Off Season Buy Low Candidates

TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)
I'd feel it was somewhat possible if we still had Kahnle on team to trade, but to acquire Joc with what we have means dipping into the prospect bin.

Do not forget we could have a potential return coming from a Garcia deal also that could make this more palatable.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 04:08 PM)
Has Holland announced his retirement yet? Has Shields? Has Pelphrey? They need to go away.

Ha well somebody has to physically throw the baseball. You could argue rushing guys like Guerrero & Stephens to start the season since the big dogs like Kopech & Hansen will get more time in the minors...and maybe just Hansen.

Giolito

Lopez

Shields

That's it right now for start of the season right?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 05:35 PM)
Ha well somebody has to physically throw the baseball. You could argue rushing guys like Guerrero & Stephens to start the season since the big dogs like Kopech & Hansen will get more time in the minors...and maybe just Hansen.

Giolito

Lopez

Shields

Apparently a certain someone didn't get the memo on Pelfrey being a free agent after the WS and that Holland was released in early September. Or that Shields has one more year left on his contract. ;)

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 06:35 PM)

Giolito

Lopez

Shields

Almost have to let Fulmer try to build on his success from the end of the season don’t you? That’s what I would do at least...feel like giving him a rotation spot could give him some confidence and hopefully keep him in whatever groove he was in for his last 25 innings or so last year.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 06:48 PM)
Almost have to let Fulmer try to build on his success from the end of the season don’t you? That’s what I would do at least...feel like giving him a rotation spot could give him some confidence and hopefully keep him in whatever groove he was in for his last 25 innings or so last year.

Yes, I fully expect Fulmer to open the season in the rotation regardless of how he does in ST. He's going to be put in "Sink or swim" mode.

I still think, especially with likely no Rodon, there will be a rule-5 pick of a starting pitcher also.

Not a "buy-low" candidate but Adrian Gonzalez really has no room on the Dodgers roster. He would be the perfect guy to trade for (along with a good prospect or two) if he was with another team but since the Dodgers don't really seem to care about money, it's likely they'd be more willing to release him. He's set to make $22.4 million next season, the last year of his contract.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 07:05 AM)
Not a "buy-low" candidate but Adrian Gonzalez really has no room on the Dodgers roster. He would be the perfect guy to trade for (along with a good prospect or two) if he was with another team but since the Dodgers don't really seem to care about money, it's likely they'd be more willing to release him. He's set to make $22.4 million next season, the last year of his contract.

Ew.. Why

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 08:12 AM)
Ew.. Why

Because of this:

He would be the perfect guy to trade for (along with a good prospect or two).....

The idea of taking on bad money along with prospects from teams so they can get under the luxury tax line. The prospect(s) makes the team trading for the bad contract worthwhile. It's been an idea kicked around here lately.

Edited by soxfan2014

Not sure where he would play here either. We already have a couple of DH's in the starting line up, with a couple of more potentially on the way in our top two draft picks last season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 09:58 AM)
Not sure where he would play here either. We already have a couple of DH's in the starting line up, with a couple of more potentially on the way in our top two draft picks last season.

You're expecting Burger to be up this year?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 09:58 AM)

Don't play him. Cut him after getting him or cut him early if he sucks. The whole point of that idea is getting the prospects. He only has one more year left on the deal. It's a better idea than taking on Ellsbury's 3 remaining years.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)
Don't play him. Cut him after getting him or cut him early if he sucks. The whole point of that idea is getting the prospects. He only has one more year left on the deal. It's a better idea than taking on Ellsbury's 3 remaining years.

Jesus christ that's a lot of money. $63 million guaranteed with a $5 million buyout to bring it up to $68.4 million total.

I will happily take on that deal if they include Torres.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
Jesus christ that's a lot of money. $63 million guaranteed with a $5 million buyout to bring it up to $68.4 million total.

I will happily take on that deal if they include Torres.

Yanks are hell bent on keeping Torres though, can't blame them. What about something like Jacoby Ellsbury + Miguel Andujar + $ for James Shields?

Has anyone talked about Michael Brantley?

While I know we'd like to have LF for our multiple hitters that have no positions, it could be an interesting candidate if the contract price is right.

Now, if his range suddenly got better from all his injuries, we could even try to say he's a CFer!

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 11:59 AM)

While I know we'd like to have LF for our multiple hitters that have no positions, it could be an interesting candidate if the contract price is right.

Now, if his range suddenly got better from all his injuries, we could even try to say he's a CFer!

I like the idea of Michael Brantley. I also initially read this as Milton Bradley and almost s*** myself.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)
I like the idea of Michael Brantley. I also initially read this as Milton Bradley and almost s*** myself.

Didn't soxtalk have a milton bradley phase at some point? Like Oakland As era?

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 11:59 AM)

Yeah, there is no way the Indians pick up that option. He is definitely intriguing. Just not sure he can be counted on to stay healthy. But maybe someone needs to keep Tilson company on the dl? :huh

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
Yeah, there is no way the Indians pick up that option. He is definitely intriguing. Just not sure he can be counted on to stay healthy. But maybe someone needs to keep Tilson company on the dl? :huh

You know who else couldn't stay healthy and joined White Sox for their age 31 season?

Jermaine Dye.

:ph34r:

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 11:48 AM)
Yanks are hell bent on keeping Torres though, can't blame them. What about something like Jacoby Ellsbury + Miguel Andujar + $ for James Shields?

Unfortunately this in my eyes makes no sense for the Yankees. The Yankees will save the most money if they can get under the luxury tax in 2018 - they're close, but have to avoid doing too much offseason damage. After 2018 we all know their payroll is going to explode and push them back into tax territory. If they swapped Ellsbury for Shields, they save $1.3 million against the luxury tax level in 2018. They save money on the tax in 2019 by having Ellsbury gone, but the multi-year penalty is going to be worth more than that to them if they can avoid it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
Unfortunately this in my eyes makes no sense for the Yankees. The Yankees will save the most money if they can get under the luxury tax in 2018 - they're close, but have to avoid doing too much offseason damage. After 2018 we all know their payroll is going to explode and push them back into tax territory. If they swapped Ellsbury for Shields, they save $1.3 million against the luxury tax level in 2018. They save money on the tax in 2019 by having Ellsbury gone, but the multi-year penalty is going to be worth more than that to them if they can avoid it.

After thinking more about it, I think it makes less sense for the Sox to be strapped with Ellsbury's contract. The Yanks benefit more by only paying Shields' 10M salary with the SD still on the hook for the balance. If the Yanks didn't send money with Ellsbury, they would shed 11.8M off their 2018 payroll so that would make sense for them but screw the Sox. Eh, forget it, bad idea.lol