Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

4 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

NRA members should know better than to leave guns unsecured, right?

How can you defend yourself from Home Invaders Coming To Rape and Kill Your Family if you don't have loaded guns stashed around your house in strategic locations?

Just now, StrangeSox said:

How can you defend yourself from Home Invaders Coming To Rape and Kill Your Family if you don't have loaded guns stashed around your house in strategic locations?

My main home defense firearm is a shotgun.  Its located not far from my bed in an extremely secure safe.  The shells are in another biometric safe.  Common sense.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Quite reminiscent of the Columbine kids, Harris and Klebold...

You should really go educate yourself about those 2 before you make your posts. There's a whole book from the guy quoted here.

Cullen's book,"Columbine," was released this month -- just in time for today's 10th anniversary of the shooting at the Colorado high school. While tackling popular misconceptions, Cullen also gives a riveting account of what happened that day and how the survivors view the event that marked their lives forever.

Cullen concluded that the killers weren't part of the Trench Coat Mafia, that they weren't bullied by other students and that they didn't target popular jocks, African-Americans or any other group. A school shooting wasn't their initial intent, he said. They wanted to bomb their school in an attack they hoped would make them more infamous than Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh.

Today, after carefully combing through the boy's diaries, school assignments and police documents, journalists and investigators agree there is no evidence the killers singled out the jocks in a hit list. In fact, their victims varied in race, popularity, religion and age. 

Cullen said the myths were so widely reported that they were hard to take back later.

"You would have to go through a lot of corrections," Cullen said. "You would need to have something blockbuster to shake them [the public] up and say 'Everything you know about Columbine, let it go.'"

Psychologists who study memory say people tend to remember first impressions. In the case of Columbine, what the public first saw and heard in the news tended to stick with them.

Five months after Columbine, Cullen wrote an article published on Salon.com revealing that most members of a group dubbed the Trench Coat Mafia had graduated years earlier.

The Trench Coat Mafia was a nonviolent school group of computer gamers established a few years before the shooting, Cullen said. They feuded with the jocks and wore black trench coats. Harris and Klebold were not members, Cullen concluded after talking to students at the school and analyzing police documents. Neither boy appeared in the Trench Coat Mafia's yearbook group photo in 1998. iReport.com: How did Columbine affect you?

The two killers were far from normal teens. Harris was a psychopath and Klebold battled depression, according to psychologists cited in the book. Even so, they also weren't the extreme social outcasts and loners depicted in the early days of media coverage.

Records released later by the Jefferson County Sheriff's office showed that Harris and Klebold had their own circle of friends. Klebold took a date to the prom, riding with a dozen friends in a limo, just days before the shooting.

"I don't believe bullying caused Columbine," Jeff Kass, who covered the story for the Rocky Mountain News, told CNN. "My key reason for that is they never mentioned it in their diaries."

After a decade of research, including hundreds of interviews and relentless requests for evidence and documents, Kass also released a book this month called "Columbine: A True Crime Story." It provides comprehensive profiles of the killers and their motives.

Kass was able to get Klebold's college application essay through public records requests. The essay indicated he was a complex teen, who acknowledged hanging with the wrong crowd during his sophomore and junior years.

Cullen, the original Columbine debunker, theorizes that the public was afraid to believe Harris and Klebold weren't total outcasts. By identifying them as goth loners who were "weird" or "oddballs," it was easier to set them apart from other students and for schools to distinguish future potential shooters, he said.

"The bombs were inconsistent with what we remember," Cullen said. "We dropped the one that was true and kept the myth."

• Like 2

I don't understand how he had the space to make pipe bombs and pressure cookers without anyone finding out or thinking something was messed up?!?

Oh and fuck the media for plastering the names of these guys all over. It is exactly what they want

5 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I don't understand how he had the space to make pipe bombs and pressure cookers without anyone finding out or thinking something was messed up?!?

Oh and fuck the media for plastering the names of these guys all over. It is exactly what they want

Exactly, they are learning from each other.  Stop putting every piece of info out there.  

KIds dad is part of the problem here. He should definitely be prosecuted for careless storage of a deadly weapon. 

Cue Greg comments on publicizing killer/s in 3, 2, 1....well, for one, the Parkland students are going back into the media spotlight again, that much is for certain.  

And, because of the hotly-contested O’Rourke/Cruz race, they will have yet another CNN town hall, last time the Florida governor ducked it, we will see what Abbott does.  Also not sure the NRA is ready to trot out Oliver North to defend their positions quite yet.

Let’s not forget Sutherland Springs...happened so close to LV it always gets overlooked, this is two for Texas in the span of less than one year.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

Exactly, they are learning from each other.  Stop putting every piece of info out there.  

KIds dad is part of the problem here. He should definitely be prosecuted for careless storage of a deadly weapon. 

He's 17 right? The Texas penal code penalties for making firearms accessible to minors only apply if the shooter is under 17. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He's 17 right? The Texas penal code penalties for making firearms accessible to minors only apply if the shooter is under 17. 

Gross.  It should be anyone but its lawful owner.  I get its texas though.

I cant believe more people have died in schools than members of our military in 2018.  Lets swap some funding?

33 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

The parents of the victims should be able to have that option.  I know thats inhumane and all, but jesus christ.

You know, I was a youngster during 9/11, but I always thought that when they found Osama, they should bring him back to the US. Tie him up in the middle of NYC. For a $5, you can punch him once. You can get unlimited punches. Every dollar given goes to the victims' families.

Maybe we can do this for these idiots, too.

Just now, soxfan49 said:

You know, I was a youngster during 9/11, but I always thought that when they found Osama, they should bring him back to the US. Tie him up in the middle of NYC. For a $5, you can punch him once. You can get unlimited punches. Every dollar given goes to the victims' families.

Maybe we can do this for these idiots, too.

I want a fucking ban on putting these school shooters names in the media or anywhere.  Make them a nothing.  Report on the victims.  These idiots want the publicity.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

I want a fucking ban on putting these school shooters names in the media or anywhere.  Make them a nothing.  Report on the victims.  These idiots want the publicity.

Fat chance. The talking points provided to both sides (and the ad revenue it generates) to confirm their biases is too great.

• Like 1

I have to go on a run to work this out internally.  I'm sure im not alone in being sick to my stomach.  As a parent, you send your kids to school with the understanding you get to have them back when its over.  I cannot imagine that level of pain.

2018 has been deadlier for schoolchildren than service members

The school shooting near Houston on Friday bolstered a stunning statistic: More people have been killed at schools this year than have been killed while serving in the military.

Initial estimates put the number killed at Santa Fe High School at eight. We can compare that to figures for the military compiled from Defense Department news releases, including both combat and noncombat deaths. Even excluding non-students who died in school shootings (for example, teachers) the total still exceeds military casualties.

there was this WaPo article on it but I didn't see it posted in this thread yet

21 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

I understand and appreciate your outrage. I've had violent outbursts on soxtalk after some of the shootings. I'm getting numb to it now unfortunately. As far as the media coverage of this, it'd be nice to know nothing about the shooters but as you and I know it's rinse-repeat coverage during crises-es. Coverage of what happened and how it happened; then coverage of the shooter(s), who they are, why they did it (yes they become legendary names forevermore) and also coverage of the heroes. America isn't going to do anything about the problem. America is too split to truly care to solve the problem. What is going to happen (if there's money for it) is schools are going to be like prisons -- impossible to get in, impossible to get out. I wonder how this current clown got the two guns into the building.

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I got a little baby and my wife keeps saying he ain’t going to public school all the time now.  Sorry wallet 😐.  Thanks morons.  Frickin animals always ruining things.  Wait can I say animals here?

Our local private schools are probably less secure just by judging the outside.  I dont know if thats universal.

1 hour ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Also, while we're at it, can we just kill these assholes? Why is this guy allowed to live out his days in a prison? Just get rid of him already.

I've said that in some of my rampages on soxtalk and got fried for my position. I was saying, OK, we know who did it (like the colorado movie asshole; glad I'm forgetting his name), we are POSITIVE who did it, so kill him. We could look up the responses, but I got hammered on here. It's sad stuff but America doesn't truly care to stop it so we won't.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I've said that in some of my rampages on soxtalk and got fried for my position. I was saying, OK, we know who did it (like the colorado movie asshole; glad I'm forgetting his name), we are POSITIVE who did it, so kill him. We could look up the responses, but I got hammered on here. It's sad stuff but America doesn't truly care to stop it so we won't.

How the f*** is betraying our constitution and principles to make you feel better about yourself by being angry at the perpetrator actually going to "stop it"? 

Maybe you should have frowned harder at this guy. If only your glare had been more terrifying this wouldn't have happened.

1 minute ago, RockRaines said:

Our local private schools are probably less secure just by judging the outside.  I dont know if thats universal.

When I came to Chicago for a visit last fall I tried to get into Brother Rice to go say hi to the basketball coach and couldn't get in. I'm sure if I rang the bell, etc., I might have talked my way in, but I was kind of busy and left. But I guess it's nice my visit proved you just can't walk up to a private school and get in any more. I also tried to get in Queen of Martyrs church to look around and the doors were locked and I'm thinking it's because it's connected to a school. Kudos to them. Of course who knows what happens if a madman shoots off the locks and a madman enters.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

How the f*** is betraying our constitution and principles to make you feel better about yourself by being angry at the perpetrator actually going to "stop it"? 

Maybe you should have frowned harder at this guy. If only your glare had been more terrifying this wouldn't have happened.

Don't get mad at me. I was responding to somebody else's post on here wanting the killer in Texas put to death immediately.

Just now, greg775 said:

Don't get mad at me. I was responding to somebody else's post on here wanting the killer in Texas put to death immediately.

Read your own f***ing words, you getting to feel like a big man and having the Colorado shooter put to death more quickly is not going to "stop this". You said it would. Bulls***. 

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

When I came to Chicago for a visit last fall I tried to get into Brother Rice to go say hi to the basketball coach and couldn't get in. I'm sure if I rang the bell, etc., I might have talked my way in, but I was kind of busy and left. But I guess it's nice my visit proved you just can't walk up to a private school and get in any more. I also tried to get in Queen of Martyrs church to look around and the doors were locked and I'm thinking it's because it's connected to a school. Kudos to them. Of course who knows what happens if a madman shoots off the locks and a madman enters.

I think part of that is also its location.  Most schools will have a main office door unlocked, but everything else is locked from the outside.  

52 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

Gross.  It should be anyone but its lawful owner.  I get its texas though.

I cant believe more people have died in schools than members of our military in 2018.  Lets swap some funding?

It amazes me that in the 21st century that we avoid showing smoking on TV because of how afraid we are that it will influence kids to smoke, but we headline this kind of stuff with no apparent though by the same media ownership groups that it will influence anyone.