Chris Sale

Hawkfan

QUOTE (South Sider @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 05:43 AM)
Helps make the Sox look a little smarter in dealing him, as bittersweet as it is to say. I'd be very disappointed in a performance like that from Sale had our Sox actually made the postseason with him.

It was one game. On the road. Against a good lineup. Sale's been off for six weeks. That's more concerning than one game.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 05:57 AM)
It's a shame we decided to trade Chris Sale and rebuild. Some of us fans hate losing this much and would rather see a fringe playoff team that may get to the wild card game and then get beaten down when Sale starts it

Tough crowd here. The sample size isn't that great on Sale. If he's washed up, fine. Moncada could be a superstar who plays every day. I will be happy cause I want to win.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 5, 2017 -> 10:10 PM)
He's a spaz that over-throws when the adrenaline flows, he misses his spots and gets hit hard, with experience and late season throttling, this may be avoidable. It's hard to tell how much is mental or physical, the total package just comes with this kind of pitcher.

yea you nailed it. said it perfectly really. if he has a flaw, it's that mentally, in tough spots, he over throws. It's obvious to long time observers. We saw it when he was here.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 5, 2017 -> 11:57 PM)
It's a shame we decided to trade Chris Sale and rebuild. Some of us fans hate losing this much and would rather see a fringe playoff team that may get to the wild card game and then get beaten down when Sale starts it

Define "fringe playoff team". Do you mean

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 06:14 AM)
Jim Kaat was interesting l he said his performance wasn't because he is a spaz or doesn't have the balls to pitch in the postseason. He said his arm angle was down a bit due to fatigue and it flattened out his pitches.

Kaat also mentioned his weight of 180 a few times. It will be interesting to see if he comes back a little heavier in ST. Also, Boston will probably cut back on his innings during the season as well. Some of those shots looking like they were served on a tee.

If Sale had gone out yesterday and dominated while striking out 15 Astros, a thread would have been created saying look what the White Sox missed out on. And there would be comments about how Moncada didn't really impress and how Kopech will end up blowing his arm out soon enough.

I tend to think that he was overworked in the regular season, especially with the Red Sox having him go back to being more of a strikeout pitcher. Add to that the evidence that he can get emotional and tends to overthrow when pissed off. If he gets to pitch again this post season we'll get a chance to see if last night was a one off or he's cooked for the year.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 08:25 AM)
If Sale had gone out yesterday and dominated while striking out 15 Astros, a thread would have been created saying look what the White Sox missed out on. And there would be comments about how Moncada didn't really impress and how Kopech will end up blowing his arm out soon enough.

I tend to think that he was overworked in the regular season, especially with the Red Sox having him go back to being more of a strikeout pitcher. Add to that the evidence that he can get emotional and tends to overthrow when pissed off. If he gets to pitch again this post season we'll get a chance to see if last night was a one off or he's cooked for the year.

Yes we have 2 meatballs available on the menu:

The pansy scared one you alluded to...

And the no balls, overworked washout lamewad

Still glad it's the latter, at least til his next start.

I'm so glad we got rid of Sale! This game proves to me that he'd never be the type of pitcher we could count on in the playoffs. He always had antics to where it upset the clubhouse. It was really time for him to go and I think that the team is better without him. We got lucky in that deal ridding ourselves of a headcase like him!

(Ignores the facts that he is one of the MAIN reasons the BoSox are in the playoffs, that he was one of the most consistent pitchers in the games over the past 5 years, that he actually had his velocity yesterday, that he's only let up 6 homeruns to lefties all season, that he will finish Top 3 in Cy Young voting, that he is a competitor through and through. He lives and dies by his performances more than any of us -- that's a great thing when he won for us, but then all of a sudden he loses and that's what his problem is??? Come on now guys... anybody who is posting on a White Sox message board after a 66 win season in October is way too involved in the White Sox highs and lows.. Sale is the type of pitcher we should all love.. someone who takes a GAME way too seriously to the point where its not healthy. Give me 25 Chris Sales on my team....

This thread is so "Sports call in radio" it hurts. Now this is not all rah rah Sale talk ... I think if I was a BoSox fan I'd want to see him turn more into a pitcher than a thrower, I think I'd want to see the BoSox limit his innings for future playoff appearances, and finally I think it's all moot. I could see this from a mile away - Sale gets amped, misses his spots, and gets hit sometimes. Then he gets in his head more and more .. I think if I was Farrell I'd pitch him game 2. Yes the media would blow you up for starting Pomeranz game 1, however Sale is the type of guy who gets too hyped. Giving him the ball game 1 was a mistake. I could be wrong ... but I fully expect if he pitches again in game 4 or 5 that he'll be dominant. 7 innings of 1 run ball and like 10k's. Just my guess though.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
Yes we have 2 meatballs available on the menu:

The pansy scared one you alluded to...

And the no balls, overworked washout lamewad

Still glad it's the latter, at least til his next start.

I don't think he's a scared pansy at all. I think he was overworked, and his emotions (anger) got the better of him. We've seen the emotions with him, on and off the field. Hopefully he'll get a chance to pitch again this year.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)
I don't think he's a scared pansy at all. I think he was overworked, and his emotions (anger) got the better of him. We've seen the emotions with him, on and off the field. Hopefully he'll get a chance to pitch again this year.

I don't understand why people even think this way. "He's scared" "he doesn't have balls", etc. I don't think players are scared of pitching/playing in the playoffs. A young player may have nerves and he may jittery but thats not being scared. Maybe the guy's arm is tired. He is also going against a great offense.

Sale sucks. He's a psycho bad guy bad teammate with no balls who can't win big games. And Hahn should be fired for not getting more for him.

What happens if Sale is unhittable next start?

I do think the Sale as a bad actor thing is old. Yeah he ridiculously cut up some jerseys, but I've never read anything where any teammate ever had a problem with him. Quite the opposite. And if Sale is a bad guy, why would anyone like Kopech? He was suspended 50 games for PEDs and broke his hand fighting a teammate.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 09:48 AM)
Sale sucks. He's a psycho bad guy bad teammate with no balls who can't win big games. And Hahn should be fired for not getting more for him.

What happens if Sale is unhittable next start?

I do think the Sale as a bad actor thing is old. Yeah he ridiculously cut up some jerseys, but I've never read anything where any teammate ever had a problem with him. Quite the opposite. And if Sale is a bad guy, why would anyone like Kopech? He was suspended 50 games for PEDs and broke his hand fighting a teammate.

I don't think it really matters if a teammate had a problem with him, he was annoying to fans for good reason. Like him breaking his foot "jumping off a truck".

When Kopech actually is, you know, at the show and he misses games for doing that, I'm sure people will be annoyed then too.

I think this thread is dumb, but so is the "you can't hate sale unless you also hated everyone ever that also did things!"

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 10:09 AM)
I love me some Chris Sale. His antics may have been a bit annoying, but he loved playing on the south side and seemed like a very loyal teammate. I will never root against him to justify the trade we made.

Me neither but due to the team he is on, it's similar to Q for me where I want him to do well personally but want a first round exit from the Red Sox.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 10:04 AM)
I don't think it really matters if a teammate had a problem with him, he was annoying to fans for good reason. Like him breaking his foot "jumping off a truck".

When Kopech actually is, you know, at the show and he misses games for doing that, I'm sure people will be annoyed then too.

I think this thread is dumb, but so is the "you can't hate sale unless you also hated everyone ever that also did things!"

He's a great pitcher who had a bad game. Anything other than that is a pure meatball.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)

Oh sorry i typed that weird. I meant the fan. The hindsight negative told you so pansy fan. That's the worst. I prefer this flavor of meatball because at least it's funny.