Giancarlo Stanton traded to Yankees

Jose Abreu

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)
I dunno if it counts, but I feel like Sanchez has a better chance of filling the 3b spot until Berger is ready than Engel does of filling the CF spot. Maybe Leury takes over that spot out in CF, but that's my favorite weak spot right now.

Luis Robert projects to the CF spot, so I like the future there much better than at 3B with Burger. I see Leury as the stopgap to Robert.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 02:59 PM)
Luis Robert projects to the CF spot, so I like the future there much better than at 3B with Burger. I see Leury as the stopgap to Robert.

Ok, I wasn't thinking about him since I'm thinking he's a 2020 arrival or maybe later, hard to judge until we get some real game experience for him this year. Makes sense.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
Stanton makes zero sense for the White Sox. Their OF of the future is pretty shored up. It's 3B that poses the biggest long term concern (enter Manny Machado next offseason).

I don't think the Sox should trade for Stanton, but has any of this shored up OF played a MLB game yet?

QUOTE (Quin @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 01:57 PM)
It'd be borderline insanity to lock up this much money, but...

C - Collins

1B - Abreu

2B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3B - Machado

LF - Stanton

CF - Robert

RF - Jimenez

DH - Garcia

Would be a pretty fun lineup

I think borderline insane would be putting it lightly. No chance we spend that much on two players.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 02:43 PM)
I don't think the Sox should trade for Stanton, but has any of this shored up OF played a MLB game yet?

"Of the future" implies that those players are not on the MLB roster. That said, which group makes you more comfortable moving forward:

A. Garcia

L. Garcia

Cordell

Delmonico

Tilson

Engel

Jimenez

Polo

Fisher

Call

Rutherford

Robert

OR

Sanchez

Burger

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)
I think borderline insane would be putting it lightly. No chance we spend that much on two players.

Also something about the last decade plus tells me that it would also fail spectacularly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)
Craig MishVerified account @CraigMish Source : Giants/Marlins names exchanged in potential Stanton deal : (SF) 2B Joe Panik, Top Prospects SP Tyler Beede & OF Chris Shaw. (Mia) Stanton & 2B Dee Gordon.

White Sox equivalent is about Yolmer Sanchez, Carson Fulmer, and Nicky Delmonico.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 01:59 PM)
"Of the future" implies that those players are not on the MLB roster. That said, which group makes you more comfortable moving forward:

A. Garcia

L. Garcia

Cordell

Delmonico

Tilson

Engel

Jimenez

Polo

Fisher

Call

Rutherford

Robert

OR

Sanchez

Burger

I wouldn't argue that 3B appears to be a bigger concern than OF. I just try not to count the chickens.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

I don't like Stanton going to the Giants. His power numbers would drop playing there 81 games a year, plus the 8-10 at SD. Obviously going to Coors and Chase helps a bit, but still. Stanton is good defensively though (+45 career DRS in the outfield) so he'll be able to man it well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)
The Giants would be taking on somewhere around $335 to $350 million in future obligations on the top end.

And that's why it's not a good idea. It will never be about the prospects, because the Sox won't really be trading anyone within even their top 15.

QUOTE (ypres @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 02:44 PM)
I don't like Stanton going to the Giants. His power numbers would drop playing there 81 games a year, plus the 8-10 at SD. Obviously going to Coors and Chase helps a bit, but still. Stanton is good defensively though (+45 career DRS in the outfield) so he'll be able to man it well.

The guy's power plays anywhere. Miami isn't quite a hitter's park.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 03:59 PM)
For Stanton AND Gordon? That's not a bad price. But Stanton's contract is terrible for the White Sox timeline.

Yeah, that deal makes us better next year, but I'm not sure it does long term. Given the choice I think we're more likely to have ballplayers on our next competitive team from those 3 players than from Stanton.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)
There's an interesting team at #1 here...

ESPN: Finding the best spot for Giancarlo Stanton

My God he does look good in that uniform. Too bad. A move like this will not & should not happen until 19/2020.

The only way I'd deal for him is if we somehow were able to give Yolmer and Fulmer for Stanton and about $80-90MM, which isn't happening.

Edited by Soxnfins

It’s really interesting because in a way getting a guy like Stanton makes some of the prospects more disposable. Plus then you can trade Avi to recoup some prospect value. And of course the 4th overall pick helps.

Obviously youre not giving up any of Moncada, Eloy, Kopech, Giolito or Lopez. But the rest of the top prospects beyond Collins I would entertain at least. Do you really need Rutherford if you get Stanton? Is it worth sending away a guy like Cease that’s electric but looks like a reliever?

Guys like Yolmer also have value to a rebuilding team but less so to us. Or even Delmonico since he’s likely to eventually lose the job.

My biggest concern (beyond the length) is actually the opt-out if you commit to it.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 04:12 PM)
Why would he even opt out though? It seems unlikely to me that he'd get the remainder of his current contract on the open market, even if he keeps playing like this.

Especially with his injury history.

If he believed in himself he could maybe play well to get opt out, shorter, higher AAV deal and try for 2 more contracts.