Our Next Manager?

bmags

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)
I'm borderline shocked people want to dump Ricky after one season. He did nothing this season that deserves a quick exit and the players quite clearly enjoy playing for him. Dumping him just because would be incredibly unprofessional.

I agree. I am not a big Renteria managing fan, but he has done everything asked of him and then some. They play hard. If a bunt attemptcosts you in a meaningful game, then you have a case.

The White Sox did pursue Leyland when Bevington was managing. But that was Bevengton. On his worst day, Renteria is not Bevington.

Edited by Dick Allen

Joel Sherman was saying how the Yanks really like Raul Ibanez too, the guy has been working his way up on coaching staffs for a while now. Wouldn't be surprised his spanish speaking ability is another factor they like about him. I think the Sox are just fine with Ricky and he'll get better as the Sox get better.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)
Disgraceful?

The Cubs won the World Series with Maddon. Do you think they would do anything differently?

I have nothing against Renteria. But questions about what he "deserves" --or whether he committed any fireable offenses this season--are misplaced. I suppose Tim Anderson didn't do anything to "deserve" losing the starting SS job for the Chicago White Sox in a vacuum, but if Francisco Lindor fell into our lap through some miracle -- peace out, Tim. If you think there's a manager that puts you in a better position to win than Renteria does, it's worth looking at replacing Renteria if financial and other considerations line up. I think Girardi's body of work is superior to Renteria's. I'd be excited if the Sox hired him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 07:54 AM)
It's not even like I find Girardi to be this incredible manager, I just don't understand how much more production they want from the position.

In this case, its probably that they just want a change in voice, etc. Joe would be very high on my list if we went a different way, but I also very much enjoy our current mgr and think he's a good fit for our young team as well. That said, Joe G did a really nice job on the youth development this past year in New York.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
I agree. I am not a big Renteria managing fan, but he has done everything asked of him and then some. They play hard. If a bunt attemptcosts you in a meaningful game, then you have a case.

The White Sox did pursue Leyland when Bevington was managing. But that was Bevengton. On his worst day, Renteria is not Bevington.

My right shoe would not be as bad as Bevington.

Somehow I missed this thread earlier. I think Girardi handled that team very well so to me, this is surprising. Agree with those that say Girardi ends up in Miami.

As for the White Sox, stick with Ricky for another season and see where were at after 2018.

I wonder who the Yankees have in mind. My guess is the owner is sick of Girardi just because he's been there 10 years. Stupid, however. He probably should be second in AL manager of the year voting behind Houston. The Yankees did great this season.Obviously this is a case of the guy being there too long. Sox probably should do what the Cubs did, in fact. It's cruel and heartless but he probably should be the guy to manage our young team starting now. Girardi probably is too big a name for that, though. Kenny probably wants to make sure he's the most important guy in the organization now that he was able to purge himself from Ozzie. No chance we hire a name manager as long as KW is there.

I'm OK with Renteria, but if you truly wanted what's best for the organization ... you'd get rid of Renteria and bring in Girardi to fuel the WS years.

With all of the latino players that we have, Renteria isnt going anywhere.One big reason they got him ia not only just to help develope young players but it is easier to manage when you can speak the language fluently. Girardi or Dusty baker cannot. Another factor, Jerrys "loyalty" kicks that he always has. He Is NOT going to put Renteria out to dry like The Cubs did. Relax everyone Ricky is here to stay even if Joe Torre or Tony LaRussa wants to come back and manage

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 03:03 PM)
With all of the latino players that we have, Renteria isnt going anywhere.One big reason they got him ia not only just to help develope young players but it is easier to manage when you can speak the language fluently. Girardi or Dusty baker cannot. Another factor, Jerrys "loyalty" kicks that he always has. He Is NOT going to put Renteria out to dry like The Cubs did. Relax everyone Ricky is here to stay even if Joe Torre or Tony LaRussa wants to come back and manage

And this is why I said more than half the MLB teams will have a Latino manager in the next 10 years, if not sooner.