White Sox outright 5 to Charlotte

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 02:51 PM)
So on my count of the 40 man including only guys who we control for next year, even if they are on the DL, I have 34 guys. Putnam and Tilson are on it, Soto is not.

That is correct. 33 + Tilson + Putnam - Pelfrey.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
James Fegan

@JRFegan

Replying to @JRFegan

Sox need to protect Eloy Jimenez, Casey Gillaspie, Ryan Cordell from Rule 5 eligibility, case to be made for Jake Peter, Brian Clark, Jordan Guerrero...Micker Adolfo, Tito Polo. This frees up some space

I doubt anyone would take Micker, he's struggling to not strike out 30% of the time in A ball in his age 20 season.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 11:29 PM)
Padres kept 3 guys who barely played above rookie ball in the ML roster this season. They will continue to do that until they are ready to compete.

great point, and that's probably the team that would grab him too.

QUOTE (Quin @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 11:56 PM)
We just had Covey for a year and had Nieto a few years ago.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a team take Micker.

Grabbing a AA pitcher and putting him in bullpen isn't that different. And hiding a catcher, who was also 23, from high A was shocking, but then instead use one of your roster spots for a 20 year old player whose never played above low A and strikes out 30% of the time.

Like I said, if it happens, it happens, but I'd take the chance and feel confident he's back with team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 5, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
Grabbing a AA pitcher and putting him in bullpen isn't that different. And hiding a catcher, who was also 23, from high A was shocking, but then instead use one of your roster spots for a 20 year old player whose never played above low A and strikes out 30% of the time.

Like I said, if it happens, it happens, but I'd take the chance and feel confident he's back with team.

I'm fine with not protecting Micker, as I doubt any mlb club would keep him on the roster an entire season when he has yet to play above A ball.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 09:48 PM)
They'd have to keep him on the mlb roster all year. No one is doing that.

This. They have to think it is worth keeping them on the major league roster for the entire season. With Micker you also have an injury concern to worry about which could stretch that roster committment to multiple seasons.

Realistically, very little of that list needs protecting.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
James Fegan

@JRFegan

Replying to @JRFegan

Sox need to protect Eloy Jimenez, Casey Gillaspie, Ryan Cordell from Rule 5 eligibility, case to be made for Jake Peter, Brian Clark, Jordan Guerrero...Micker Adolfo, Tito Polo. This frees up some space

I am going to guess out of this list the Sox protect Eloy, Gillaspie and Polo. Cordell is already on the 40 man roster so doesn't need adding.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)
I am going to guess out of this list the Sox protect Eloy, Gillaspie and Polo. Cordell is already on the 40 man roster so doesn't need adding.

Guerrero will and should be added. He could be our 5th starter to begin the year.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Oct 5, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
I think you try to protect Eloy, Gillespie, Polo, Adolfo and Guerrero. We have the spaces and losing any of those would really suck. I don't feel confident we would get Guerrero or Adolfo back.

I think they will look to keep at least one slot open, maybe even two for the Rule 5 draft. That also limits the number of players you can protect at 38 or 39. In my opinion I think they would risk losing a Micker to get a better player back in the draft.

Why is no one concerned about protecting Jake Peter? He's the type of guy who'd be taken immediately in the Rule 5 draft, and I'd rather see him get ML PAs and figure out what we have in him than see Saladino back out there again next year. I think Peter could be as good or better than Sanchez and offers the same positional versatility.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Oct 5, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)
Why is no one concerned about protecting Jake Peter? He's the type of guy who'd be taken immediately in the Rule 5 draft, and I'd rather see him get ML PAs and figure out what we have in him than see Saladino back out there again next year. I think Peter could be as good or better than Sanchez and offers the same positional versatility.

No one is picking Jake Peter.

I've just assumed that they will protect him as I think a team would definitely take him as a versatile bench piece.

Edited by soxfan2014

I'd be willing to bet Saladino is cut and Peter is on the MLB roster for us on Opening Day.