The Sexual Assault problem

Brian

30 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

I think it's a couple of things.  First, people who spoke out about being harassed by CK have been harassed for speaking out (http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/louis-c-k-put-me-in-a-lose-lose-situation.html).  It's an odd world when the harasser is getting to make a "comeback" while the whistleblowers continue to suffer for speaking out.

Second, while CK has admitted to harassing women, he hasn't really apologized for it.  The guy used his power over the years to sexually harass women.  If that means that he loses his platform for awhile, then it stands to reason that he needs to do something to really get that platform back.

It's honestly a tough issue for me regarding how you deal with the careers of people like CK.  He shouldn't get a lifetime ban from comedy, obviously.  But CK getting his platform back needs to be more nuanced than "I stayed out of the limelight and lost some deals over the last 9 months, and now I'm back."

Comedy seems like one arena where you can literally let people decide whether he's accepted back or not. If people show up and pay to see him, well, that's on them. If not, that's the cost of what he did. 

I don't really buy that he has to do anything to earn it back. That all becomes fake anyway. Throw out a form apology letter, go to a "rehab" facility for a few weeks, make a few donations. Does that really change anything? Does he need to break down how/why he finally learned that masturbating in front of people is not OK? Those women will still get harassed. He'll still be the creepy dude in the comedian group. 

Edited by Jenksismyhero

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Les Moonves will be out at CBS.

He will pocket somewhere between $0 and $170 million depending on whether they have an agreement or whether they wind up trying to fire him with cause.

I won't ever be paid as much in my lifetime as he might be paid for forcing women to perform oral sex on him.

He’ll lose half of whatever he wins when Julia Chen divorces him...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I read that yesterday. It really sticks with you.

It really scares me to think about if those rumors were happening in my school, would I get caught in the retaliatory acts ("faith") against her? And I think Bruenig does capture that feeling which I think is especially toxic in high school, being so scared of being weak or victimized that you by default villainize the vulnerable.

Really rough read. 

People often wonder why victims don't say anything or when they do it's years later.  What happens in that article is why.  I couldn't imagine the pain that person went through and then to be attacked the way she was is beyond horrific.

I don't remember last time I read something that made me that angry. 

29 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Wow.  I have been totally ignorant of what that site actually was.  The only person I have ever really paid attention to here was Barstool Dave.  I had no idea what the reste of the group was like.