Our Next Manager?

bmags

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
With all of the latino players that we have, Renteria isnt going anywhere.One big reason they got him ia not only just to help develope young players but it is easier to manage when you can speak the language fluently. Girardi or Dusty baker cannot. Another factor, Jerrys "loyalty" kicks that he always has. He Is NOT going to put Renteria out to dry like The Cubs did. Relax everyone Ricky is here to stay even if Joe Torre or Tony LaRussa wants to come back and manage

Rick was never an organization guy. Ozzie and Robin were. Big difference. If Robin wasn’t a great white sox player he would’ve been gone way sooner.

IMO...ridiculous to even entertain the thought of getting rid of Renteria right now. From what I've read...Girardi isn't the easiest or most congenial guy to get along with...so why would anyone even consider bringing him in to a rebuilding team. Personally...I'm happy with Ricky...let's see where he can take this group of young players. I can't see Jerry pulling the plug on him at this point either...just isn't his style.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
Dangle enough money and he will. See: Ventura, Robin

It has nothing to with money. It's desire and appropriate personality. Ventura had those (although sometimes the desire was questioned). AJ does not.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 03:03 PM)
With all of the latino players that we have, Renteria isnt going anywhere.One big reason they got him ia not only just to help develope young players but it is easier to manage when you can speak the language fluently. Girardi or Dusty baker cannot. Another factor, Jerrys "loyalty" kicks that he always has. He Is NOT going to put Renteria out to dry like The Cubs did. Relax everyone Ricky is here to stay even if Joe Torre or Tony LaRussa wants to come back and manage

Baker is fluent in spanish.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 05:58 PM)

hmmmm interesting. I didn't know that. Either way, I REALLY do believe that Renteria is here for the long haul especially with the way he is building comaraderie with the players, as well as doing what the front office want which NEVER quit and run out and play every play HARD

I think Renteria is a bad tactical/in-game manager, but he has earned the 2018 season. The team played hard and there seemed to be good chemistry on and off the field despite all of the roster turnover and mounting losses. If Girardi or any other well regarded manager came onto the market next winter or when this young squad is ready to compete I would definitely want the FO to explore bringing him in. But not now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)
I agree. I am not a big Renteria managing fan, but he has done everything asked of him and then some. They play hard. If a bunt attemptcosts you in a meaningful game, then you have a case.

The White Sox did pursue Leyland when Bevington was managing. But that was Bevengton. On his worst day, Renteria is not Bevington.

RR's strength may be working with younger players. I must admit I probably enjoyed the latter half of this season than the previous five because the guys played hard.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 05:57 PM)
It has nothing to with money. It's desire and appropriate personality. Ventura had those (although sometimes the desire was questioned). AJ does not.

Could not disagree more. Ventura had to be talked into managing.

QUOTE (Quin @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
It was disgraceful when the Cubs did it, it'd be disgraceful if the Sox fire Ricky solely to hire Girardi. I think Ricky earned next season.

I'm not in favor of dumping Ricky for Girardi, but it wouldn't be the same scenario as the Cubs.

Renteria took a 67 win Cubs team and won 73 games.

Renteria took a 78 win Sox team and won 67 games.

I understand that was not Ricky's fault the Sox sucked this year, and it was stacked against him, but the Cubs fired him right as their rebuild was rocketing towards the finish line. The Sox *would* be firing him after the lowest point of the rebuild.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 04:40 AM)
I'm not in favor of dumping Ricky for Girardi, but it wouldn't be the same scenario as the Cubs.

I understand that was not Ricky's fault the Sox sucked this year, and it was stacked against him, but the Cubs fired him right as their rebuild was rocketing towards the finish line. The Sox *would* be firing him after the lowest point of the rebuild.

This is about opportunity. How could the Mets not have waited a week? They didn't hear rumors Girardi was getting axed? They could have had Girardi in a coup. It would have embarrassed the Yankees big time. The Sox should hire Girardi. Only he, Francona, Maddon are the alleged difference maker managers. Rick Renteria will be fine. He'll be a highly paid coach as long as he wants to coach. He's just fine. But hire Girardi and let him have his way witih all our young talent. And give him some power to suggest trades or personnel moves. Kenny is a joke; Hahn appears to be good. The Sox scouts we know reek and our player development people reek. The only guy who is proven at developing players is Coop. He does a fine job. Nobody else has a track record at all.

I am not demanding Girardi be named. Rick R is doing a fine job except for the bunting b.s. But this is a chance to grab him. If he broadcasts a year, you can bet we'll hire him after next season UNLESS as I said before KW is threatened by any big name managing hire, which is possible. He won the war with Ozzie and he knows how miserable the Ozzie years were for him.

Peace out.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 11:54 PM)
This is about opportunity. How could the Mets not have waited a week? They didn't hear rumors Girardi was getting axed? They could have had Girardi in a coup. It would have embarrassed the Yankees big time. The Sox should hire Girardi. Only he, Francona, Maddon are the alleged difference maker managers. Rick Renteria will be fine. He'll be a highly paid coach as long as he wants to coach. He's just fine. But hire Girardi and let him have his way witih all our young talent. And give him some power to suggest trades or personnel moves. Kenny is a joke; Hahn appears to be good. The Sox scouts we know reek and our player development people reek. The only guy who is proven at developing players is Coop. He does a fine job. Nobody else has a track record at all.

I am not demanding Girardi be named. Rick R is doing a fine job except for the bunting b.s. But this is a chance to grab him. If he broadcasts a year, you can bet we'll hire him after next season UNLESS as I said before KW is threatened by any big name managing hire, which is possible. He won the war with Ozzie and he knows how miserable the Ozzie years were for him.

Peace out.

There is no reason for Girardi to want to come here.

Peace out.

Have you been drinking? If the answer is yes, then stop. If the answer is no, then start.

Peace out.

^

Will somebody come get him?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 12:54 AM)

Peace out.

Can you not make 1 post even about managers and not mention your man crush Ozzie? It's really sad...give it up

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 12:40 AM)

This is hysterically disingenuous and you know it.

He took at 78 win team that lost a HOF level starter, have a season of a Top 15 pitcher, a gutted bullpen, an elite right fielder traded and a grieving SS for the first half. And there was only an 11 win drop.

QUOTE (Quin @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)
This is hysterically disingenuous and you know it.

He took at 78 win team that lost a HOF level starter, have a season of a Top 15 pitcher, a gutted bullpen, an elite right fielder traded and a grieving SS for the first half. And there was only an 11 win drop.

On paper it was us or the Padres as worst team in baseball coming into the season and we clearly played above that level, even though the team continued being gutted during the year.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 05:56 AM)
There is no reason for Girardi to want to come here.

Why not? He's a baseball guy and knows Chicago is a great city for baseball and sports in general and we have one of the up and coming teams on paper. What would he have against Chicago except the front office dynamic of Kenny sort of in charge and Hahn sort of in charge?

QUOTE (MEANS @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
Can you not make 1 post even about managers and not mention your man crush Ozzie? It's really sad...give it up

Ozzie is in the news. Why can't I mention my favorite? Also I haven't mentioned him in forever.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tige...ager/714921001/

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2013..._love_to_p.html

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 05:58 PM)

This surprises me but doesn't at the same time. He's a good manager, even if his handling of a pitching staff could improve.

He's only 68, which also surprises me, because he's been around forever.