Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The ones who are in office and in power are representing their constituents quite well in this case.

I'm not sure I agree with this.  Every single poll I've seen has a very large majority of people in this country in favor of more gun control.   There are obviously some "areas" where that isnt the case but it has to line up with a majority of the politicians in office.  

4 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

My disgust with all politicians just grows by the day.  We put these people in place to be representatives of the people and they are anything but.  Its sickening.

This is the post of the year for the political forum.

Just now, ptatc said:

I fully agree with this. I don't have a problem with it personally.

My entire point is that when people say, "the slippery slope" complaint won't happen in this case. i think they are wrong. Once the barrier of gun control is broken down, the regulations will be much greater then these. 

Today people arent allowed to own every "arm" that is made.  So this restriction already exists.  I dont see clamoring for RPG's.  From my experience with other owners at ranges etc, these are people who have a purpose for their weapon.  Hunting, protection, whatever.  And banning certain types of ammo, accessories, models, and increasing regulations wouldnt effect them.

Just now, RockRaines said:

I'm not sure I agree with this.  Every single poll I've seen has a very large majority of people in this country in favor of more gun control.   There are obviously some "areas" where that isnt the case but it has to line up with a majority of the politicians in office.  

But...if they're willing to vote for a standard, more-guns-everywhere Republican, regardless of what they say when someone calls them on the phone, then they really don't actually care about that issue. The politicians are making themselves perfectly clear - more guns everywhere, and they have majorities in the Texas state House, Senate, Governor's office, ditto the national level. If they make their platforms perfectly clear and then people vote for them, they're doing what they said they'd do. 

• Like 1

Today people arent allowed to own every "arm" that is made.  So this restriction already exists.  I dont see clamoring for RPG's.  From my experience with other owners at ranges etc, these are people who have a purpose for their weapon.  Hunting, protection, whatever.  And banning certain types of ammo, accessories, models, and increasing regulations wouldnt effect them.

No. However, something like a ban on all semi-automatic weapons could be the next step from greater regulations in ammo, magazines and vetting (all of which I'm am in favor of).

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No. However, something like a ban on all semi-automatic weapons could be the next step from greater regulations in ammo, magazines and vetting (all of which I'm am in favor of).

I mean, its legal to purchase armor piercing bullets.  WTF would you need that for?

Ill add, they arent supposed to manufacture it.

Edited by RockRaines

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

god I hate to think this way, but tactically, what a setup for a shooter that would be. You get position and either you have a stampede when you take your first shot, or you have all of your targets trapped, or funneled into a single area.

Seems like it would also be a fire hazard.

4 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

Yes. most people are in favor of increased gun control, even within the NRA membership.

I mean, its legal to purchase armor piercing bullets.  WTF would you need that for?

I totally agree with this. It's asinine for things like this to be legal.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

god I hate to think this way, but tactically, what a setup for a shooter that would be. You get position and either you have a stampede when you take your first shot, or you have all of your targets trapped, or funneled into a single area.

Not only that, but what about a fire or other reason for evacuation?

It's everything but, hey maybe we have to do SOMETHING about keeping guns out of the people who do this hands. 

It will be "too soon", then there will be a call from the left about doing something, then some more crazy Trump shit will happen and we move on. Over and over and over again. 

Edited by Dick Allen

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Thats literally a sniper's dream.  Funnel every target out one exist.  He could mow down 50 before reloading.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would imagine he means after school starts. You obviously couldn't have that situation in case of a fire.

10 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Specifically the school shootings I don't think so, but other shootings and violence absolutely.

this topic I posted back in February:

A little while back, Dylan Roof. There were some anti-government extremists who murdered a cop during the original Cliven Bundy stuff. There have been planned parenthood shooters. Just yesterday it was reported that the Las Vegas shooter had been talking about FEMA camps and the government coming to take his guns.

From PBS last year:

U.S. sees 300 violent attacks inspired by far right every year

There was also the attack on the mosque in Quebec City (6 Dead) as well as that incident on the train car that killed two in Portland...

1 minute ago, Jenksismyhero said:

I would imagine he means after school starts. You obviously couldn't have that situation in case of a fire.

Our high school has an open campus, alot of the kids leave for lunch and come back. It saves the school tons of money and valuable resources.  There is no way to put that genie back in the bottle.

You sound like the unreasonable gun people you're complaining about. 

According to Twitter (read: who knows if there is any truth to this), sounds like this kid was a big fan of guns and nazi's. It's too bad we don't have this network of websites that dumb young kids post their entire lives on that can be used to possibly predict this type of behavior.

2 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Also, while we're at it, can we just kill these assholes? Why is this guy allowed to live out his days in a prison? Just get rid of him already.

The parents of the victims should be able to have that option.  I know thats inhumane and all, but jesus christ.

1 minute ago, RockRaines said:

The parents of the victims should be able to have that option.  I know thats inhumane and all, but jesus christ.

It's Texas so he probably will be on death row eventually, but what happens to the fraction of the families who don't believe in the death penalty? They shouldn't matter?

https://heavy.com/news/2018/05/dimitrios-pagourtzis/

checks all the boxes...Nazi insignia/iron cross on trench coat worn at all times despite Texas heat, bullying victim, was once an honor roll student, father supports Loesch/NRA, access to guns at home, social media postings about guns/violence/born to kill, white/middle class background, seems parents were separated?

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://heavy.com/news/2018/05/dimitrios-pagourtzis/

checks all the boxes...Nazi insignia/cross on trench coat worn at all times despite Texas heat, bullying victim, was once an honor roll student, father supports Loesch/NRA, access to guns at home, social media postings about guns/violence/born to kill, white/middle class background, seems parents were separated?

NRA members should know better than to leave guns unsecured, right?

It says in that article that his teammates said he wasnt bullied.

Edited by RockRaines