Our Next Manager?

bmags

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
This surprises me but doesn't at the same time. He's a good manager, even if his handling of a pitching staff could improve.

He's only 68, which also surprises me, because he's been around forever.

He did a good job with the Nats. Dusty Baker has done nothing but win pretty much everywhere he has gone. That isn't such an easy feat. Has he ever gone somewhere where he didn't make the playoffs? You could debate how he handles a pitching staff, but by and large his teams have done well. He has managed for 22 years and has a .532 career winning percentage (and made the playoffs 9 times out of those 22 years...not counting the season his team won over 100 games and missed the playoffs and most of those years were in the era without the extra wild card that makes it a bit easier to make the playoffs). His playoff record might be debatable, but he's a darn good manager.

On an unrelated point, Ned Colletti is a guy that would be high on my list if I were to hire a GM. The dude has been working as an advisor to the Dodgers after getting let go, but he really orchestrated the rebuilding of the Dodgers. Yes, the new front office has made changes, but the core players and talent still largely comes from the Colletti run front office.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
Why not? He's a baseball guy and knows Chicago is a great city for baseball and sports in general and we have one of the up and coming teams on paper. What would he have against Chicago except the front office dynamic of Kenny sort of in charge and Hahn sort of in charge?

Why not? That would like Phil Jackson going to coach the Sacramento Kings or Bill Belichick going to coach the Buffalo Bills. Why would a serious manager come to an organization that can't even be remembered by ESPN? Joe Girardi is never coming to the White Sox.

QUOTE (FloydBannister1983 @ Oct 28, 2017 -> 03:00 AM)
Why not? That would like Phil Jackson going to coach the Sacramento Kings or Bill Belichick going to coach the Buffalo Bills. Why would a serious manager come to an organization that can't even be remembered by ESPN? Joe Girardi is never coming to the White Sox.

I never thought the Sox were a laughingstock organization just cause the Sox are located in the great city of Chicago. Cmon. Harry Caray made Chicago his home for decades. Michael Jordan played in Chicago for many years. Gale Sayers. Walter Payton, Dick Butkus, Bobby Hull. Kane. All those Cubs like Williams, Banks and now Bryant. Sox had Bo Jackson come to town. Frank Thomas. Sox won it all in 2005. I don't think it'd be embarrassing at all for Girardi to move onto Chicago.

Sure he probably wouldn't do it, but I think it'd be because of the Kenny Williams factor. A true baseball man probably wants nothing to do with Kenny. Aside from that ... Chicago. Anybody's kind of town. Famous or not.

Edited by greg775

The Nat's would be a good fit for Girardi and , IMHO, would be an upgrade over Dusty or at least bring something different to the clubhouse in DC. I know the Nat's just interviewed Farrell but now that Girardi is available, I would think he'll interview soon. Not sure why but I think Farrell would be a good fit for a young team like the Phillies.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 11:23 PM)
The Nat's would be a good fit for Girardi and , IMHO, would be an upgrade over Dusty or at least bring something different to the clubhouse in DC. I know the Nat's just interviewed Farrell but now that Girardi is available, I would think he'll interview soon. Not sure why but I think Farrell would be a good fit for a young team like the Phillies.

I had a few thoughts on this:

1. It seems the main issues that have surfaced w Girardi is his intensity and communication issues( which may be connected). But whatever reason Cashman had, it outweighed success on the field.

2. Farrell was 1st Red Sox manager since divisonal play to win back to back divisional titles. Some of the rumors were communication issues caused his downfall. Again, success on the field did not help him

3. I think we are in the era where the FO( and their personalities) have stronger feelings on how the team should play on a daily basis. I think the myriad of statistics available is causing more FO opinions on what should be happening on the field. Managers who disregard the direction they are urged to go become unpopular with the GM and his stat geeks.

4. As a fan watching games in Boston, almost every game the cameras pan to Bob Kraft, Danny Ainge or Dombrowski. Years ago owners and GM's were always in the background eexcept when changes occurred. I know the Boston media constantly criticized Farrell for postgame remarks. The same media that is pis*** because Belichick regularly gives them nothing in postgame interviews. In Boston, Theo was always in the news and I assume the same is happening in Chicago.

5. I think managers will continue to move around in the era where the FO wants to play manager every day.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 09:23 PM)

From what i've read, the problem with Girardi to Nats is mostly the cost. The Lerners have a tendency to be penny-wise but pound-foolish.

Girardi might have to take a year off like Tito, but he'll find the right opening pretty soon.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 28, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
From what i've read, the problem with Girardi to Nats is mostly the cost. The Lerners have a tendency to be penny-wise but pound-foolish.

Girardi might have to take a year off like Tito, but he'll find the right opening pretty soon.

If the Red Sox took Alex Cora should the Yankees take Joey Cora??? Girardi to Philly..........................

QUOTE (Quin @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)
This is hysterically disingenuous and you know it.

He took at 78 win team that lost a HOF level starter, have a season of a Top 15 pitcher, a gutted bullpen, an elite right fielder traded and a grieving SS for the first half. And there was only an 11 win drop.

You missed my point, while also missing my acknowledgment of most of your post.

Firing Renteria in a year in which the team has bottomed out doesn't have the same optics as firing him right near the top of the rebuild when the team is a playoff contender.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 28, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)

Yeah, I read the same thing too. It's just speculation on my part but I think the Lerner's will change their tune this time around. They have to know by now that their being cheap with their managers is why the team hasn't fulfilled their WS aspersions. Girardi isn't great but he has shown he has a good idea of when and how to use his bullpen which is more than the Learner's can say about their most recent ex-manager.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 29, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
So Dave Martinez to Nats.

Remember when we all wanted him to replace Ozzie? Seems so long ago.

Not sure where Girardi ends up now. Some team that underachieves in 2018, or a team that fires their manager to bring him in? Angels? Cardinals?

Lol, shows how little I know. Good to see Martinez finally get a chance.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 29, 2017 -> 02:48 PM)
Yea, no joke! Atta boy Davey!

Still wish we woulda given him his first gig.

Yeah, Martinez or Sandy Alomar Jr would have been better options that RV, IMHO. It's cool, I'm fine with Ricky for the time being.

So, looks like Farrell and Girardi are still looking for new homes. Maybe they sign with a network as a new broadcast team. :P

It's the offseason and people are not posting much which means they'll still get mad at me for bringing this up ... but I've been reading a lot of Ozzie speculation stories -- to the Yankees or Tigers, which are just reporters dreaming to get great-copy Ozzie on board.

But it made me think. The guy is still young and has a WS ring and speaks Spanish. This guy, who assuredly has matured, would be perfect for our rebuilt team. Get him to sign a waiver saying a committee of three (Jerry, KW and Hahn) will have the right to fine him $100,000 for any controversial statements on Twitter or on radio or TV that they deem harmful. A second violation would be immediate dismissal. And he's also fined $100,000 if he ever makes the statement, "I'd tell you what I really think but I could get fined $100,000 if I do so." The only risk is that Ozzie will open his mouth in negative ways again. How many times did he truly get in trouble opening his mouth in his Chicago years? Not that many. Miami was the bad one.

I know he's probably blackballed by all owners and will never work in baseball again, but the White Sox are a different organization. Allegedly so loyal. If Renteria doesn't work out, why not forgive and bring Ozzie back?

Before you freak out and say I'm trolling or whtaever, remember Ozzie HAS BEEN in the news this week. Some stories have been written saying Detroit and NYY should hire him. Stephen A Smith called for Ozzie. It's not like I'm trying to cause trouble. Yes I worship Ozzie Guillen if that's the right word. Yes I want him back. And some of these articles give me a smidge of hope.

So in your minds ... would you accept Ozzie back?? Please answer. a.) Yes. b.) No. c.) No Bleeping Way. d.) Yes dammit of course!

If this topic angers you, sorry. But he is a part of Sox history and he's still young and available and talented.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2017 -> 07:34 PM)
It's the offseason and people are not posting much which means they'll still get mad at me for bringing this up ... but I've been reading a lot of Ozzie speculation stories -- to the Yankees or Tigers, which are just reporters dreaming to get great-copy Ozzie on board.

But it made me think. The guy is still young and has a WS ring and speaks Spanish. This guy, who assuredly has matured, would be perfect for our rebuilt team. Get him to sign a waiver saying a committee of three (Jerry, KW and Hahn) will have the right to fine him $100,000 for any controversial statements on Twitter or on radio or TV that they deem harmful. A second violation would be immediate dismissal. And he's also fined $100,000 if he ever makes the statement, "I'd tell you what I really think but I could get fined $100,000 if I do so." The only risk is that Ozzie will open his mouth in negative ways again. How many times did he truly get in trouble opening his mouth in his Chicago years? Not that many. Miami was the bad one.

I know he's probably blackballed by all owners and will never work in baseball again, but the White Sox are a different organization. Allegedly so loyal. If Renteria doesn't work out, why not forgive and bring Ozzie back?

Before you freak out and say I'm trolling or whtaever, remember Ozzie HAS BEEN in the news this week. Some stories have been written saying Detroit and NYY should hire him. Stephen A Smith called for Ozzie. It's not like I'm trying to cause trouble. Yes I worship Ozzie Guillen if that's the right word. Yes I want him back. And some of these articles give me a smidge of hope.

So in your minds ... would you accept Ozzie back?? Please answer. a.) Yes. b.) No. c.) No Bleeping Way. d.) Yes dammit of course!

If this topic angers you, sorry. But he is a part of Sox history and he's still young and available and talented.

:bang

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 29, 2017 -> 07:07 PM)
The only teams left are Philly and NY. So I guess, for now, its Philly or bust.

Unless the Phillies go another route, it looks like they have their choice between Mo, Larry and Curly ( Farrell, Girardi, Baker). Decisions decisions.

QUOTE (Quin @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
It was disgraceful when the Cubs did it, it'd be disgraceful if the Sox fire Ricky solely to hire Girardi. I think Ricky earned next season.

I disagree. He was average at best. If you have an opportunity to get a better manager, you do it.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Oct 30, 2017 -> 02:16 AM)
I disagree. He was average at best. If you have an opportunity to get a better manager, you do it.

And Girardi is available right now. My Ozzie love aside, this is a move they can make now if they wanted to. Give Girardi the reins to the rebuilt team. Hire Renteria as special assistant to whatever KW's title is. Why would you not want to give Girardi this young core??

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Oct 29, 2017 -> 11:54 PM)
Hmm. How about the fact that only 30 MLB manager positions exist in the world. Girardi currently does not hold one of them. The Sox have one. Seems like a reason to me.

There's the concept of opportunity cost. For a top manager like Girardi it would be significant. For bottom of the barrel guys like Ventura or Renteria there is no opportunity cost.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 10:18 PM)
I never thought the Sox were a laughingstock organization just cause the Sox are located in the great city of Chicago. Cmon. Harry Caray made Chicago his home for decades. Michael Jordan played in Chicago for many years. Gale Sayers. Walter Payton, Dick Butkus, Bobby Hull. Kane. All those Cubs like Williams, Banks and now Bryant. Sox had Bo Jackson come to town. Frank Thomas. Sox won it all in 2005. I don't think it'd be embarrassing at all for Girardi to move onto Chicago.

Sure he probably wouldn't do it, but I think it'd be because of the Kenny Williams factor. A true baseball man probably wants nothing to do with Kenny. Aside from that ... Chicago. Anybody's kind of town. Famous or not.

It's not the city, it's the team. We are literally the 2nd city's 2nd team. We've been forgotten more times that we've been remembered. All those other things that makes Chicago great like Jordan or the Bears or the Blackhawks or Harry have nothing to do with the Sox.

Well, Harry does but how many people outside of this fanbase even remember that he was an announcer for the Sox before the Cubs?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2017 -> 07:34 PM)

Ozzie was a fine manager besides his love of the bunt. If we did bring him back it

would probably take some of the pressure off our young players. Tell him to leave his stupid son in Miami tho.