Giancarlo Stanton traded to Yankees

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
The amount of money owed to Stanton dwarfs ALL of those.

He is basically owed a full free agent contract at best. He has zero surplus value, if teams are giving up large amounts of talent for him on top of taking on that deal, they are fools.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
He is basically owed a full free agent contract at best. He has zero surplus value, if teams are giving up large amounts of talent for him on top of taking on that deal, they are fools.

Correct. You'd already be paying full price for production, so the additional compensation would just be for rights. Which is difficult to price out, but no way do I see anyone giving up an all star back.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 07:55 AM)
Correct. You'd already be paying full price for production, so the additional compensation would just be for rights. Which is difficult to price out, but no way do I see anyone giving up an all star back.

Avisail? :)

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
I still maintain that if Stanton is moved he gets moved for very little.

I think so too. If the team trading for him takes on all of his salary, you're probably looking at what, a B and 2 C prospects type of package? Guys who would fill in after the prospects you get for moving Yelich and Ozuna.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 11:32 AM)
The opt out is going to kill a lot of his value too. Either he plays well enough and then leaves or he doesn't perform and you're stuck with an albatross. Not a very attractive bet to make.

Exactly, and this is oft-overlooked by the mainstream press. Basically, if you're fortunate, and he ages well enough that he can still provide surplus value into the back half of the deal, then you lose him to free agency. The ONLY situation in where you pay him all that money is if he ISN'T worth it. So even if you're a gambling type, the upside is limited.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)
Exactly, and this is oft-overlooked by the mainstream press. Basically, if you're fortunate, and he ages well enough that he can still provide surplus value into the back half of the deal, then you lose him to free agency. The ONLY situation in where you pay him all that money is if he ISN'T worth it. So even if you're a gambling type, the upside is limited.

Again, just no good reasons to give up a lot for him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 28, 2017 -> 08:10 AM)
When is his opt-out?

After 2020.

If he opts out, you've likely gotten a very nice 2020 season from him, which is right in the beginning of your window.

Agreed that you don't want to move a whole lot of extremely valuable assets, but if he does opt out, he basically just needs to be a 3 war player for the next 3 years. It isn't as though there isn't a scenario where that ends up being valuable. While he has been volatile, over the last 4 years he has averaged about 4.75 fwar, with two of those seasons being over 6 fwar and 3 of them being 3.9 fwar or greater.

If he was to average 4.5 fwar over those three years, while paying $77 million, you are obviously coming out with some surplus value in the range of $35 million or so?

After 2020, he'll still have basically $218 million remaining heading into his age 31 season. If he does decide to opt out of THAT, I'm going to guess that he has produced a LOT of surplus value between 2018-2020.

The risk lies much more so that he doesn't perform well, or he suffers a serious injury, and you get stuck with that entire contract, which is what drives the price down.

I suspect the odds that he can still provide 3 war over his 31-35 year seasons is pretty reasonable. You're likely going to overpay him a lot in 2025-2027, which is why the surplus values have to be substantial at the beginning of the contract. You also have to consider that in the mid-2020's, you'll be making decisions whether to pay some of the core that came up to the big league team between 2019-2021. Jimenez, Kopech, Robert, Hansen, Rutherford, Cease, etc.

Do you want to miss out on opportunities to sign one or more of those guys (plus other FAs) because you are paying Stanton still?

Obviously it is a tough decision, but I'm not sure it is as cut and dry as some might suggest.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 08:33 AM)
I still maintain that if Stanton is moved he gets moved for very little.

Depends on how good Jeter is at finessing the other GMs. Remember, this is Jeter's first rodeo. All it takes is one or two teams to offer a real package for Stanton, and the bidding will start. It will be interesting, and the Boston GM is probably salivating right now. They need some home run power, and they can probably afford Stanton. However, I don't know where they stand on the luxury tax.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 29, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)
The Giants strike me as the team to bid against themselves for JD Martinez and end up paying him like, 6/110.

I think Boston is going to make a major push for JD, they need power badly. I know their OF is currently full but if they get JD they can always trade Bradley or move Martinez to first, it’s not like he’s a good defensive outfielder anyway.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 29, 2017 -> 03:13 PM)
Heyman just literally wrote an article about how the Giants were the front-runners for him.....

Just last week Heyman reported the Cardinals based on the fact that ownership has announced because of the Fox Sports Midwest money coming in they are now prepared to pay to upgrade the talent on the big league club. He also said the Cardinals farm system is well stocked and they have the prospects to send to Miami for him.

Whether you think adding Stanton is a good idea or not, I just can’t agree with the timing. We should not spend big this offseason as it will be a year too early IMO. If you’re going to take on the considerable risk that is Stanton’s contract, you need to make sure you’re timing the addition right to ensure the biggest potential payoff.

I know people are skeptical, but I’d rather see us active in the epic 2018/19 free agent class (even if there is competition) than just jump too early on Stanton. We should have the money to be serious players IMO.

Edited by Chicago White Sox