Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

Is anyone here even arguing that gun protection is bad? It's just the type of gun that should be allowed.

The Jay Feely picture controversy was so fn stupid because people have been taking joke pics like that before, plus he had the type of gun most people would agree that he has the right to responsibly own.

15 minutes ago, Brian said:

Is anyone here even arguing that gun protection is bad? It's just the type of gun that should be allowed.

The Jay Feely picture controversy was so fn stupid because people have been taking joke pics like that before, plus he had the type of gun most people would agree that he has the right to responsibly own.

Yes because you're far more likely to wind up having someone in your own family shot by you or shot accidentally or dead by suicide than you are to defend yourself against the fantasy intruder like people want to believe will heroically happen. More privately owned guns is strongly correlated with more gun deaths and this is one where you can establish causation - you watch how the states change as they make their laws less restrictive, and you watch the death rate go up.

It's a "I feel powerful and safe" fantasy that you're deluding yourself into by owning one.

35 minutes ago, brett05 said:

I have just joined this thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned.  Number of lives taken (non-suicide) v number of lives saved ?  It's quite outstanding how much more protection there is with gun ownership than without.

Why would you exclude lives taken by suicide from the equation?  

Some good stats on firearms and suicides in the linked article below.  Pay particular attention to the drop in suicides in the Israeli military after the army stopped letting soldiers bring their firearms home on weekends...

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/09/upshot/gun-deaths-are-mostly-suicides.html

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking the other day ... I have no desire to hold a gun or shoot a gun ever. It's not on my bucket list. I do have some friends who hunt pheasant in the hills of Kansas though. And I have fished in my life and sort of enjoy fishing. But what's the big allure of guns? F--k guns. I don't need 'em. None of us need 'em. Peace, baby. We need to be like Europeans and not want to possess firearms.

Edited by greg775

On 5/11/2018 at 9:31 PM, greg775 said:

I was thinking the other day ... I have no desire to hold a gun or shoot a gun ever. It's not on my bucket list. I do have some friends who hunt pheasant in the hills of Kansas though. And I have fished in my life and sort of enjoy fishing. But what's the big allure of guns? F--k guns. I don't need 'em. None of us need 'em. Peace, baby. We need to be like Europeans and not want to possess firearms.

I will never own a gun. That's my choice.

That said; I will never say as an absolute that no one should own guns.

There are parts of this country where guns are important for personal protection; such as for rural home owners. And, they can be a tool to be used by a farmer/business owner to protect their livelihoods.

My issue has always been that there are areas in this country where people believe that they should own guns (via 2nd amendment interpretation), but really are never going to need them.  Those guns can put people (especially children) at risk of accidental death or injury because the owners of them are not responsible. They don't make the effort to keep others safe by having their guns safely stored and by being up to date on their ability to shoot those guns.

• Like 2

At the Daley Center, there was a piece of art that looked like a Divvy rack except no bikes. AR15s were docked in the spots instead. Gunsharing. It was removed after 1 or 2 days. I think they said it was some sort of permit issue, but that doesn't make much sense.

Edited by Dick Allen

56 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

They just interviewed some moron in a Trump hat walking towards the school shooting with a loaded gun and an american flag.  When asked what he was doing he said Making America Great again.

Dude, why

Didn't he look super tough with his cargo shorts and sunglasses and chicken calves? He was going to run in and save the day!

Here we go again:

Republican politicians offer thoughts and prayers, while Democrat politicians trot out victims to make you cry.  Then at night they go all home and sleep next to piles of money while the citizens bury the dead.

:usa

4 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Here we go again:

Republican politicians offer thoughts and prayers, while Democrat politicians trot out victims to make you cry.  Then at night they go all home and sleep next to piles of money while the citizens bury the dead.

:usa

Exactly.  All politicians in Washington make me sick

Sandy hook didn't change anything. The Auroa movie theater shooting didn't change anything. The Vegas shooting didn't change much besides maybe bump stocks. The Florida shooting (which I believe is the one you are referring to) didn't change anything...

At this point, I'm not sure what it would take for things to change.

27 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

Sandy hook didn't change anything. The Auroa movie theater shooting didn't change anything. The Vegas shooting didn't change much besides maybe bump stocks. The Florida shooting (which I believe is the one you are referring to) didn't change anything...

At this point, I'm not sure what it would take for things to change.

a sitting congressman was shot and it changed nothing, and he is actually being propped up by the NRA because of it