The Sexual Assault problem

Brian

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 03:57 PM)
I guess that makes up for not reporting 13 years ago when they knew about other allegations. This will all blow over in 2 weeks, he will get "help" and avoid any punishment. So much faux outrage going on right now, it's sad.

Wait, so people shouldn't be outraged?

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to get all political, but I guess this means we can stop with the "Republicans don't care about women" crap. Clearly the left elitists in Hollywood allowing this s*** to go on for so long don't care either.

And LOL at Seth McFarlane's joke from 4 years ago:

listen to the nervous laughter!! like "ha ha, it's true!"

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 04:21 PM)
No, we can still talk about how the GOP doesnt care about women, but it turns out high powered men, regardless of political leaning, continue to abuse women with no repercussions.

And people of all genders and political persuasions will be ok with covering that up if it helps their careers and didn't happen to someone important enough to them.

No, we can still talk about how the GOP doesnt care about women, but it turns out high powered men, regardless of political leaning, continue to abuse women with no repercussions.

No no, lets make political points instead of focusing on criminal behavior.

We should never come together as a society to condemn this.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 05:21 PM)

and men, and worst of all, children

Terry Crews is now saying someone groped him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/t...ticle-1.3554191

And plenty of women in power new of this stuff and did nothing to prevent it. Don't peg this on men alone. As I said before, where the hell is the board at his company after all the settlements keep getting paid? So far I've read of one senior executive that confronted Weinstein about this (male). Even the women execs did nothing.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)
No no, lets make political points instead of focusing on criminal behavior.

We should never come together as a society to condemn this.

Oh please. Pointing that out doesn't mean I don't condemn this sick f*** and what he did.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)
And plenty of women in power new of this stuff and did nothing to prevent it. Don't peg this on men alone. As I said before, where the hell is the board at his company after all the settlements keep getting paid? So far I've read of one senior executive that confronted Weinstein about this (male). Even the women execs did nothing.

Who cares if it is men or women? The guy appears to be a criminal, plenty of people have their reasons for not reporting criminal activity. Im going to guess that Weinstein knew a lot of secrets that could sink a lot of people. Maybe those executives werent rapists, but its Hollywood, you have to imagine there is a lot of illegal drugs, etc.

Again we are taking focus away from a criminal and trying to blame other people.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)
Oh please. Pointing that out doesn't mean I don't condemn this sick f*** and what he did.

Then what was the point of your post? Its entirely speculative and we have no way of knowing who knew what. If credible evidence comes out that X person helped hide something, than that person should go down (terrible pun and not intentional) as well. I dont care if they are a Republican or Democrat.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 04:46 PM)
Who cares if it is men or women? The guy appears to be a criminal, plenty of people have their reasons for not reporting criminal activity. Im going to guess that Weinstein knew a lot of secrets that could sink a lot of people. Maybe those executives werent rapists, but its Hollywood, you have to imagine there is a lot of illegal drugs, etc.

Again we are taking focus away from a criminal and trying to blame other people.

WTF are you talking about? Other people should be blamed!!! They knew what this monster was doing for DECADES and did nothing to stop him.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 04:50 PM)
WTF are you talking about? Other people should be blamed!!! They knew what this monster was doing for DECADES and did nothing to stop him.

As I said before, as soon as their credible evidence as to who knew/hid what then well have something, and those people should be held accountable.

As of now you are speculating, we have no idea who knew what. Weinstein was a millionaire, Im sure his attorneys did a good job of hiding what was going on. You really think that they put "SETTLING RAPE CASE" in bold red letters at the top of communications?

My guess is that there were a bunch of NDA's etc (which many of the actresses have confirmed) with his company and the board as well. Im sure it was spun as "There is no credibility to this case but its cheaper to settle than to take the press hit." And therein lies the problem.

Until the whole "blame the victim" culture goes away, its very hard for victims to defend themselves. The risk is extremely high and often not at all worth the reward.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)
Then what was the point of your post? Its entirely speculative and we have no way of knowing who knew what. If credible evidence comes out that X person helped hide something, than that person should go down (terrible pun and not intentional) as well. I dont care if they are a Republican or Democrat.

We know he (and probably his company) paid out at least 8 settlements over the years. There's at least one intern that was a victim and she reported his harassment to a female exec and nothing happened. It's pretty obvious with the joke Seth MacFarlane made and some of the statements by A-listers that his actions were common knowledge. But you know what? He made money, so people worked with him. People agreed to do his movies. Politicians took his money. Other people should be ashamed for the culture that existed around him where he felt insulated enough to do the things he did.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 04:58 PM)
As I said before, as soon as their credible evidence as to who knew/hid what then well have something, and those people should be held accountable.

As of now you are speculating, we have no idea who knew what. Weinstein was a millionaire, Im sure his attorneys did a good job of hiding what was going on. You really think that they put "SETTLING RAPE CASE" in bold red letters at the top of communications?

My guess is that there were a bunch of NDA's etc (which many of the actresses have confirmed) with his company and the board as well. Im sure it was spun as "There is no credibility to this case but its cheaper to settle than to take the press hit." And therein lies the problem.

Until the whole "blame the victim" culture goes away, its very hard for victims to defend themselves. The risk is extremely high and often not at all worth the reward.

Did you read the New Yorker piece?

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)

The stigma of women reporting this is put in place because of the men in power. This is prevalent across all industries, and its f***ing sick. It's even worse we put one of those men in the office of President.

And there seemed to be a very common tactic he used - get one of his producers/assistants to set up meeting with Target X, have the producer/assistant in the room to start the meeting and make the girl feel comfortable and then leave when it was time to for Weinstein to attack. They helped him do this.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 05:01 PM)
Did you read the New Yorker piece?

Yep I read the whole piece. As well as the Matt Damon interview where he contradicts the author.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/matt-damon-har...iew-1202185574/

Do I know who is telling the truth? No

Do I believe in the next few days/weeks an avalanche of information is likely to leak out? Yes

These stories in Hollywood have floated around forever. There is a lot of stuff about Corey Haim and Corey Feldman:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/core...ollywood-897403

The most disturbing part is that even though this allegations against Hollywood have existed for years, no one really does anything. There is a lot more to this story than one guy, its an entire culture of abuse/crime.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 05:05 PM)
And there seemed to be a very common tactic he used - get one of his producers/assistants to set up meeting with Target X, have the producer/assistant in the room to start the meeting and make the girl feel comfortable and then leave when it was time to for Weinstein to attack. They helped him do this.

Like most of these cases, there are enablers who are too afraid of losing their jobs or of being blackballed within a certain industry. Thats pretty common and its a huge problem.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 04:12 PM)
Wait, so people shouldn't be outraged?

They should be. But there are a lot of people showing outrage in the past few days, who knew about it for 5, 10, even 20 years and said nothing about it. Now it comes out because they have to answer to the public in this modern age of media.

A lot of Hollywood is really no different than Penn State in this situation.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 05:12 PM)
They should be. But there are a lot of people showing outrage in the past few days, who knew about it for 5, 10, even 20 years and said nothing about it. Now it comes out because they have to answer to the public in this modern age of media.

And hopefully those people are found out and pay the appropriate price. Whether they are in Hollywood or elsewhere, it doesnt matter.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 05:12 PM)

It's fairly industry agnostic, but the media industry for sure has a big share, just look at the Fox News or Bill Cosby revelations. It takes so much to break into that industry that people are afraid of it being taken away. You'll see it in high level corporate culture as well. Sometimes you blame the women for "sleeping their way to the top" but in reality they are being completely abused.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 05:18 PM)
It's fairly industry agnostic, but the media industry for sure has a big share, just look at the Fox News or Bill Cosby revelations. It takes so much to break into that industry that people are afraid of it being taken away. You'll see it in high level corporate culture as well. Sometimes you blame the women for "sleeping their way to the top" but in reality they are being completely abused.

My uneducated guess is as follows:

Corey Feldman was right (I hate saying that because the guy is so unpredictable) and that there was some sort of network of high powered executives protecting each other. The "casting couch" ideology goes way back in Hollywood and the cycle probably has never really been broken. I mean if people like Paltrow were being put in these situations ( http://www.tmz.com/2017/10/10/gwyneth-palt...on-allegations/ ), who came from a famous family, imagine what actresses/actors who came from nothing put up with?

When you read the Paltrow article you see that even she had "fear" that her career would be over if she reported it. Its such an impossible position for them, if they tell they may lose their career and nothing may happen to the perpatrator. If they do nothing, they may be set for life.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)
and men, and worst of all, children

Terry Crews is now saying someone groped him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/t...ticle-1.3554191

s***, I would have paid to see Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho whoop that executives ass. Seriously though,that's f***ed up man.

Glad more and more people are coming out and telling their horror stories. I hope Terry names the bastard and I'd bet Terry isn't the first.

Read about Paltrow's incident years ago where Brad Pitt put Weinstein in his place and threatened him with a 'Missouri Whoopin''.