

Something like 60% of guns used in violent crimes in Chicago come from out-of-state.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 08:08 AM)
It needs to have Federal backing. That is the only way to make change. Illinois can change it some, it will help but the federal government needs to do something similar to Illinois at a minimum. I'm the first person to say their should be fewer federal regulations and the states should have more autonomy. But something like this is just reasonable for safety. Automatic weapons and high capacity magazines, while fun to play with, are just too tempting for the wrong people to cause massive damage. For whatever reason more and more people are thinking this type of action is a good idea so unfortunately these changes need to be made.

We will never be able to stop all incidences. If someone really wants to do this they will find a way such as bombings instead of automatic weapons. However, it should be made as difficult as possible.

I think related is some really great reporting the Tribune has been doing on the gun that was used recently to kill Commander Bauer.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/b...0228-story.html

Legally bought in a gun store in wisconsin, then sold to a friend in a gun club. That friend then sold it through a website that doesn't demand identification of the buyer.

The whole story is very well done, I highly recommend if you have access.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 10:02 AM)
I think related is some really great reporting the Tribune has been doing on the gun that was used recently to kill Commander Bauer.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/b...0228-story.html

Legally bought in a gun store in wisconsin, then sold to a friend in a gun club. That friend then sold it through a website that doesn't demand identification of the buyer.

The whole story is very well done, I highly recommend if you have access.

Right-click link

open in Incognito mode.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 07:38 AM)
YouTube shooter has Arabic heritage.

She was upset that YouTube demonetized her animal rights videos.

Can't wait for the right wing thoughts on this...

They already started yesterday.

Every time I hear about arming teachers I picture a third grade teacher with a holster hugging a kid.

To be useful a gun needs to be ready to shoot and available quickly. Do we put gun safes in schools? Holsters for teachers? Easy access for the teacher is also easy access for kids.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Police searching for 29 year old Travis Reinking of Morton, IL

His father should be charged with murder. For once they took away guns from a crazy dude, but his Dad just hands them back to him. It's on the dad just as much.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2018 at 8:13 PM, LittleHurt05 said:

His father should be charged with murder. For once they took away guns from a crazy dude, but his Dad just hands them back to him. It's on the dad just as much.

I wonder why they were returned to anyone? The man (not a kid) was an adult and should just have had his property seized. Why even give it to the dad?

And still not comment, middle of the night tweet, etc from the President. 

• Thanks 1

I have just joined this thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned.  Number of lives taken (non-suicide) v number of lives saved ?  It's quite outstanding how much more protection there is with gun ownership than without.

18 minutes ago, brett05 said:

I have just joined this thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned.  Number of lives taken (non-suicide) v number of lives saved ?  It's quite outstanding how much more protection there is with gun ownership than without.

How exactly would you quantify number of lives saved? 

20 minutes ago, brett05 said:

Is there a link to these figures you forgot to post?