Our Next Manager?

bmags

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The quitting on the team thing is so cliche. It was late in the year. The Sox wanted to get rid of the mouth that roared. He didn't quit on anybody. He did exactly what the front office wanted ... leave.

Ozzie's demise is a great lesson in humility for the working class. Remember no man is bigger than the company he/she works for. ANYBODY is replaceable. Open your mouth too much (once for normal working stiffs) and you are GONE. Remember that.

It's why those people getting arrested during protests are so stupid as well. You get arrested, you are done for life. No high paying job for you, arrestee. The world stops for no one. We are ALL replaceable. Ozzie is unhirable cause he opened his trap too much. Case closed.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 30, 2017 -> 09:39 PM)
The quitting on the team thing is so cliche. It was late in the year. The Sox wanted to get rid of the mouth that roared. He didn't quit on anybody. He did exactly what the front office wanted ... leave.

Ozzie's demise is a great lesson in humility for the working class. Remember no man is bigger than the company he/she works for. ANYBODY is replaceable. Open your mouth too much (once for normal working stiffs) and you are GONE. Remember that.

It's why those people getting arrested during protests are so stupid as well. You get arrested, you are done for life. No high paying job for you, arrestee. The world stops for no one. We are ALL replaceable. Ozzie is unhirable cause he opened his trap too much. Case closed.

Caulfield?

Greg, what do you do for a living just out of curiosity?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2017 -> 07:34 PM)
It's the offseason and people are not posting much which means they'll still get mad at me for bringing this up ... but I've been reading a lot of Ozzie speculation stories -- to the Yankees or Tigers, which are just reporters dreaming to get great-copy Ozzie on board.

But it made me think. The guy is still young and has a WS ring and speaks Spanish. This guy, who assuredly has matured, would be perfect for our rebuilt team. Get him to sign a waiver saying a committee of three (Jerry, KW and Hahn) will have the right to fine him $100,000 for any controversial statements on Twitter or on radio or TV that they deem harmful. A second violation would be immediate dismissal. And he's also fined $100,000 if he ever makes the statement, "I'd tell you what I really think but I could get fined $100,000 if I do so." The only risk is that Ozzie will open his mouth in negative ways again. How many times did he truly get in trouble opening his mouth in his Chicago years? Not that many. Miami was the bad one.

I know he's probably blackballed by all owners and will never work in baseball again, but the White Sox are a different organization. Allegedly so loyal. If Renteria doesn't work out, why not forgive and bring Ozzie back?

Before you freak out and say I'm trolling or whtaever, remember Ozzie HAS BEEN in the news this week. Some stories have been written saying Detroit and NYY should hire him. Stephen A Smith called for Ozzie. It's not like I'm trying to cause trouble. Yes I worship Ozzie Guillen if that's the right word. Yes I want him back. And some of these articles give me a smidge of hope.

So in your minds ... would you accept Ozzie back?? Please answer. a.) Yes. b.) No. c.) No Bleeping Way. d.) Yes dammit of course!

If this topic angers you, sorry. But he is a part of Sox history and he's still young and available and talented.

Am I the only one that sees the irony in these two posts? :huh:

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 10:10 AM)
The odds of me being named manager and the odds of Ozzie being rehired are probably similar. The dude wore out his welcome, and he is not a very good strategic manager.

The stench of putting yourself ahead of your team and organization as a manager isn't really a stench that wears off, nor is it one that should wear off. The dude flat out quit on his team. The manager is the guy that is supposed to lead you through adversity and save you from distractions, not quit on the team and be a distraction.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 04:10 PM)
The odds of me being named manager and the odds of Ozzie being rehired are probably similar. The dude wore out his welcome, and he is not a very good strategic manager.

Are there any good strategic managers? Maddon has been called out and Girardi called out this postseason for dumb decisions. Francona's team flopped. I just wondered if there are any good strategic managers. Ozzie seemed to have as good a feel for the game as any except for the Sunday lineups.

QUOTE (FloydBannister1983 @ Oct 30, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
There's the concept of opportunity cost. For a top manager like Girardi it would be significant. For bottom of the barrel guys like Ventura or Renteria there is no opportunity cost.

Where is the opportunity cost? What better job is going to open? Boston? Just hired someone. Dodgers? Can't see Roberts going anywhere. Cubs? Maddon punched his ticket. Nats? Just hired someone, and were probably too cheap to sign him. Mets? Just filled. Phillies? Just filled. Houston? Can't imagine Hinch in on the hot seat. Maybe there are others Girardi would prefer, but not necessarily the obvious ones. Who knows what matters to him.

After being let go after the run he just had, maybe a little JR style loyalty is just what Girardi would be craving. Though with that said, I can't see the Sox dumping Ricky after 1 year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
Are there any good strategic managers? Maddon has been called out and Girardi called out this postseason for dumb decisions. Francona's team flopped. I just wondered if there are any good strategic managers. Ozzie seemed to have as good a feel for the game as any except for the Sunday lineups.

The two remaining managers are both great strategically. Both have had blunders, but no one is perfect.

Ozzie Guillen was great because he deflected blame and controversy away from his players onto himself, but that eventually caught up to him and then he no longer cared and gave up on his team. He showed in Miami that he was done managing. I would be beyond surprised if he ever managed again other than in a short-term capacity.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 11:20 AM)
I saw it too. It's not surprising.

Par for the course.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
When I went back and actually read his posts, no you're not the only one who sees it :lol:

I actually subjected myself to reading those posts twice to make sure I was actually reading what I thought I had read. :lolhitting

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)
Where is the opportunity cost? What better job is going to open? Boston? Just hired someone. Dodgers? Can't see Roberts going anywhere. Cubs? Maddon punched his ticket. Nats? Just hired someone, and were probably too cheap to sign him. Mets? Just filled. Phillies? Just filled. Houston? Can't imagine Hinch in on the hot seat. Maybe there are others Girardi would prefer, but not necessarily the obvious ones. Who knows what matters to him.

After being let go after the run he just had, maybe a little JR style loyalty is just what Girardi would be craving. Though with that said, I can't see the Sox dumping Ricky after 1 year.

There's plenty of opportunity cost. Jobs will open next year and the year after. If Girardi were to stupidly take a job with the White Sox and then a desirable job opened next year the cost to him to be stuck here would be enormous. Best for him to take a studio job for a year or even two. I agree with the previous people that said he'd manage that team on the north side of Chicago. He doesn't need to take a stepping stone job at this point of his career.

Edited by FloydBannister1983

QUOTE (FloydBannister1983 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 02:38 PM)
There's plenty of opportunity cost. Jobs will open next year and the year after. If Girardi were to stupidly take a job with the White Sox and then a desirable job opened next year the cost to him to be stuck here would be enormous. Best for him to take a studio job for a year or even two. I agree with the previous people that said he'd manage that team on the north side of Chicago. He doesn't need to take a stepping stone job at this point of his career.

Ok, so you think the job on the north side is opening next year? How long is he going to sit on the sidelines? As I mentioned in my previous post, all the high profile, highly desirable jobs have been recently filled or seem completely happy with their managers. I know that can change in an instant, but how bad would Maddon have to be to get fired after next year? Or Francona? Or Roberts?

What is the job that he wants so badly that is a year away?

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 03:05 PM)
Ok, so you think the job on the north side is opening next year? How long is he going to sit on the sidelines? As I mentioned in my previous post, all the high profile, highly desirable jobs have been recently filled or seem completely happy with their managers. I know that can change in an instant, but how bad would Maddon have to be to get fired after next year? Or Francona? Or Roberts?

What is the job that he wants so badly that is a year away?

Who said anything about that job opening next year?

A guy like Girardi is not going to take a middle to low tier managing job. The Girardi's of the world don't take stepping stone jobs reserved for the Renteria's, Ventura's, Guillen's, Manuel's, Bevington's, and LaMont's of the world. The top tier or even second tier guys are not coming here. It would be a backward step. He will take a studio job and take his time until a desirable job becomes available.

Masson won't have to be fired. He's already an old man. I doubt he signs an extension when his current deanis up.

QUOTE (FloydBannister1983 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 08:38 PM)
If Girardi were to stupidly take a job with the White Sox and then a desirable job opened next year the cost to him to be stuck here would be enormous. He doesn't need to take a stepping stone job at this point of his career.

This isn't like college basketball ... a guy taking a job at Tulsa only to skip away to a Power Five conference job after two seasons.

The Sox supposedly are the next great thing. Why is Chicago a stepping stone job? It's a great city and Cleveland got Francona to go there for gosh sakes. It's not like the south side job is trash with this young talent coming up. A good manager might win 2, 3, 4 titles in chicago.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 04:02 PM)
This isn't like college basketball ... a guy taking a job at Tulsa only to skip away to a Power Five conference job after two seasons.

The Sox supposedly are the next great thing. Why is Chicago a stepping stone job? It's a great city and Cleveland got Francona to go there for gosh sakes. It's not like the south side job is trash with this young talent coming up. A good manager might win 2, 3, 4 titles in chicago.

You're taking the whole "I'm a complete dolt" act to a whole new level. sorry mods, but 4 titles? :lol:

I'll give you points for enthusiasm but winning the World Series is really, really hard. Much less the same manager winning it multiple times with the same team. It hasn't happened much. Especially for teams not named the Yankees.

• Bruce Bochy — San Francisco Giants: 2014, 2012 & 2010
  • Tony La Russa — St. Louis Cardinals: 2011 & 2006
  • Sparky Anderson — Cincinnati Reds: 1976 & 1975
  • Miller Huggins — New York Yankees: 1928, 1927 & 1923
  • John McGraw — New York Giants: 1922, 1921 & 1905
  • Joe Torre — New York Yankees: 2000, 1999, 1998 & 1996
  • Walter Alston — Los Angeles/Brooklyn Dodgers: 1965, 1963, 1959 & 1955-x

x-Brooklyn

• Connie Mack — Philadelphia A's: 1930, 1929, 1913, 1911 & 1910
  • Casey Stengel — New York Yankees: 1958, 1956, 1953, 1952, 1951, 1950 & 1949
  • Joe McCarthy — New York Yankees: 1943, 1941, 1939, 1938, 1937, 1936 & 1933

Not sure if that's an all-inclusive list. Just what a quick google search gave me.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)
I'll give you points for enthusiasm but winning the World Series is really, really hard. Much less the same manager winning it multiple times with the same team. It hasn't happened much. Especially for teams not named the Yankees.

• Bruce Bochy — San Francisco Giants: 2014, 2012 & 2010
  • Tony La Russa — St. Louis Cardinals: 2011 & 2006
  • Sparky Anderson — Cincinnati Reds: 1976 & 1975
  • Miller Huggins — New York Yankees: 1928, 1927 & 1923
  • John McGraw — New York Giants: 1922, 1921 & 1905
  • Joe Torre — New York Yankees: 2000, 1999, 1998 & 1996
  • Walter Alston — Los Angeles/Brooklyn Dodgers: 1965, 1963, 1959 & 1955-x

x-Brooklyn

• Connie Mack — Philadelphia A's: 1930, 1929, 1913, 1911 & 1910
  • Casey Stengel — New York Yankees: 1958, 1956, 1953, 1952, 1951, 1950 & 1949
  • Joe McCarthy — New York Yankees: 1943, 1941, 1939, 1938, 1937, 1936 & 1933

Not sure if that's an all-inclusive list. Just what a quick google search gave me.

Francona did it with the 2004 and 2007 Red Sox.

Chicago itself is not an entry level job but managing the White Sox is. Why? ESPN can't remember they exist. They routinely have one of the lowest television ratings in the league. Every manager they've hired in the last 40 years has had no managing experience, except for the current guy who had a cup of coffee with the organization on the north side until a top tier manager became available. They are a small market team in the third largest market in the country. This is why managing the White Sox is an entry level position, for starters.

But if you want to ignore all of history then I concede that Joe Girardi or Dusty Baker or Tony LaRussa or Joe Torre or Bob Brenley or any other top tier manager could end up here. I hope for your sake you get your wish.

As far as 2, 3, 4 titles goes ... They've been to the postseason 5 times in the last 50 years and have advanced one single season. I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but I'd wait for the crown jewel of your rebuild to average his weight before you have them winning four titles.

QUOTE (FloydBannister1983 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 05:12 PM)
Chicago itself is not an entry level job but managing the White Sox is. Why? ESPN can't remember they exist. They routinely have one of the lowest television ratings in the league. Every manager they've hired in the last 40 years has had no managing experience, except for the current guy who had a cup of coffee with the organization on the north side until a top tier manager became available. They are a small market team in the third largest market in the country. This is why managing the White Sox is an entry level position, for starters.

But if you want to ignore all of history then I concede that Joe Girardi or Dusty Baker or Tony LaRussa or Joe Torre or Bob Brenley or any other top tier manager could end up here. I hope for your sake you get your wish.

Well, Francona went to Cleveland, which at the time, was not particularly considered to be a wonderful job.

The fact is, there are a very limited number of these jobs open every year, and unless one is willing to be extraordinarily patient, all but a few are very desirable.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 07:24 PM)
Well, Francona went to Cleveland, which at the time, was not particularly considered to be a wonderful job.

The fact is, there are a very limited number of these jobs open every year, and unless one is willing to be extraordinarily patient, all but a few are very desirable.

I concede that anything that has never happened before can happen in the future.

QUOTE (FloydBannister1983 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 05:29 PM)
I concede that anything that has never happened before can happen in the future.

I think the history you are pointing to has more to do with the way the White Sox choose their managers than the potential candidates available to them.

I tend to agree with Greg here...I think we could attract any number of extremely qualified candidates.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 07:30 PM)
I think the history you are pointing to has more to do with the way the White Sox choose their managers than the potential candidates available to them.

I tend to agree with Greg here...I think we could attract any number of extremely qualified candidates.

I certainly hope for the sake of people that are fans of the White Sox that your faith is rewarded. It is certainly possible that the very same management group could do a complete reversal of everything they have stood for for the past 37 years. I'll continue to rely on evidence. Hopefully I can be wrong and they will hire a qualified manager someday.