Kevin Maitan and others

bmags

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Nov 23, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
Moncada and his twinkie habit is not someone I'd want Maitan to be getting conditioning tips from

Is it truly a conditioning thing or is it the fact as a 17 year old his body is just maturing?

I have no knowledge of the matter I'm just wondering.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 23, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
I'm pretty sure we can only go to $300k. I think it was Callis who corrected himself and said only $300k, so only $100k against our pool. I was really hoping it was going to be $500k but I'm pretty sure its not.

I also believe this is correct. The 1st 200k doesn't count against the caps, but the penalty phase restrictions do still stand. A team that is in the penalty box can't go over $300k.

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Nov 23, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
Moncada and his twinkie habit is not someone I'd want Maitan to be getting conditioning tips from

I didn't say anything about diet, I specified training. I wouldn't recommend the Twinkies diet personally. Unless your name is Tallahassee.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 23, 2017 -> 02:04 PM)
I didn't say anything about diet, I specified training. I wouldn't recommend the Twinkies diet personally. Unless your name is Tallahassee.

Great reference.

Also, if we got him, we'd be better suited sending him to train with Avi. He's a fellow Venezuelan who could show how important all out hustle is and what going from being in good shape to being in great shape can do.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 23, 2017 -> 01:16 PM)
Is it truly a conditioning thing or is it the fact as a 17 year old his body is just maturing?

I have no knowledge of the matter I'm just wondering.

It’s how it’s maturing. You don’t go from hopefully a shortstop to likely 1b (in some reports) just from conditioning.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 10:07 PM)
However, I do wonder if this might shake loose another Thyagomizer type deal. When Ohtani was the only guy on the market, teams could look at the Yankees and Mariners and think "If we don't get Ohtani we're out the player we gave up for him". Now there's like 3 or 4 other backup plans on the market. Send the White Sox a player from your A-ball team for some of their bonus money, make your run at Ohtani, and if you miss out on him you go out and sign that catcher that was just released.

That makes sense. It could work out really well as more teams might be willing to go big on some ex-Braves, knowing that the competition is more diffused. I wonder how much $ the Sox have left.

Jerry Crasnick‏Verified account @jcrasnick 39m39 minutes ago Rob Manfred shed a little more light on John Coppolella's lifetime ban from baseball in an interview with @GolicAndWingo today. "While the #Braves were completely cooperative in the investigative process, I can't say the same for John,'' Manfred said.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 10:28 AM)
Jerry Crasnick‏Verified account @jcrasnick 39m39 minutes ago Rob Manfred shed a little more light on John Coppolella's lifetime ban from baseball in an interview with @GolicAndWingo today. "While the #Braves were completely cooperative in the investigative process, I can't say the same for John,'' Manfred said.

Wow 🤦🏻‍♂

Jesse SanchezVerified account @JesseSanchezMLB Former Braves prospect Yefri del Rosario has found a new team. The RHP agreed to a $650K deal with the Royals. The pitcher was one of 12 prospects granted free agency after an MLB investigation determined Atlanta circumvented the international signing guidelines. @MLBPipeline

QUOTE (Nardiwashere @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Weren't Angels supposedly still in on Ohtani? I wonder if they removed themselves by signing Maitan.

If they still have money left, they should be ok. Kinda weird the Yankees didn't just try to offer more since they have more to offer and not in on Ohtani. They could also be using their 19-19 allotment.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
If they still have money left, they should be ok. Kinda weird the Yankees didn't just try to offer more since they have more to offer and not in on Ohtani. They could also be using their 19-19 allotment.

I think the Yankees are going in on Julio Pablo Martinez who should command a good signing bonus and teams can't use next year's pool like they can with the Braves guys (unless Martinez waits until next J2 to sign)

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 09:42 AM)
Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN

10s

The Angels have agreed to terms with infielder Kevin Maitan, who was made a free agent after MLB ruled the Braves violated rules in signing him.

Hey!!! Lookee thar!!! Dey getter a prospected! De onle one!!!!!

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
Maitan signing reported to be for $2.2mil, which means thats from next year because I believe they only have like $1.3mil for Ohtani.

I've been reading that Maitan's stock is down considerably, enough for him to likely fall out of the top 100 prospects due to questions about some bad weight gain?

He's far too young to give up on, but he also seems to be viewed as much riskier than before.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)
I've been reading that Maitan's stock is down considerably, enough for him to likely fall out of the top 100 prospects due to questions about some bad weight gain?

He's far too young to give up on, but he also seems to be viewed as much riskier than before.

If we had the money, a guy like that is absolutely worth the gamble. You can't teach ceiling.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)

Yeah, from what I heard before he was a SS with a chance to hit and hit for power and could profile at third if he slowed down too much. Now its a 3B who might have to move to 1B and hasn't hit or had the power they thought he would have so he doesn't profile well at either spot. But considering how bad the Angels farm is, its worth the risk.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
Yeah, from what I heard before he was a SS with a chance to hit and hit for power and could profile at third if he slowed down too much. Now its a 3B who might have to move to 1B and hasn't hit or had the power they thought he would have so he doesn't profile well at either spot. But considering how bad the Angels farm is, its worth the risk.

For the Angels and their crappy system? Absolutely worth the risk.

Maitan could still develop into a great player, but after struggling in rookie ball he is no longer viewed as a player that could fast track to the majors. Small sample size and still very young, but a sub .600 OPS means he has a long way to go developmentally.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
Jesse Sanchez @JesseSanchezMLB

now

Another former Braves prospect has agreed to a deal with a new team. Source: Shortstop Livan Soto has agreed to a $850K deal with the Angels. The Angels have also agreed to a $2.2M deal with Kevin Maitan. @MLBPipeline

That's 3 so far.