Off Season Buy Low Candidates

TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 06:07 PM)
I don’t think we need to fill up Charlotte’s roster

Sure we do. Plus, Ravelo is a better hitter than many on the Sox roster. Had he not been included in that Shark trade with the A's, he would have made the Sox roster eventually. He certainly fits the description of "buy low".

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 14, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
Sure we do. Plus, Ravelo is a better hitter than many on the Sox roster. Had he not been included in that Shark trade with the A's, he would have made the Sox roster eventually. He certainly fits the description of "buy low".

He is AAAA, Dude couldn’t crack the As or Cardinals in the last two years. You sure fall in love with prospects when they are traded away

Besides, you think he is taking first from Abreu? Highly doubtful

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 11:14 PM)
It seems to me we've acquired all the prospects we need.I may disagree with the rebuild but what's done is done. We have a projected team to win it all at some point. Trading is DONE.

3B - Burger/Davidson. SS-TA. 2B-Moncada. 1B-Abreu I hope or maybe Gillaspie or somebody.

RF-Rutherford. CF-Robert. LF-Eloy

C-Collins. Pitchers: We know the names.

Get em ready and acquire some vets when it's time to win as well and get some arms for the pen and one veteran stud starter.

Is my position that odd?

There so many holes in this post I don't know where to begin. Lol, forget I said anything. :huh:

NASCAR! Vrooom!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 14, 2017 -> 12:14 AM)
It seems to me we've acquired all the prospects we need.I may disagree with the rebuild but what's done is done. We have a projected team to win it all at some point. Trading is DONE.

3B - Burger/Davidson. SS-TA. 2B-Moncada. 1B-Abreu I hope or maybe Gillaspie or somebody.

Get em ready and acquire some vets when it's time to win as well and get some arms for the pen and one veteran stud starter.

Is my position that odd?

Actually Greg, it is not odd. I think Kenny Williams had a similar theory once the Sox won a World Series. Have a solid ML roster and the minor league is an afterthought. Then there is the Theo theory that you are always stock-piling prospects for roster or trade upgrades. Both ways can work but I feel Hahn is trying to emulate Theo. The % of young players who make a major impact is a factor.Of the group you list, some %( 25-50%) won't stick. Unless the White Sox have improved their minor instructional group, that is more of a concern in a system that has struggled to develop positional players.

If they trade Avi, Jorge Soler. They really loved him when the Cubs signed him. His walk rate keeps going higher. He hits the ball in the air. He may be taking too many pitches, so pitch recognition, even though he doesn't swing at many out of the zone may be a problem. He is signed for 3 more years at about $13 million total so KC might be motivated, and .144 hitters who are a liability in the field don't cost much player wise. Probably a future DH.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 14, 2017 -> 12:53 PM)
Do you at least agree with me that the trading has to stop at some point? When do you want to finally win?

Trade anybody with value. Abreu, anderson, avi, leury, yolmer. Ship them all out. Stockpile all the prospects you can.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 14, 2017 -> 07:29 PM)
Trade anybody with value. Abreu, anderson, avi, leury, yolmer. Ship them all out. Stockpile all the prospects you can.

Some of you guys are nuts. Classic backup quarterback syndrome. Good luck ever winning in your scenario. So ideally ron wants a payroll of about 5 million dollars and all prospects. Literally all prospects. He doesn't even want TA on the team cause TA has been here a while and I guess in his mind is no longer a prospect but a proven player. Avi is still young enough to be considered a guy with 5 great years left, but he's got to go. With this strategy even if we acquired the best prospects ever we'd win about 50 games a year because there's no way we'd have enough success stories to make more than half of our roster playoff caliber. People call me a troll and insane. At least my way of building a team has been proven and actually gave the White Sox one WS title. And as much as people say the Cubs are the classic rebuild story they also added some expensive pieces to contribute to their success.

Geez Ron.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 08:11 PM)
I'll start it off with my suggestion...Maikel Franco from the Phillies. They need pitching and have some infield depth. Wouldn't mind throwing a couple of our pitching prospects at the Phillies if they want to unload Franco. Wouldn't include any of Gio, Lopez, Kopech, Cease, or Hanson though.

Who are some young names you'd like to see us acquire for relatively cheap this off season?

Greg. You are trolling and very badly I might add. Not only that but you are clearly showing you know nothing about the Sox prospects. But hey, keep ignoring the bolded to suit your victimized narrative so you can continue b****ing about nothing at all.

Oh, just a guess but Ron trolled you pretty good and you fell for it. :lolhitting

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 14, 2017 -> 07:56 PM)
Greg. You are trolling and very badly I might add. Not only that but you are clearly showing you know nothing about the Sox prospects. But hey, keep ignoring the bolded to suit your victimized narrative so you can continue b****ing about nothing at all.

Oh, just a guess but Ron trolled you pretty good and you fell for it. :lolhitting

I thought Ron meant it so I responded in turn with my take.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 11:14 PM)

Is my position that odd?

This really isn't how this works. All of these guys won't pan out. Ideally, your future outfield is Robert, Jimenez, and Rutherford with Collins, Sheets, Moncada, Anderson, and Burger on the infield. It won't work out that way though. The team is going to be below average again next year. It's a very important time though. I truly think that they have 2019 as their target year to "maybe" contend. They will be spending $$ on the 2018 free agent class. This next year will be about letting guys learn and grow and figuring out which young prospects will be on next good Sox team, which ones are bad, and which ones are potentially "blocked" or not in the plans and those guys can get traded for something that the Sox do need. I would expect the Sox to add multiple free agent relievers to flip at the deadline and also probably 2 starting pitchers. Rodon is a question mark. Shields will be in the rotation. Lopez, Giolito and Fulmer all could be as well with Kopech and Hansen coming at some point next season. They need to protect their young pitching though. Your position isn't odd. I disagree with it though and the Sox likely do too. They have decisions to make on Abreu and Avisail this offseason. A guy like Leury Garcia is about to get "expensive" too and they need to make a decision there as well. If I had to guess, the Sox trade Nate Jones, Avisail Garcia and Leury Garcia at some point in the next 12 months.

Since when is .314/.383/.480 a good year for a AAA 1B in the PCL? That has to translate to something like .270/.330/.420, which is a replacement level player. Beyond that, he only played 89 games, so either they were platooning him or he was hurt, which is also something he did frequently.

Sorry to bring up Ravelo again out of the blue, but that was a mind-boggling name drop.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 14, 2017 -> 08:22 PM)
This really isn't how this works. All of these guys won't pan out. Ideally, your future outfield is Robert, Jimenez, and Rutherford with Collins, Sheets, Moncada, Anderson, and Burger on the infield. It won't work out that way though. The team is going to be below average again next year. It's a very important time though. I truly think that they have 2019 as their target year to "maybe" contend. They will be spending $$ on the 2018 free agent class. This next year will be about letting guys learn and grow and figuring out which young prospects will be on next good Sox team, which ones are bad, and which ones are potentially "blocked" or not in the plans and those guys can get traded for something that the Sox do need. I would expect the Sox to add multiple free agent relievers to flip at the deadline and also probably 2 starting pitchers. Rodon is a question mark. Shields will be in the rotation. Lopez, Giolito and Fulmer all could be as well with Kopech and Hansen coming at some point next season. They need to protect their young pitching though. Your position isn't odd. I disagree with it though and the Sox likely do too. They have decisions to make on Abreu and Avisail this offseason. A guy like Leury Garcia is about to get "expensive" too and they need to make a decision there as well. If I had to guess, the Sox trade Nate Jones, Avisail Garcia and Leury Garcia at some point in the next 12 months.

Good post. Frankly I could see it go either way this offseason regarding trading Avi and Abreu. I personally would keep them for the rebuilt WS contenders but I definitely could see Hahn trading them for more prospects. I think the rebuild has been so popular they could be trade-happy so to speak.

I will say this and this is something everybody on this board should consider. I had a big Royals fan/baseball sabes guy tell me the other day he thought the White Sox played "hard" and spirited (intangibles I know) the last six weeks and really seemed like they had great life. I'm telling you, Avi and Abreu play the game the right way and they would be PERFECT veterans for our WS contenders coming up. You need veterans and I know some of you will want the veterans to be from other teams cause the grass is always greener elsewhere. But Avi and Abreu provide intangibles, folks.

QUOTE (Tony @ Oct 14, 2017 -> 08:11 PM)
Not many people are going to disagree with this greg, and if you actually read what people say and give it some thought instead of doing your typical "Oh gosh gee golly I can't believe the Sox would trade Jose freakin' Abreu" shtick, you'd at least understand that argument for a possible trade of Abreu and/or Garcia.

Aside from ron and his own shtick, no one has undersold what Abreu and Avi accomplished in 2017.

Did you read my post? I offered a story to back up my point and I said I understood why they might trade the two this winter. I also said I disagree with it because of their intangibles and tangibles. I consider that a good message board post. I feel honored so many of you rate all my posts. Hardly anybody else gets each post rated. Many on here don't respond at all to what I'm saying and they blast me for not responding to all points on other posts. Again I am honored so many of you comment on my posts but not what's in my posts. Just either say I'm a troll or live in my own little world. Very wild greg brings this out. Can't people just comment on what's IN my posts? I feel a lot of my points are worth discussion not just tossing aside saying "troll" or frankly worse.

Are Abreu and Avi's intangibles worth anything or not?? I say yes and they'd be valuable on our next contender.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 14, 2017 -> 04:26 PM)
Did you read my post? I offered a story to back up my point and I said I understood why they might trade the two this winter. I also said I disagree with it because of their intangibles and tangibles. I consider that a good message board post. I feel honored so many of you rate all my posts. Hardly anybody else gets each post rated. Many on here don't respond at all to what I'm saying and they blast me for not responding to all points on other posts. Again I am honored so many of you comment on my posts but not what's in my posts. Just either say I'm a troll or live in my own little world. Very wild greg brings this out. Can't people just comment on what's IN my posts? I feel a lot of my points are worth discussion not just tossing aside saying "troll" or frankly worse.

Are Abreu and Avi's intangibles worth anything or not?? I say yes and they'd be valuable on our next contender.

What intangibles does Avi bring? I don't value intangibles very much. I agree abreu is a great clubhouse leader. But I think you sell high on him and avi if you get the right offer.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 14, 2017 -> 06:37 PM)
What intangibles does Avi bring? I don't value intangibles very much. I agree abreu is a great clubhouse leader. But I think you sell high on him and avi if you get the right offer.

I think you trade anyone in all of baseball for the right offer, but the right offer rarely comes forward.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 15, 2017 -> 12:37 AM)

I'll back off on my opinion if we're told by somebody in the know that Avi is hated in the clubhouse and/or a jerk as I have no idea about his role in the clubhouse. As a fan I was thinking Avi busts his ass "trying" to get to balls and has improved his hitting a lot and apears to play with the zest that the Royals fan I was talking about was mentioning. In my opinion, Avi is a joyful player and busts his ass and that is a good trait for a team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 14, 2017 -> 11:22 PM)
I'll back off on my opinion if we're told by somebody in the know that Avi is hated in the clubhouse and/or a jerk as I have no idea about his role in the clubhouse. As a fan I was thinking Avi busts his ass "trying" to get to balls and has improved his hitting a lot and apears to play with the zest that the Royals fan I was talking about was mentioning. In my opinion, Avi is a joyful player and busts his ass and that is a good trait for a team.

For sure man. I think the issue is more insurance for the prospects. I say keep them around at least the next two years. Hard to imagine a prospect pushing Avi out if he keeps it up. But if that situation does arise, welcome to the juggernaut baby.

To get this thread back on track...Another team I would look at is the cardinals and their OF situation. They have Dexter Fowler, Stephen Piscotty, Randall Grichuck, Tommy Pham, Jose Martinez, Harrison Bader, and Tyler O'Neil as OF options next year. Not sure what we would have to offer them but wouldn't mind taking a shot on a guy like Piscotty at all if he's available. Pham and Grichuck are also fairly interesting.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
I love the idea of a guy like Franco. I just don't see how the Phillies could discount him that much. It would have to take a Dunning sort of talent at least.

Yeah I don't disagree with that. Something like Dunning and Stephens would probably be about as much as I'd give up.

And I live in the Philly area so I listen to all the sports talk radio and watch some games. Franco isn't exactly the most popular in the city. Not that that means the phillies front office is listening and would trade him for cheap, but I would imagine they would at least listen. They like Galvis at SS for some reason, they were playing JP Crawford at 3B when he was brought up in September and platooning Franco between 1B and 3B. Ceasar Hernandez is a good player and they also have a 2B prospect with good pop named Kingery in AAA who is ready for a callup. They will have to make a decision on 1 of Franco/Galvis sooner or later basically.

What in Franco's stat line this past season at 25 makes you think he's any better a hitter than Davidson? You'll give up a first and fifth rounder for a guy who hit .230, .281, .690? The grass is always greener. I'm thinking some just want to get rid of Davidson ASAP.