Chris Sale

Hawkfan

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 05:21 PM)
We're all waiting for you to tell us what is evident to you yet the rest of baseball has long discarded. What does it tell you about a pitcher that isn't better explained by advanced value statistics?

You're really trying to save pitching wins when it is clear no one uses them any longer. You aren't even justifying W-L existence anymore. They have no justification.

It's pretty ridiculous that someone as intelligent as you who has watched Quintana's entire career would put any credence into pitching wins and losses. I genuinely think you're a smart guy, but you're better than this.

I think they still do. Look at Sales wins on not so good Sox teams. Still won 17 last year. Sometimes a team plays better depending who is on the mound. I thought Q would be lights out in the NL, stats haven't supported that yet. You still have to include wins.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 04:31 PM)
It tells you something, and you don't have to be that smart to understand what and how it can be used.

Sale left a lot to be desired. I've never seen a guy get a standing ovation with such an uninspiring performance. We won that trade.

Edited by JPR

QUOTE (Scoots @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 04:05 PM)
Q just got pulled out of the game after Kyle Schwarber played soccer in left field. The announcer said "Quintana deserved better." How many times have we heard that? Story of his life. Man.

Q should not have been pulled. At least that's what I thought when they did it.

But on the subject of pitching Wins being important, one of the best pitching stats in my adult life was way back in 1971 when Steve Carlton won 27 for the woeful, last place Phillies. 27 Wins. That is still the stat everyone points to for Carlton's career year.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (JPR @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 02:36 AM)
Sale left a lot to be desired. I've never seen a guy get a standing ovation with such an uninspiring performance. We won that trade.

If Sale was not on Red Sox, I doubt they win the AL East. Boston finished in last place in 2016 so Sale as their ace was a major factor. But winning a trade will take years to determine. I would say the Red Sox got their ace and the White Sox got what they wanted, top prospects.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 07:04 AM)
If Sale was not on Red Sox, I doubt they win the AL East. Boston finished in last place in 2016 so Sale as their ace was a major factor. But winning a trade will take years to determine. I would say the Red Sox got their ace and the White Sox got what they wanted, top prospects.

Boston won the AL east last year. They got swept by the Indians.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 08:55 AM)
Boston won the AL east last year. They got swept by the Indians.

And if it weren't for Chris Sale...they would at least have been down 1 top of the rotation starting lefty compared to last year, not to mention Porcello having a worse year.

QUOTE (Tony @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
We have the same conversation every offseason :lol:

Wins, like anything other stat, shouldn’t be used on its own. There are more important singular stats out there for sure, but when we have as much information available to us as we do in 2017, using one stat to judge a player is irresponsible.

I have been fighting this battle for years on this board. Other posters are finally starting to agree a little. :headbang