Our Next Manager?

bmags

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Latilleon @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
Joe Girardi Out as Yankees Manager

Assuming he doesn’t take the Nationals opening, could the Sox drop Rick Renteria after next season for Joe Girardi? He wanted to manage the Cubs if I remember correctly. Does that mean he’d be willing to manage the Sox?

Is he a manager we should want? Would he be better than Rick?

You would have to be assuming no one adds Girardi in the off-season.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Tony @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 09:52 AM)
Sorry Ricky, you’ve been replaced by Joe....stop me if you’ve heard this before.

It's not even like I find Girardi to be this incredible manager, I just don't understand how much more production they want from the position.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 09:52 AM)
Does Jerry still own the White Sox?

Does this indicate he has something against Girardi personally or is it a more general "Reinsdorf is too cheap to hire this guy/Reinsdorf won't just change managers like that" comment?

Not sure Girardi is a guy you need to go out and get, but he just managed a rebuilding team in New York to within 1 game of the WS, and the Sox are a rebuilding team with a lot of talent. And he's probably better than Renteria at least.

I agree with SoxFan that they like that Renteria speaks spanish. It seems that the Sox always have a high number of spanish speaking players, moreso than any other team. No data for this, just eye balling. So I think they love that about Renteria. HOWEVER, I'd love the idea of bringing in Girardi assuming he wants to coach more. He wanted to be in Chicago a few years ago, maybe he'd come to the Sox? All just speculation now..

QUOTE (Quin @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
It was disgraceful when the Cubs did it, it'd be disgraceful if the Sox fire Ricky solely to hire Girardi. I think Ricky earned next season.

Eh, I'm not against a team moving on from a player that has earned it if it helps them win.

The '14 paulie swan song was not...romantic or enjoyable.

If they don't think Joe can do it with younger guys best move on now.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)
Not sure Girardi is a guy you need to go out and get, but he just managed a rebuilding team in New York to within 1 game of the WS, and the Sox are a rebuilding team with a lot of talent. And he's probably better than Renteria at least.

I wouldn't say "rebuilding" when describing the Yankees situation. They sold off two relievers (one was going to be a free agent) and Beltran in 16.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
It's not even like I find Girardi to be this incredible manager, I just don't understand how much more production they want from the position.

The Yankees were at least one year, if not two ahead of schedule with this team. I am not sure what they wanted either.

QUOTE (Quin @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
It was disgraceful when the Cubs did it, it'd be disgraceful if the Sox fire Ricky solely to hire Girardi. I think Ricky earned next season.

With the progress this team made last year amongst the position players, plus having rookies come up and contribute, I think he has earned not getting fired for sure.

I'm borderline shocked people want to dump Ricky after one season. He did nothing this season that deserves a quick exit and the players quite clearly enjoy playing for him. Dumping him just because would be incredibly unprofessional.