Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

I'm not exactly sure what can change to prevent this stuff from happening. I personally feel like bad people will find a way to do bad things even if there are strict gun laws. There are plenty of ways to get guns illegally and bad people will find the ways to do so.

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Has anyone here ever attended a Trump rally? If so, do they check for guns? 

Most likely yes. When Pence spoke at the NRA they had to ban guns on the floor due to the Secret Service requirements...

I'm so sick of the "thoughts & prayers" stuff. Thoughts and prayers don't help. They continue to not help, and unless praying and thinking AFTER THE FACT brings back kids from the dead, everyone can just stop with that nonsense.

It's time for people in charge to step up and make changes, not to pray and think; this is absurd. Absolutely sickening. If it was a minority, Trump would be pounding the table for stricter immigration laws, but since it's usually a white person, we just sit here with our thumbs up our f***ing a**es and "pray" and worry about s*** that should be secondary, like not letting muslim and Hispanic people in the country.

Edited by soxfan49

12 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I'm not exactly sure what can change to prevent this stuff from happening. I personally feel like bad people will find a way to do bad things even if there are strict gun laws. There are plenty of ways to get guns illegally and bad people will find the ways to do so.

It wouldn't totally prevent it, but maybe the amount of times it happens goes down. Doing nothing hasn't helped. More guns isn't going to help. If it was the answer, they wouldn't be checking people for guns at Trump rallies and at Pence's speech at the NRA convention. If more guns was the answer, and made things safer, why would they ban them at these events?

8 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I'm so sick of the "thoughts & prayers" stuff. Thoughts and prayers don't help. They continue to not help, and unless praying and thinking AFTER THE FACT brings back kids from the dead, everyone can just stop with that nonsense.

It's time for people in charge to step up and make changes, not to pray and think; this is absurd. Absolutely sickening. If it was a minority, Trump would be pounding the table for stricter immigration laws, but since it's usually a white person, we just sit here with our thumbs up our f***ing a**es and "pray" and worry about s*** that should be secondary, like not letting muslim and Hispanic people in the country.

Obama didn't do anything either when mass shootings happened. Its not just a President thing or Democrat or Republican thing. All I hear is something needs to change, laws need to be stricter but no specific proposals. If you start banning guns then you have half of America pissed off, then another mass killing happens and you have half the country saying if people had their guns then this could have been stopped. It isn't just a black & white situation. 

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It wouldn't totally prevent it, but maybe the amount of times it happens goes down. Doing nothing hasn't helped. More guns isn't going to help. If it was the answer, they wouldn't be checking people for guns at Trump rallies and at Pence's speech at the NRA convention. If more guns was the answer, and made things safer, why would they ban them at these events?

I think it is pretty obvious why guns are banned at events like those. I'm not sure how you can't see that

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Obama didn't do anything either when mass shootings happened. Its not just a President thing or Democrat or Republican thing. All I hear is something needs to change, laws need to be stricter but no specific proposals. If you start banning guns then you have half of America pissed off, then another mass killing happens and you have half the country saying if people had their guns then this could have been stopped. It isn't just a black & white situation. 

So, what does the country have to do?   If those things aren't the answer, what is?

He tried. His hands were tied. The little he was able to do, including a provision about mental health, Trump  repealed it.  

It pretty much is  a Republican thing. 

I think it is pretty obvious why guns are banned at events like those. I'm not sure how you can't see that

Oh, I can see it. It's the right that can't see it. They don't want to be shot, so no guns. Yet they claim we are all safer if there are more guns. NRA campaign contributions are a hell of a thing.

5 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Im with you.  Its all of the politicians.  they are so fucking afraid of the 2A people its shocking.  The amendment is there to make sure only the right people have guns, there are ways to do that.

Fucking restrict ammunition at least.  Do SOMETHING

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

So, what does the country have to do?   If those things aren't the answer, what is?

I have no idea what needs to be done, not sure if there is anything that can change to prevent mass casualty situations.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He tried. His hands were tied. The little he was able to do, including a provision about mental health, Trump  repealed it.  

It pretty much is  a Republican thing. 

I am not affiliated with either party and I don't think it is a Republican or Democrat thing. Like I said it isn't just a black & white situation, we have no idea what actually happens behind the scenes besides what the media says and I don't trust most of them.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Oh, I can see it. It's the right that can't see it. They don't want to be shot, so no guns. Yet they claim we are all safer if there are more guns. NRA campaign contributions are a hell of a thing.

You can't allow guns into a big event like that no matter what

2 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I have no idea what needs to be done, not sure if there is anything that can change to prevent mass casualty situations.

I am not affiliated with either party and I don't think it is a Republican or Democrat thing. Like I said it isn't just a black & white situation, we have no idea what actually happens behind the scenes besides what the media says and I don't trust most of them.

You can't allow guns into a big event like that no matter what

You are basically telling the NRA and the politicians who are kneeling before them they are full of shit. That more guns doesn't make things safer. Practice what they preach and see what happens. I will offer my thoughts and prayers in advance.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Why do you think this doesn't happen in other countries?

Canada doesn't have this problem.  Their country is so similar to ours, that if I dropped someone in the middle of it, it would take them some time to figure out that they left America.  Yet, no mass shootings.

29 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I don't give a s*** who didn't do anything. Trump, Obama, Lincoln, IDGAF.

It's also not my job to come up with a solution. It's their job. I do know that continuing to come up with ZERO ideas is not working out.

5 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Canada doesn't have this problem.  Their country is so similar to ours, that if I dropped someone in the middle of it, it would take them some time to figure out that they left America.  Yet, no mass shootings.

Less guns in the hands of people who shouldnt have them would definitely reduce both total deaths and mass deaths by the way of the gun.  Its indisputable FACT

32 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

They tried to pass the Toomey-Manchin bill but it was defeated by a Republican filibuster. This was like the absolutely bare minimum thing they could have done in response to Sandy Hook, and the NRA stopped it.

Trump was right when he called out all those Congressional Republicans as being cowards too afraid to stand up to the NRA. Too bad he also completely caved to them.

The gun control compromise fashioned by Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) was defeated in the Senate on Wednesday in the first major vote of a marathon session.

The amendment, which would have required background checks on all commercial sales of guns, got the support of 54 members and was opposed by 46. It needed 60 votes to move forward.

Edited by StrangeSox

6 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Metal detectors as kids walk into schools, extra security and police as kids walk into school + at recess, all doors lock to the outside during school hours, and as opposed to buzzing in and just saying anything to get in, someone is there to ensure it is a valid reason.

That might be a start.

2 minutes ago, Whitesoxin2019 said:

our schools have a problem. It's not guns. It's how we treat one another. The pattern shows all shooters fit a profile of social outcasts, bullied, and/or history of bizarre violent behavior, mental conditions, etc...

Nah, also mass shootings happen in more places than just schools. That's a great way of trying to shift the blame back onto the victims though.

Check out the real story behind Columbine. Far from being some social outcasts bullied by their victims, Eric Harris was himself a bully.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whitesoxin2019 said:

our schools have a problem. It's not guns. It's how we treat one another. The pattern shows all shooters fit a profile of social outcasts, bullied, and/or history of bizarre violent behavior, mental conditions, etc...

Copy/paste

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Metal detectors as kids walk into schools, extra security and police as kids walk into school + at recess, all doors lock to the outside during school hours, and as opposed to buzzing in and just saying anything to get in, someone is there to ensure it is a valid reason.

That might be a start.

turn our schools into prison camps to protect our guns!

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

💰💰💰💰💰💰

Not just that, but the people obsesses with guns will turn out to vote en masse on that specific issue in every election at every level while the majority of people in favor of additional gun control don't vote quite as reliably and don't vote on that single issue nearly as strongly.

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

turn our schools into prison camps to protect our guns!

Yeah, putting in extra security to prevent child death sure sounds like all the prisons I've read about.

Also, my argument is to rid guns, not to put these precautions in place so people can still have guns. It's to eliminate usage of guns for people who shouldn't have guns.

The amount of times I'd get my brother out of high school for a dentist or doctors appointment and I'd buzz in, someone would say "can we help you?" and I'd say "I need to get my brother" followed by a quick buzz to let me in was sick. I could have been ANYBODY with ANY weapon.

Edited by soxfan49