Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

Its hard to make comment or suggestions looking in from the UK , the sheer size of the USA (Texas alone is 3 times bigger than us ) makes policing this problem impossible , it has to be this :

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Actually this is it. We have to wait for the Millenials to take office and get the weapons off the streets. If the government has a plan to take over the populace, so be it. There's no need for all these weapons. Now, it's probably too late already. The kooks are not going to give up their guns. They will hide them and this leaves the opportunity for students to take their parents' guns to school to kill. The Millenials will eventually take over the house and senate and they might tackle the problem for their kids' sake.

7 hours ago, raBBit said:

Tony's version can't be right. He said something happened when it doesn't even start until October. I didn't defend a white supremacist. I watched a video of something and typed out what happened.

The problem here is you guys are convicting someone without trial on account of his beliefs. I am evaluating the evidence available. Our freedom in America is supposed to allow everyone freedom of expression even if they are bigoted. Being bigoted does not strip an American of their due process. Being aware of an individual's civil liberties doesn't mean I am defending a white supremacist. Someone professing that they think racism is bad doesn't make them a better person. 

Your take on her death is absolutely disgusting.. no surprise it appears you came up with it from an alt right conspiracy site 

Edited by Dick Allen

Those conspiracy hate sites that are pulling people from the middle to the extreme edges are the root of the problem in this country. The misinformation is too readily available and is presented as far too believable. If Trump wants to make America great, start by governing and removing those. 

21 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

Those conspiracy hate sites that are pulling people from the middle to the extreme edges are the root of the problem in this country. The misinformation is too readily available and is presented as far too believable. If Trump wants to make America great, start by governing and removing those. 

Yea but that would play right into the narrative of the tiny, tiny fraction of America that is extreme alt-right: “The government is out to censor free speech and quiet the free thinkers” etc.   

Can’t go after free speech under any circumstances.  It just can’t be an option on the table.  

I know Joe Rogan doesn’t qualify as conspiracy hate, but if you ever have the time, watch his long podcast with guest Alex Jones with an open mind.  It’s really fascinating watching them drink and get high while trying to get to the bottom of some topics.   Everyone loves Joe Rogan.  He’s just your buddy asking questions, without any hate or vitriol.  

30 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Yea but that would play right into the narrative of the tiny, tiny fraction of America that is extreme alt-right: “The government is out to censor free speech and quiet the free thinkers” etc.   

Can’t go after free speech under any circumstances.  It just can’t be an option on the table.  

I know Joe Rogan doesn’t qualify as conspiracy hate, but if you ever have the time, watch his long podcast with guest Alex Jones with an open mind.  It’s really fascinating watching them drink and get high while trying to get to the bottom of some topics.   Everyone loves Joe Rogan.  He’s just your buddy asking questions, without any hate or vitriol.  

Everyone is entitled to free speech and due process. As soon as you start restricting those, it becomes the police state that these wacko groups say is happening. It's up to the parents raising these kids to show them right from wrong.

With the population increasing there will always be a greater number of mentally unstable people that the parents won't be able to teach. I don't know enough about that to know if it can be predicted or prevented.

52 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Yea but that would play right into the narrative of the tiny, tiny fraction of America that is extreme alt-right: The government is out to censor free speech and quiet the free thinkers etc.  

Dude, that tiny tiny fraction includes the President, he talks about it all the time 

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

I do not think the first amendment covers internet websites pushing fake information on the masses for the purpose of radicalization.  They can certainly speak their minds to other people as much as they want (with consequences) but it does not entitle them to putting it on the internet in a format that mimics actual information.  Otherwise, what the fuck is "Be best" about?

28 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

I do not think the first amendment covers internet websites pushing fake information on the masses for the purpose of radicalization.  They can certainly speak their minds to other people as much as they want (with consequences) but it does not entitle them to putting it on the internet in a format that mimics actual information.  Otherwise, what the fuck is "Be best" about?

I would say that it still qualfies as freedom of speech. I don't agree with it but it still qualifies. Opinions are out there in many forms whether you agree with them or not. Not believing anything any one person writes or says should be something every parent teaches their children, especially in mass media outlets.

Edited by ptatc

25 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

Yes it does man.  Opinion is free.  Look at CNN or Fox.  It’s full of opinion now.  They report the news but you can definitely detect the approving or disapproving tone in every article.  Everyone has to admit that.  Most CNN articles will report what Washington is doing and hint at why it sucks.  Most Fox News articles will report what Washington is doing and hint why it is good.  Always been that way depending on control but now you can definitely detect more fervent agenda.  

So to say these crazy left and right wing outlets are more damaging or unacceptable brings up the issue of where to draw the line.  Some opinion is acceptable but some isn’t?  Since it’s all opinion now how can you even draw a line?

Trump wishing the news would go away is fascism.  The MSM suppressing conservative thought is fascism.  Colleges throwing out conservative speakers is fascism.  It’s all fascism.

And your suggestion is the definition of fascism for sure, and very condescending to the human brain in general.  People can say whatever they want no matter what, that’s America.  Just because CNN & Fox have billions of dollars behind them, their opinions don’t cross this invisible line of trying to twist the reader’s mind?

Jim Acosta has an agenda and the biggest of platforms.  Isn’t that kinda sick when you think about it?  

The Fight Against the Far Right Requires Tackling White Nationalist Institutions

Neo-fascism researcher Mike Isaacson explained to Truthout that conferences like these featuring "suit-and-tie" white nationalist personalities initially "provided a place for white nationalists who had previously only been organizing online to be able to actually meet in real life without having to worry about being monitored." Further, such conferences "offered a platform to the intelligentsia of the white nationalist right who perhaps did not have the credentials of Jared Taylor." With degrees from Yale University and the Paris Institute of Political Studies, Taylor is the founder of New Century Foundation and American Renaissance.

Much has been written about the state of the self-described "alt-right" white nationalist movement since it has come under attack from anti-fascist and anti-racist activists. On top of this, far-right individuals and neo-fascist cells have suffered significant blows to their ability to organize, recruit and put boots on the ground due to their own in-fighting, lawsuits filed against them and pressure from anti-fascist groups.

The dissolution of the Traditionalist Worker Party that occurred after its leader, Matthew Heimbach, was arrested for domestic violence charges in March has created a perception that the influence of the movement as a whole is waning. Because Heimbach had been a central figure among young white nationalists for years, his legal troubles, in particular, have led to a lot of declarations that the so-called "alt-right" is spiraling down the drain.

Yet recent writings on the state of the "alt-right" have not included much conversation about white nationalist institutions: publications, nonprofit organizations and "think tanks." According to Isaacson, the broad nature of the "alt-right" has enabled far-right operators to spread their reactionary ideas -- particularly their support for eugenics. This has occurred due to the influence of white nationalist institutions, which exist precisely to facilitate the spread of bigoted ideas.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/44478-the-fight-against-the-far-right-requires-tackling-white-nationalist-institutions

10 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Yes it does man.  Opinion is free.  Look at CNN or Fox.  It’s full of opinion now.  They report the news but you can definitely detect the approving or disapproving tone in every article.  Everyone has to admit that.  Most CNN articles will report what Washington is doing and hint at why it sucks.  Most Fox News articles will report what Washington is doing and hint why it is good.  Always been that way depending on control but now you can definitely detect more fervent agenda.  

So to say these crazy left and right wing outlets are more damaging or unacceptable brings up the issue of where to draw the line.  Some opinion is acceptable but some isn’t?  Since it’s all opinion now how can you even draw a line?

Trump wishing the news would go away is fascism.  The MSM suppressing conservative thought is fascism.  Colleges throwing out conservative speakers is fascism.  It’s all fascism.

And your suggestion is the definition of fascism for sure, and very condescending to the human brain in general.  People can say whatever they want no matter what, that’s America.  Just because CNN & Fox have billions of dollars behind them, their opinions don’t cross this invisible line of trying to twist the reader’s mind?

Jim Acosta has an agenda and the biggest of platforms.  Isn’t that kinda sick when you think about it?  

What percentage of Fox’s content is “liberal” or “takes the other side”?

10% at most?

I read a lot of CNN and I’d say somewhere between 1 in every 3 and 1 in every articles feature defenses of Trump, pro/con opinions back and forth taking both sides in an argument, etc.

There have been some cases recently where Fox on-line talent have famously disagreed with Trump or called him out, but that might be more to make a point to Trump directly (since he constantly monitors this stuff), rather than for the explicit benefit of their viewers.   Or maybe it’s to send a message to GOP members in Congress and around the country to stand up for their party?

When CNN does a town hall, for example, on school shootings, they invited Rubio and also invited Governor Rick Scott.   Scott simply failed to show up, it’s hard to blame CNN.   I don’t recall ever seeing a Fox & Friends host espousing a moderate viewpoint ever, other than perhaps Harris Faulkner.   If they do another (town hall) one on Texas, they’ll surely invite Cruz, Abbott and Beto O’Rourke.

Edited by caulfield12

30 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Opinion is free. The vehicle is not. And free speech still comes with consequences. 

Also, conservative thoughts and opinions aren’t being suppressed. That’s categorically false. I can scroll through talk radio in my car and 90 plus percent are conservative. 

Edited by RockRaines

4 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Good post. Surprised he had the guts to post it. I think some businesses would fire you for expressing an opinion publicly and also acknowledging God in this. I would think in the day and age of PC a chief of police might get in trouble for posting this. I feel his pain, though. He is upset as he should be.

20 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Good post. Surprised he had the guts to post it. I think some businesses would fire you for expressing an opinion publicly and also acknowledging God in this. I would think in the day and age of PC a chief of police might get in trouble for posting this. I feel his pain, though. He is upset as he should be.

Dude. Stop it. Nobody cares if you mention god in a statement. It happens literally all the time. Watch a single interview at a sporting event. 

17 minutes ago, raBBit said:

She was fat and it was hot. If you learned that while following the “alt-right”  then they are right in this instance. Anyone who has seen a picture of her and can google can see these facts. Your alt left conspiracies don’t change that. 

It was just so coincidental that that is what alt right sites said and you happened to come up with. I really am not that dumb. She was 32 years old. If being overweight and out on a hot day causes heart attacks as commonly as you and your friends want people to believe, sidewalks across America would be cluttered with dead people ever summer. The heat got to her at the precise moment the car ran into her.The mother didn’t want your friends to believe they killed her. The poor woman won’t let anyone know where she is buried for fear your friends might desecrate her burial site. 

If the heat and her weight caused her death, your comrade  wouldn’t be awaiting trial for murder.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, RockRaines said:

Of course they are. So are the massive radio hosts that have millions of listeners. 

When I did a ton of travel for work, I would often not even get MSNBC in the hotel's cable package.  Fox News was always available and often times the default station whenever the TV was turned on.