Giancarlo Stanton traded to Yankees

Jose Abreu

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 07:54 AM)
4 teams with great young cores. It looks like Ginacarlo just wants to win.

Easy to say when he is banking 300M and has a full no trade clause. I think if he was on the open market his options would be a lot more open

At this point, I don't think Stanton gets moved. Miami will get that roster and just keep Stanton on it. He has a NTC and he has the right to veto any deal. However, those big market teams have severe luxury tax concerns. I don't think he ends up in LA, NY, or with the Cubs for that matter. It doesn't make sense. The Marlins would need to take salary back from the Dodgers in order to move him and that doesn't seem like something they are willing to do. I would be all for the White Sox taking on Adrian Gonzalez and Scott Kazmir in order to obtain prospects as well. That type of scenario doesn't make sense for the Dodgers though. I can't see them trading prospects to move big salaries and then trading more prospects to take on Stanton's deal. It's fine that he doesn't want to go to San Francisco or St. Louis. I think he ends up playing on a terrible Miami club moving forward though unless he expands the list.

Have to say I'm enjoying this a bit. Marlins ownership past and present howling wildly over a player that has performed to expectations in the contract that ownership created that included a no-trade clause now crying foul at how unfair the whole thing is.

Unfair is if he was albert belle, totally injured but refusing to retire. Unfair is if his performance was crap.

Unfair is not that he is still a great player getting paid for his performance, but you don't want to pay for it and also want the best deal for trading those services.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 04:11 PM)
That's a win for the Cardinals ownership. Don't have to pay Stanton, but you can show the fanbase that you tried.

Honestly, their fans are kind of over trying. They've been finishing 2nd in a lot of these things lately and people seem to be getting fed up. This one you obviously can't pin on them but ya.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 05:18 PM)
Honestly, their fans are kind of over trying. They've been finishing 2nd in a lot of these things lately and people seem to be getting fed up. This one you obviously can't pin on them but ya.

Sad truth for them is that no major stars really want to play in St. Louis

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 05:36 PM)
Gotta question the wisdom for GM's giving no trade clauses. Don't know if agents are inherently smarter than GM's, or do they just have bigger stones?

It’s the fact that GM’s need to win now; their timeframe in the job is not often aligned with long-term consequences very well.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 09:04 PM)
It’s the fact that GM’s need to win now; their timeframe in the job is not often aligned with long-term consequences very well.

So does that mean that Stanton would not have signed that contract without the No Trade clause, or does it mean that the GM was either stupid or overmatched?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 07:10 PM)
So does that mean that Stanton would not have signed that contract without the No Trade clause, or does it mean that the GM was either stupid or overmatched?

It means the GM didn’t give a s*** about potential future consequences, because his charge was to win now.