Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

That is the issue I have. Leaving it to the internet probably makes it worse.

Maybe, maybe not.  But I dont think the planning details and logistics should be something thats public.  These kids are learning from each other.

Wouldn’t that open up the press and/or government to all kinds of lawsuits if another shooting/attack happened (and all the information about previous attacks/methodology was suppressed) and it became clear that a way to prevent that attack that took place could have been put in place if not for making the information from it being made “confidential”?

Or would they simply have to change the 1st Amendment in order to accomplish this (prohibiting media coverage) in the name of public interest?   To me, it still flies in the face of the reason often given for studying history or publicizing an event...that such history gives us a way to study, prepare and prevent another attack using the information already learning and bringing resources to bear on the problem.

If they did such a thing, wouldn’t it also open up tons of loopholes where government/politicians could argue something was “too dangerous” for the public to be made aware of...seems like a huge can of worms.

2 minutes ago, BigSqwert said:

We're #1!  We're #1!  USA! USA!

The funny thing is, the stricter gun laws in these countries have nothing to do with it.  The morons in the NRA and all of the politicians that take NRA money, need to be put in their place. 

Edited by Dick Allen

They describe their methodology on their site.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/02/us/school-shootings-2018-list-trnd/index.html

We're only 20 weeks into 2018, and there have already been 22 school shootings where someone was hurt or killed. That averages out to more than 1 shooting a week.

The parameters CNN followed in this count are:
  • A shooting that involved at least one person being shot (not including the shooter)
  • A shooting that occurred on school grounds
  • We included grades K through college/university level
  • We included gang violence, fights and domestic violence
  • We included accidental discharge of a firearm as long as the first two parameters are met

On 5/19/2018 at 11:10 AM, Jerksticks said:

Yes it does man.  Opinion is free.  Look at CNN or Fox.  It’s full of opinion now.  They report the news but you can definitely detect the approving or disapproving tone in every article.  Everyone has to admit that.  Most CNN articles will report what Washington is doing and hint at why it sucks.  Most Fox News articles will report what Washington is doing and hint why it is good.  Always been that way depending on control but now you can definitely detect more fervent agenda.  

So to say these crazy left and right wing outlets are more damaging or unacceptable brings up the issue of where to draw the line.  Some opinion is acceptable but some isn’t?  Since it’s all opinion now how can you even draw a line?

Trump wishing the news would go away is fascism.  The MSM suppressing conservative thought is fascism.  Colleges throwing out conservative speakers is fascism.  It’s all fascism.

And your suggestion is the definition of fascism for sure, and very condescending to the human brain in general.  People can say whatever they want no matter what, that’s America.  Just because CNN & Fox have billions of dollars behind them, their opinions don’t cross this invisible line of trying to twist the reader’s mind?

Jim Acosta has an agenda and the biggest of platforms.  Isn’t that kinda sick when you think about it?  

"The MSM suppressing conservative thought is fascism."

Is not fascism. In fact the MSM going after Trump is the exact opposite of fascism. Free speech does not mean that private entities are required to give equal coverage. Free speech means that the GOVERNMENT does not use its power or influence to prevent people (corporations if you want to use the newest definitions) from being able to freely speak their opinion. 

If you want an example of fascism in media, it is when the govt begins to take sides and prevents the opposition from being able to write critical pieces.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/22/media/epa-cnn-associated-press-blocked/index.html

These type of actions are the beginning of fascism, and hopefully all sides condemn these type of actions and hold the current administration accountable. 

Edited by Soxbadger

3 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Imagine having your child slaughtered and then facing years of harassment from insane conspiracy theorists

That jackass actually had the nerve to ask for "privacy" when his wife was taking his kids away from him for being nuts. The fact that the President of the United States considers himself a fan of this guy's BS is really hard to wrap your head around. It's unbelievable. 

Edited by Dick Allen

10 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

It's funny because the people who pro-gun people think are against the NRA and ARs, are for things like this. Responsible gun owner, probably legally carrying, defends himself and others against an aggressor, with a reasonable firearm. Kudos to the guy because we see stories of carriers being to chicken sh*t to use what they are carrying in situations.

5 hours ago, Brian said:

It's funny because the people who pro-gun people think are against the NRA and ARs, are for things like this. Responsible gun owner, probably legally carrying, defends himself and others against an aggressor, with a reasonable firearm. Kudos to the guy because we see stories of carriers being to chicken sh*t to use what they are carrying in situations.

Several people unnecessarily injured and one person unnecessarily losing their life doesn't seem like a good outcome to me.

1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

Several people unnecessarily injured and one person unnecessarily losing their life doesn't seem like a good outcome to me.

By the vigilante? If that is true, my bad. I didn't see that anywhere.

On 5/24/2018 at 12:21 PM, Dick Allen said:

That jackass actually had the nerve to ask for "privacy" when his wife was taking his kids away from him for being nuts. The fact that the President of the United States considers himself a fan of this guy's BS is really hard to wrap your head around. It's unbelievable. 

It seems Alex Jones' 20 minutes of fame have been used up. Is he still popular? It seems to me he's considered a caricature or a weird uncle type. I did a youtube search and watched his hour long interview with Kevin Trudeau. Geez. Alex Jones does no homework, thinks Trudeau's books actually were valuable in curing illnesses. Jones' take on the mass shootings being fake ... beyond awful. They should take him to one of the cities where these disasters happen and have him go to the hospitals and see the injured and deceased. What a dope. But I thought he jumped the shark with Kelly interview and is now just regarded as a weird uncle.

On 5/26/2018 at 10:26 AM, greg775 said:

It seems Alex Jones' 20 minutes of fame have been used up. Is he still popular? It seems to me he's considered a caricature or a weird uncle type. I did a youtube search and watched his hour long interview with Kevin Trudeau. Geez. Alex Jones does no homework, thinks Trudeau's books actually were valuable in curing illnesses. Jones' take on the mass shootings being fake ... beyond awful. They should take him to one of the cities where these disasters happen and have him go to the hospitals and see the injured and deceased. What a dope. But I thought he jumped the shark with Kelly interview and is now just regarded as a weird uncle.

I think he's a caricature (as you alluded to) to most nowadays, but he still has his base and that's probably enough to keep him going. 

On 5/25/2018 at 7:45 AM, Brian said:

They always bring stories up like this because they think people want no guns for anyone, anywhere, ever. There may be a small percentage that want that  but it's completely unrealistic and not what most people are asking for.

On 5/24/2018 at 8:24 AM, StrangeSox said:

Imagine having your child slaughtered and then facing years of harassment from insane conspiracy theorists

What's even more sad is they start jumping to the exact same conclusions for every new mass shooting that occurs. There are people that think the Florida and Texas shootings were "faked" as well.

16 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

They always bring stories up like this because they think people want no guns for anyone, anywhere, ever. There may be a small percentage that want that  but it's completely unrealistic and not what most people are asking for.

I am all for no one having a gun, but I realize that is not a realistic dream. All I know is when the NRA has Pence speak, and wants to make sure no one gets shot, they check for guns at the door. They do the same at Trump rallies. Both places, their "good guys" would outnumber their "bad guys" by quite a large margin, however, they don't use the more good guys with guns just keeps the bad guys away theory there. It's for kids in schools. No one has a gun, no one gets shot.