Realignment/Expansion

KrankinSox

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)
Yeah, it seems ST was invented back when players didn't stay in shape all year, and so they needed time to actually get there. Nowadays they just need some reps for rhythm. Should be two weeks at most for position players.

Yeah, just have everyone report 2 weeks later and have the games start second/third week of March. If players want to go earlier, then that is on them.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
You might not like it, but if you don't notice a difference in intensity of play based on who your team is playing, you aren't paying attention.

If they put the Cubs and Sox in the same division, that extra buzz or whatever you want to call it, wears off after three years.

It would be very disappointing if they blew up the leagues and put these teams from the same markets in same divisions. I'd hate it so much, but they're going to do whatever makes the last dollar, even if it's bad for them or some of their teams in the long run. I think it would be terrible for the White Sox in the long run.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
If they put the Cubs and Sox in the same division, that extra buzz or whatever you want to call it, wears off after three years.

It would be very disappointing if they blew up the leagues and put these teams from the same markets in same divisions. I'd hate it so much, but they're going to do whatever makes the last dollar, even if it's bad for them or some of their teams in the long run. I think it would be terrible for the White Sox in the long run.

Because the Yankees and Red Sox wore off?

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)

I seriously doubt that.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
I seriously doubt that.

It would depend on the quality of the teams, but to say it would be a lock sellout (or 30k+) 12 times a year for decades...no, it wouldn’t.

I just think there’s a line of tradition that can’t be crossed and a radical realignment would be going too far, and hurt some franchises in the long run.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
They've been AL teams since 1901, and aren't 8 miles apart.

Rivalries don't die because teams play each other a lot. You can go down the list of long term rivalries. If you put the Sox and Cubs in the same division and REALLY gave them something to play against each other for, it could actually intensify it to Red Sox vs Yankees levels.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)
Rivalries don't die because teams play each other a lot. You can go down the list of long term rivalries. If you put the Sox and Cubs in the same division and REALLY gave them something to play against each other for, it could actually intensify it to Red Sox vs Yankees levels.

Cubs/Sox fan stupidity can exist without them playing at all. Let’s go with that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)

And not only are they now competing for a division title against one another, they're even more readily fighting for fans.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 10:36 AM)
They should just cut it short period. A whole month of goes seems too much and it seems the players think the same.

You're right. However, ST is big business for Phoenix and Florida cities and way too much money is being spent on these facilities these days.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
Cubs/Sox fan stupidity can exist without them playing at all. Let's go with that.

It can exist, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't exist if they played each other more when anecdotal evidence of other rivalries doesn't show any suffering with frequent head to head match ups.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)
It can exist, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't exist if they played each other more when anecdotal evidence of other rivalries doesn't show any suffering with frequent head to head match ups.

I kinda liked it when the leagues were separate. Don't really care to

watch the sox playing 8-10 of the teams in the NL.

Here's a simple solution:

2 Leagues

4 divisions per league

4 teams per division (this assumes expansion of 2 additional teams)

16 playoff teams. The 8 division winners and four best non division winners per league.

3 game "wild card" round where the division winner plays a wild card. Top division winner plays worst wild card. game one in WC park and games 2-3 at division winner.

5 game "division series" - same home/road splits as current LDS format. Can either play in a hard bracket or re-seed division winners and wild cards.

7 game championship series - same as current format.

7 game world series.

currently, a team that plays in all rounds including the wild card will play 23 games max. this format has a max of 22 games, so the postseason wouldn't get extended at all, thereby not needing to reduce regular season games.

Going to an nhl or nba system of east and west conferences is a bad idea. but going to 16 team brackets for the playoffs is better than a 10 or 12 team format.

8 divisions of 4 teams wouldn’t work in baseball. Teams under .500 would make the playoffs if they did it, and it’s not happening.

It’s either:

Two 16-team leagues with a nearly balanced schedule (see post #118)

or

4 divisions of 8 teams, major realignment, the unbalanced schedule, and 6 or 8 wildcards

Btw Ewok- 16 out of 32 playoff teams in baseball? No way. No how.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 03:25 PM)
Here's a simple solution:

2 Leagues

4 divisions per league

4 teams per division (this assumes expansion of 2 additional teams)

16 playoff teams. The 8 division winners and four best non division winners per league.

3 game "wild card" round where the division winner plays a wild card. Top division winner plays worst wild card. game one in WC park and games 2-3 at division winner.

5 game "division series" - same home/road splits as current LDS format. Can either play in a hard bracket or re-seed division winners and wild cards.

7 game championship series - same as current format.

7 game world series.

currently, a team that plays in all rounds including the wild card will play 23 games max. this format has a max of 22 games, so the postseason wouldn't get extended at all, thereby not needing to reduce regular season games.

Going to an nhl or nba system of east and west conferences is a bad idea. but going to 16 team brackets for the playoffs is better than a 10 or 12 team format.

12 team format works fine for the NFL, and would be a preferred method to me as opposed to the current 10 team format. Give the two best teams in each league the equivalent of a bye (which will make all those September games matter more) with a best of 3 wild card round for teams 3-6. Then proceed as current format.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 04:38 PM)
12 team format works fine for the NFL, and would be a preferred method to me as opposed to the current 10 team format. Give the two best teams in each league the equivalent of a bye (which will make all those September games matter more) with a best of 3 wild card round for teams 3-6. Then proceed as current format.

I do not think a best of 3 Wild Card round works. It's the most fair, but people don't care about fair in the playoffs, because those one and done games are awesome. If they did expand it, like you are suggesting, then I would say you have 4 play in games, which would double the amount of drama from the Wild Card games.

Two divisions in each league, two division winners and four wild card winners. That's 6 playoff teams from each league and the Wild Card teams play to get in, 3v6 and 4v5.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 06:12 PM)
I do not think a best of 3 Wild Card round works. It's the most fair, but people don't care about fair in the playoffs, because those one and done games are awesome. If they did expand it, like you are suggesting, then I would say you have 4 play in games, which would double the amount of drama from the Wild Card games.

Two divisions in each league, two division winners and four wild card winners. That's 6 playoff teams from each league and the Wild Card teams play to get in, 3v6 and 4v5.

Back to back 1 game death matches sounds awesome. Yea it's unfair for many reasons...but that's what you get you s***ty wildcard team. Win your division next year to avoid the gauntlet.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 03:36 PM)
8 divisions of 4 teams wouldn’t work in baseball. Teams under .500 would make the playoffs if they did it, and it’s not happening.

It’s either:

Two 16-team leagues with a nearly balanced schedule (see post #118)

or

4 divisions of 8 teams, major realignment, the unbalanced schedule, and 6 or 8 wildcards

Btw Ewok- 16 out of 32 playoff teams in baseball? No way. No how.

why not? we have 16 in basketball and hockey. and 12 in football.

more teams in the playoffs and "in contention" equal larger local and national ratings. which equals more money. and more money means teams like the sox have more to spend.

f*** major realignment. im for the preservation of what's left of the leagues. you do regional conferences and divisions, and you will watch the sport die.

my idea creates a march madness like atmosphere for the first round of games. you'll have 3-5 games on every day for a week or so.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 04:38 PM)

byes are for lesser sports. like football.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 07:07 PM)
why not? we have 16 in basketball and hockey. and 12 in football.

more teams in the playoffs and "in contention" equal larger local and national ratings. which equals more money. and more money means teams like the sox have more to spend.

f*** major realignment. im for the preservation of what's left of the leagues. you do regional conferences and divisions, and you will watch the sport die.

my idea creates a march madness like atmosphere for the first round of games. you'll have 3-5 games on every day for a week or so.

12 teams just finished 2017 with a winning record. You’d want to add four more losing teams just for more random small sample playoffs? That’s nonsense. The regular season needs to be the toughest test, and the postseason exclusive.

And I’m against radical realignment too. I’d just stack the leagues like I outlined in post 118.

Or even better, don’t expand at all. That would be my first preference.