Kevin Maitan and others

bmags

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)
Does anyone actually know if he will be considered a FA or international amateur signing or are we just speculating? If he is a FA we have a chance and I'd imagine a good one.. If it's international bonus money we have no shot.

It seems to be an international amateur signing which I agree with. You just pretend like he never signed with the Braves (except that he keeps the money).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
It seems to be an international amateur signing which I agree with. You just pretend like he never signed with the Braves (except that he keeps the money).

And im guessing the international pool money will be dated now as opposed to when he signed in 2016? aka we had money in 16. don't have any now.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)
Does anyone actually know if he will be considered a FA or international amateur signing or are we just speculating? If he is a FA we have a chance and I'd imagine a good one.. If it's international bonus money we have no shot.

When this happened to Boston a couple of seasons ago, they made the kids international free agents again subject to all cap rules and limits.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 02:31 PM)
What other ATL prospects will be available? Doubt CWS gets involved

Haven't seen a list that shows who is in and/or out, but this is who the Braves signed July 2, 2016. There are also some other very interesting players in this bunch. at least half a dozen area already playing in the US a year later.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2016/7/2/120879...july-2-signings

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 03:37 PM)
Haven't seen a list that shows who is in and/or out, but this is who the Braves signed July 2, 2016. There are also some other very interesting players in this bunch. at least half a dozen area already playing in the US a year later.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2016/7/2/120879...july-2-signings

Definitely hope Hahn gets involved but simply doubt it, doesn't seem like a Sox move

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
Definitely hope Hahn gets involved but simply doubt it, doesn't seem like a Sox move

I have to imagine with the Otani derby, plus the kid that is defecting from Cuba, there aren't going to be enough teams with big money to sign these guys to more than $300k contracts. I had no idea that the Braves had this many kids who could be out on the streets.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 07:01 PM)
Didn’t someone suggest that the kids that have already played in the US would have to be made unrestricted free agents? I’m not sure if there is actually something to do that, but does anyone recall if those Red Sox prospects fell into that bucket or not?

They did. And it makes sense that they would be restricted.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 06:48 PM)

The most astounding part, to me... is this:

Interestingly, the feeling within the new Braves front office (now led by new GM Alex Anthopoulos) is that “Maitan was [not] worth the money or the hype"

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 09:39 PM)
Part of me thinks this is damage control.

“Sure, we lost him, but he was no good anyways. No big deal, no reason to lose faith or not buy season tickets.”

That sort of deal. But then again, who knows. Never seen the guy.

Damage control from a new management team who has nothing to lose by "bending the truth"?