Sox next local TV deal

Latilleon

I was reading USA Today where an article says the Philadelphia Phillies are in the 2nd year of a 25 year, $2.5 billion TV deal. The Sox will be up for renewal after 2019 season. How much money can the Sox realistically fetch? If the Cubs go off and start their own thing, will it help or hamper the Sox?

Will the Sox make over $100 million annually?

Edited by Latilleon

I believe i read our TV deal will be up after 2019. Has anyone heard what the Sox are possibly looking at in terms of The amount of money it will be fetching? Rumors, nuggets, info maybe? San Diego signed a 1.2 billion dollar deal and Arizona 1.5 billion so we have a chance to do pretty good IMO. St louis also signed a deal over a billion. Were in a big market but maybe not a big market team per say. Thanx any input would be appreciated.

If the Cubs go out alone, it should be announced pretty soon because they will need time to put their channel together.

I don't think the Sox situation will change much. They do own part of the station and will apparently get a bigger piece. Paying yourself is a zero sum game. It does seem Rocky and JR are joined at the hip so I don't see the Sox/Bulls/Hawks partnership breaking up.

Speaking from total ignorance on how these Tv deals are structured, I wouldn't mind the Sox somehow being ahead of the curve and pulling off some deal that makes sense not just for today, but the future landscape..

Meaning - is it possible to work a deal with the Netflix, Hulu, Facebook's of the world along with a TV deal?? I mean, I know absolutely nothing when it comes to this ... just seems that with all the cord cutting and drop in sports ratings that it would be refreshing to be the team that leads some kind of digital charge. Think about how the Cubs grew their fan base through WGN back in the day... they grew it through cable and everybody across the US being able to watch them.. essentially they became America's team this way for people without a market. Is there a way to team up w "new cable" aka digital world?

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 08:00 AM)
Speaking from total ignorance on how these Tv deals are structured, I wouldn't mind the Sox somehow being ahead of the curve and pulling off some deal that makes sense not just for today, but the future landscape..

Meaning - is it possible to work a deal with the Netflix, Hulu, Facebook's of the world along with a TV deal?? I mean, I know absolutely nothing when it comes to this ... just seems that with all the cord cutting and drop in sports ratings that it would be refreshing to be the team that leads some kind of digital charge. Think about how the Cubs grew their fan base through WGN back in the day... they grew it through cable and everybody across the US being able to watch them.. essentially they became America's team this way for people without a market. Is there a way to team up w "new cable" aka digital world?

The problem is none of those networks are going to offer more money than a sports-centered one.

They’re also not going to have sports news and/or reporters devoted to the team.

What would be their interest in promoting the Sox, unless the ratings would generate more profitable advertising buys?

At least WGN and TBS/TNT were affiliated with Chicago and Atlanta respectively.

How much crossover is there with sports fans and movie/tv/entertainment fans....in the general public, but specifically as it relates to an extremely niche-oriented Sox baseball package?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 09:00 AM)

So far it seems like these "networks" have been dealing with the league rather than individual teams, which sort of makes some sense because why would FB only carry one team rather than partnering with the whole league? Furthermore, any deal with any of those would also compete with MLB.com's streaming system (which is as good as anyone in the world btw).

What will be interesting is how many games the White Sox keep on the terrestrial station like WGN. If the Cubs start a network, I would imagine they will have all their games possible on it. The White Sox on WGN might actually work a little bit like the Cubs on WGN worked back in the 70s and 80s. It would be to a lesser extent obviously, and purely local, but with cord cutting, etc, not everyone will have the Cubs channel. White Sox games on free TV could build up the base a little bit.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 10:19 AM)
What will be interesting is how many games the White Sox keep on the terrestrial station like WGN. If the Cubs start a network, I would imagine they will have all their games possible on it. The White Sox on WGN might actually work a little bit like the Cubs on WGN worked back in the 70s and 80s. It would be to a lesser extent obviously, and purely local, but with cord cutting, etc, not everyone will have the Cubs channel. White Sox games on free TV could build up the base a little bit.

WGN isn't broadcasting games nationally anymore. They are out of the sports business for the superstation. Those games only go locally into the Chicago market.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)
WGN isn't broadcasting games nationally anymore. They are out of the sports business for the superstation. Those games only go locally into the Chicago market.

I have not watched that network once since they stopped broadcasting the Bulls and White Sox nationally.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)
I have not watched that network once since they stopped broadcasting the Bulls and White Sox nationally.

Nor have I. The hell with them.

Regarding the Sox new TV deal remember to keep in mind a few factors that will have an impact:

1. The Sox really have no where else to go. Historically Chicago simply doesn't have the amount of independent stations like New York or Los Angeles. The options are limited. The Sox know this (I've spoken with Bob Grim on it in the past. He's the Sox Director of Broadcast Operations)

2. Much will depend on how they are doing on the field and the perception among possible stations on if the Sox can offer a good return for their money.

Given a two team market, given the Cubs probably will suck most of the advertising energy and potential revenue to their new station I can't see the Sox getting the astronomical amounts of money like Seattle, Arizona and St. Louis recently got in their RSN deals.

They'll get a lot, but not a Billion dollars lot. And I'd be surprised if they wound up leaving CSN-Chicago or WGN...like I said they don't have a lot of options.

If you are interested here is my interview with Bob where he talked about his history, how he got to the Sox, the Sox TV situation and what may happen in the future:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/in...=11&id=3669

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)
If the Cubs go out alone, it should be announced pretty soon because they will need time to put their channel together.

I don't think the Sox situation will change much. They do own part of the station and will apparently get a bigger piece. Paying yourself is a zero sum game. It does seem Rocky and JR are joined at the hip so I don't see the Sox/Bulls/Hawks partnership breaking up.

If they split the revenue from the station, the Sox and Bulls are benefiting from the Hawks popularity and it would be silly to leave that deal.

On Garfien's podcast awhile back, he and Dan Hayes seemed pretty confident that the White Sox will hit big on this new TV deal. They even were making it seem as if they can use some of that $$ on the roster-- which is why they think Reinsdorf will go after some big time free agents in 2019! The Sox should be knocking on the playoffs door that year (if not getting closer to it). With Reinsdorf's age and desire to win one more WS, I just don't see a scenario where the Sox do NOT open up their wallets that year.

Hmmm. A Manny Machado signing? A Chris Sale return? Dare I even say Clayton Kershaw?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
On Garfien's podcast awhile back, he and Dan Hayes seemed pretty confident that the White Sox will hit big on this new TV deal. They even were making it seem as if they can use some of that $$ on the roster-- which is why they think Reinsdorf will go after some big time free agents in 2019! The Sox should be knocking on the playoffs door that year (if not getting closer to it). With Reinsdorf's age and desire to win one more WS, I just don't see a scenario where the Sox do NOT open up their wallets that year.

Hmmm. A Manny Machado signing? A Chris Sale return? Dare I even say Clayton Kershaw?

Chris Sale isn't a free agent until after the 2019 season.

WGN-TV does syndicate White Sox games to local affiliate TV stations in Iowa, Illinois and Indiana that are within the broadcast territory assigned by MLB.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)

I think for all of the games to move to WGN, the team would have to undergo some serious renegotiation with the station. I forget the exact terms, but I believe the team receives significantly less in fees per game from WGN than they do from cable. Probably a trade off for the additional exposure ‘GN provides. Nonetheless, the team would be out what would seem some significant revenue if they flew solo on WGN.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
I think for all of the games to move to WGN, the team would have to undergo some serious renegotiation with the station. I forget the exact terms, but I believe the team receives significantly less in fees per game from WGN than they do from cable. Probably a trade off for the additional exposure ‘GN provides. Nonetheless, the team would be out what would seem some significant revenue if they flew solo on WGN.

wgn is an over the air station. the next tv deal will be similar to the current nbc sports deal. the sox will have equity in the station and air all or most game's on it.

My $50 bet will be they stay on nbc sports and make more money per year. The cubs are bolting no matter what. The sox already have equity in the station, and have the right to purchase the cubs share. And staying on nbc sports means that they wont have to negotiate with every cable provider because they are already on most tvs in Chicago's market.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 08:52 PM)
I would just appreciate a legal way to watch White Sox games from inside their blackout territory. I would pay $120 a year to get MLB.TV; sadly, I still cannot watch Sox games, legally.

get a cable provider that carries nbc sports Chicago. I know directv will let you buy access.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 06:15 PM)
Does anyone know how much we make from our TV deal right now? Like saying we'll get $100 million is nice, but if we currently get $75 million its not really that much of an increase and actually might just be matching inflation or new expenses with the better cameras or something.

I believe the sox are in the 50 million range with nbc sports. about 500k per game. the sox actually make more money on nbc sports than the cubs, since the sox air about 100 games on nbc sports. the cubs get the same amount, but air much less games on nbc sports.

wgn I was told was about 125k per game.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 03:33 PM)
get a cable provider that carries nbc sports Chicago. I know directv will let you buy access.

Not a choice in an apartment. I suppose I could buy DirecTV without having it installed, but that's a bridge too far :D. Regardless, I don't want to have to buy an additional service when I really just want to buy MLB.TV.