Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 06:19 PM)
Lol, sure they do and wouldn't need to pull from their MLB roster. Michael Chavis would be a good headliner in a package for Abreu.

Maybe if they're also sending Groome+. They had a low OBP slugging 3B, it didn't work well.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 06:38 PM)
Maybe if they're also sending Groome+. They had a low OBP slugging 3B, it didn't work well.

Abreu is an average 1B, at best, with a good bat but not going to bring back 2 top 50 prospects so it's Groome or Chavis but not both. Chavis ++ is probably what were looking at.

Don't forget Devers was only 20 years old. Devers will improve as he matures and Boston knows it.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 07:49 PM)
Abreu is an average 1B, at best, with a good bat but not going to bring back 2 top 50 prospects so it's Groome or Chavis but not both. Chavis ++ is probably what were looking at.

Don't forget Devers was only 20 years old. Devers will improve as he matures and Boston knows it.

I have my doubts that Chavis or Groome would make a Top 50 at the moment, especially Groome after the season he had. Also, Abreu has had no seasons with a wRC+ below 120 and 1 season with a wRC+ below 130. The Red Sox are looking for a bat. They're not going to find many better than Abreu. If they're not sending Groome++ (with preferably one of the +s being better than Chavis), I'd rather keep Abreu.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 09:59 PM)
I have my doubts that Chavis or Groome would make a Top 50 at the moment, especially Groome after the season he had. Also, Abreu has had no seasons with a wRC+ below 120 and 1 season with a wRC+ below 130. The Red Sox are looking for a bat. They're not going to find many better than Abreu. If they're not sending Groome++ (with preferably one of the +s being better than Chavis), I'd rather keep Abreu.

Regardless of exactly the package it would take, that package can easily be put together solely from their system. Abreu isn't THAT valuable.

That being said, I'd rather keep Abreu and let him be a leader for our young latin surge of prospects.

My bad on Chavis, thought he was a top 50. Chavis had a good year for power while moving up a level so I'm thinking his ranking will move up in the top 100 and possibly pass Groome. Still think Chavis and Groome is a bit much but if Boston was willing to offer them both, I wouldn't object. Dombrowski is Boston's GM so ya never know, lol.

If Groome and Chavis were on the table for any of our veterans players, the deal would have been done last week. Chavis had a huge year and is young for his levels.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 09:48 AM)
I'd LOVE to bring in Trevor Rosenthal. I see he was just released. He would be the perfect reclamation project for Cooper. Former dominant closer, still at a good age

He's missing most of 2018 due to TJ surgery but I guess if you gave him a 1-year deal with a team option it could work. Royals have done that with a few guys the past few years where they let them rehab for a season and then they use them the following season.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
He's missing most of 2018 due to TJ surgery but I guess if you gave him a 1-year deal with a team option it could work. Royals have done that with a few guys the past few years where they let them rehab for a season and then they use them the following season.

It was at the end of August. Unless you got a deal for two years or a deal with options, it is pointless.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)
I cannot believe we have not heard more of Grandson to the White Sox to mentor the younger guys........bringing him home to Chicago....

Granderson is probably done. If he wants to be a mentor, sign him as a Coach.

PolishPrince Offseason Plan on Southside Sox.

I thought Rich Hahn did an outstanding job with majority of his moves except for one. Thought the Rutherford package was a little light with Kahnle and his 4 years of service time before hitting free agency. The key for 2018 is player development. Continue seeing progress with our positional players and arms in the system and keep maximum payroll flexibility for this coming year and for next winter years free agency bonanza . I envision the Sox having something like only $40 million in payroll commitments heading into 2019 and thus they could be major players in free agency.

Arbitration-eligible

Jose Abreu, $17.9M: Tender

Avisail Garcia, $6.7M: Tender

Yolmer Sanchez, $2.1M: Tender

Carlos Rodon, $2.0M: Tender

Danny Farquhar, $1.5M: Tender

Zach Putnam, $1.4M: Non-Tender

Leury Garcia, $1.2M: Tender

Jake Petricka, $1.1M: Non-tender

Al Alburquerque, $1.1M: Non-tender

Putnam is the toughest call. But he’s been hurt and his health has been in questioned for the past two plus years. With a bit of a 40 man roster crunch coming, no need to bring back Petricka/health, Putnam, and Alburquerque considering his age. Can see if Putnam wants to sign a minor league deal.

Impending free agents

Geovany Soto: Made $2 million in 2017: He gone

Mike Pelfrey: Made $8 million in 2017: He gone

Free agents

Sign Jake McGee, two year, $17 million/plus Option 3 year-9 million/$1 million buyout.

Jake McGee has been a solid reliever since 2011 and has done with one pitch: fastball. McGee fastball is still thrown 93% of the time and has held steady at 95.3 mph. He still shows great movement on the fastball which has been the key to his success. Health has been the issue the past couple years, but it’s been mostly with his legs. With such a young and inexperienced staff and a few more young guys on the way next year, having someone who can close out games and mentor would be a great addition. Also, McGee would be a hot commodity at the trade deadline. Year 1- $11 million Year 2- $6 million.

Sign Clay Buchholz, one year, $2.0 million incentives $3.0 million.

Clay hasn’t pitched well or stayed healthy the past couple years. He had surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon on his foreman back in April. Buchholz should be fully healthy and ready to go for Spring Training. Buchholz is a low risk signing that is worth gambling if he ever returns to his younger years in Boston. At 32 years, Buchholz is still young enough to take a gamble on signing him to a contract and trading him off at the deadline. This can be Coop’s project for 2018 season.

Sign Curtis Granderson, one year, $7 million.

White Sox sign the Chicago native for his veteran leadership to help with the youth movement on the Southside. Granderson 37 years old is a great guy in the clubhouse and in the community that could provide some veteran presence and also could be flipped in July to a contender, and he’d be able to split time between left, right, and DH. Granderson might be tough signing because he might want to play his final days with a contender. Eloy Jimenez is the only outfielder that will be called up next year and that will probably be in the middle of the summer. Sox make a smart investment to help with the mentoring of Jimenez, Moncada, and company.

Minor League Free Agent Deal

Drew Hutchinson/Starting Pitcher or possible addition to the bullpen

Trades

No. 1: Blake Swihart C/Boston Red Sox for Evan Skoug C/ Brian Michalczewski 3B. Boston is in a crunch with making moves on their 40 man roster and pull the plug with Swihart. White Sox gamble that Swihart is young and talented enough to bounce back to become an adequate big league catcher. Swihart is too talented and athletic at the catcher position and has just taken a longer time to show his 4 tools on the diamond. Red Sox get Skoug who has potential at the catcher position and is 3 years away from putting on the 4o man roster. Michalczewski gives them depth down in Triple A and still young enough to maybe figures things out.

Trade No. 2: Michael Feliz RP/Houston Astros for Franklin Reyes 1B and Danny Mendick

Houston Astros is another team that is having difficulty having too many players on their 4o man roster. Feliz is a high ceiling reliever with a chance of becoming of high leverage set up man or even closer. He throws 96.6 mph and has wicked slider. Feliz has a K/9 of 13.03. The big question with almost every young reliever is his command of the fastball BB/9 was 4.13. White Sox give up one of higher investments on the international fronts in Franklin Reyes. Reyes still years away from possibly making the big league club and Houston has the time to be patient with all the talent they have on the big league club and upper minors.

Trade No. 3: Dalton Pompey OF/Toronto Blue Jays for Luis Martinez SP and Eddie Alvarez UTM

Pompey missed almost the entire 2017 season due to a concussion. Not too long he was consider one the better lead off prospects in the minors. Pompey is still 24 years old and plays plus defense anywhere in the OF. He shows strong tools defensively, running the basepaths, and being able to make solid contact. Toronto throws in the flag and takes two fliers in Martinez who still shows potential, but most likely end up in the bullpen. Alvarez brings speed and versatility in the infield and provides some depth at the Triple A and major league ballclub.

Trade No. 4: Greg Allen OF/Cleveland Indians for Alex Call OF/ Brian Clark RP

Greg Allen has nowhere to play to play in Cleveland with the start of Bradley Zimmer’s career in CF. The organization also has a 40 man roster crunch and need to clear some spots for moves to be made this offseason. Allen is another high ceiling prospect who has some potential hitting at the lead off spot. Allen plays a plus defense in CF and is a deer on the base paths. Cleveland gives Call some more time to develop in the minors who can turn out as 2nd team division OF or 4th OF at best. Clark fills LHP need in their higher levels and in a case an injury occurs in the season. Hoping that the White Sox possibly find a lead off hitter in Allen or Pompey.

Trade No. 5: Aaron Blair SP for Tyler Danish RP and Joel Booker OF.

Atlanta is loaded with arms and Blair has fallen out of favor in the organization. White Sox gamble and hope Blair can settle in the back of the rotation or become a useful reliever out of the bullpen. Blair fastball and K/9 has regressed the past year, but still possess 3 average pitches to the table: Fastball, curveball, and changeup. Danish gives Atlanta a possible arm in the bullpen and Booker shows tools where he can possibly become a 4th OF on a major league ballclub.

Trade No. 6: Ryan McMahon 3B/1B for Carson Fulmer SP/RP , Adam Engel OF , and Tyler Saladino UTM

McMahon who struggled in 2016 had a nice bounceback year to further his development. McMahon has the hands and arm to play an average 3B, but footwork have been an issue in the past. Very similar to what Davidson/Burger bring to the table. His best position is 1B and can be a suitable replacement for Abreu when it’s time to deal him at the trade deadline. McMahon has very good power and will draw enough walks to have an OBP in +.350 range. Rockies need pitching in the backend of the bullpen and Fulmer is an ideal fit. Fulmer has no chance to being a successful starting pitcher with the lack of fastball command and 3rd pitch. Engel and Saladino provide more infield and outfield depth on the major league ballclub or Triple A team. Engel provides plus defense, but his mechanics as a hitter will always make him a question mark.

Contracts the Sox could take on and consider down the road to gather better prospects in a deal.

Jacoby Ellsbury, Hanley Ramirez, Samardzija , Choo, Zobrist, Kazmir, McCarthy, A. Gonzalez

Summary

I envision the Sox to continue making moves and hoping to hit on some prospects who have lost some luster with their previous organizations. I think there is a strong possibility of Abreu and Avi Garcia being moved at the trade deadline. The Sox hope is for Avi Garcia to continue developing as a hitter and pawn him off on team for prospects or even taking on a bad contract to stockpile the farm system. The Sox payroll would be around $77 million under this plan.

Position Players

C: Swihart

1B: Abreu

2nd: Moncada

3rd: McMahon

SS: Anderson

LF: Delmonico

CF: G. Allen

RF: A. Garcia

DH: Davidson/Granderson

Bench: Pompey, Y. Sanchez, L. Garcia, Narvaez

Rotation:

1. Shields

2. Giolito

3. Lopez

4. Buchholz

5. Blair (Rodon starting the year on the DL

Bullpen:

1. McGee

2. Feliz

3. Minaya

4. Bummer

5. Hutchinson (Jones starting the year on the DL)

6. Fry

7. Farquhar

Waiting in the wings for the 2018 season : Kopech, S. Adams, Hansen, Stephens, Guererro

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 07:49 PM)

Jose Abreu finished with the 6th highest WAR among 1B at 4.1. I would count on him being a 3 WAR player moving forward, but he is an above average first basemen. That does not mean he necessarily has a ton of value, but the dude is still a great hitter.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)
Jose Abreu finished with the 6th highest WAR among 1B at 4.1. I would count on him being a 3 WAR player moving forward, but he is an above average first basemen. That does not mean he necessarily has a ton of value, but the dude is still a great hitter.

Using Boston as an example for a trade partner. What would be a realistic asking price for Abreu? Just trying to get an idea since its possible the Sox do trade Abreu this winter.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)

I thought Rich Hahn did an outstanding job with majority of his moves except for one. Thought the Rutherford package was a little light with Kahnle and his 4 years of service time before hitting free agency.

Yea, thought it light, too. Should have split those guys up.

Anyway, like the thoroughness of your plan, and the intent of your trades - young player for young player. Like some of your moves more than others (I wouldn't give anything of value for Swithart, e.g.)

I think we need more pitching that most people do.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 07:17 PM)
Yea, thought it light, too. Should have split those guys up.

Anyway, like the thoroughness of your plan, and the intent of your trades - young player for young player. Like some of your moves more than others (I wouldn't give anything of value for Swithart, e.g.)

I think we need more pitching that most people do.

It was a Florial or Andjuar away from being a fine deal. For the first time, Hahn sacrificed talent to dump salary. Frazier had no value and Robertson had little surplus value. Both turned out well for Yankees who did very well in that trade.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 10:07 PM)
It was a Florial or Andjuar away from being a fine deal. For the first time, Hahn sacrificed talent to dump salary. Frazier had no value and Robertson had little surplus value. Both turned out well for Yankees who did very well in that trade.

Yeah, I just think Clarkin was a pretty weak second piece. I know he was a pretty high pick a few years back, but I’m really not optimistic about him staying healthy or ever amounting to much of anything. We should have been able to do better IMO. I think it’s pretty clear that our front office felt it was better to use all their secondary pieces to land that one last blue chipper in Rutherford than moving guys piecemeal & bringing in a couple second tier prospects.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 11:33 PM)
Yeah, I just think Clarkin was a pretty weak second piece. I know he was a pretty high pick a few years back, but I’m really not optimistic about him staying healthy or ever amounting to much of anything. We should have been able to do better IMO. I think it’s pretty clear that our front office felt it was better to use all their secondary pieces to land that one last blue chipper in Rutherford than moving guys piecemeal & bringing in a couple second tier prospects.

This is my take on it as well. Give me the blue chipper everyday, and with the previous trades Hahn had done pretty well that I can see why he was okay making the gamble on landing Rutherford.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 03:05 PM)

I thought Rich Hahn did an outstanding job with majority of his moves except for one. Thought the Rutherford package was a little light with Kahnle and his 4 years of service time before hitting free agency. The key for 2018 is player development. Continue seeing progress with our positional players and arms in the system and keep maximum payroll flexibility for this coming year and for next winter years free agency bonanza . I envision the Sox having something like only $40 million in payroll commitments heading into 2019 and thus they could be major players in free agency.

Arbitration-eligible

Jose Abreu, $17.9M: Tender

Avisail Garcia, $6.7M: Tender

Yolmer Sanchez, $2.1M: Tender

Carlos Rodon, $2.0M: Tender

Danny Farquhar, $1.5M: Tender

Zach Putnam, $1.4M: Non-Tender

Leury Garcia, $1.2M: Tender

Jake Petricka, $1.1M: Non-tender

Al Alburquerque, $1.1M: Non-tender

Putnam is the toughest call. But he’s been hurt and his health has been in questioned for the past two plus years. With a bit of a 40 man roster crunch coming, no need to bring back Petricka/health, Putnam, and Alburquerque considering his age. Can see if Putnam wants to sign a minor league deal.

Impending free agents

Geovany Soto: Made $2 million in 2017: He gone

Mike Pelfrey: Made $8 million in 2017: He gone

Free agents

Sign Jake McGee, two year, $17 million/plus Option 3 year-9 million/$1 million buyout.

Jake McGee has been a solid reliever since 2011 and has done with one pitch: fastball. McGee fastball is still thrown 93% of the time and has held steady at 95.3 mph. He still shows great movement on the fastball which has been the key to his success. Health has been the issue the past couple years, but it’s been mostly with his legs. With such a young and inexperienced staff and a few more young guys on the way next year, having someone who can close out games and mentor would be a great addition. Also, McGee would be a hot commodity at the trade deadline. Year 1- $11 million Year 2- $6 million.

Sign Clay Buchholz, one year, $2.0 million incentives $3.0 million.

Clay hasn’t pitched well or stayed healthy the past couple years. He had surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon on his foreman back in April. Buchholz should be fully healthy and ready to go for Spring Training. Buchholz is a low risk signing that is worth gambling if he ever returns to his younger years in Boston. At 32 years, Buchholz is still young enough to take a gamble on signing him to a contract and trading him off at the deadline. This can be Coop’s project for 2018 season.

Sign Curtis Granderson, one year, $7 million.

White Sox sign the Chicago native for his veteran leadership to help with the youth movement on the Southside. Granderson 37 years old is a great guy in the clubhouse and in the community that could provide some veteran presence and also could be flipped in July to a contender, and he’d be able to split time between left, right, and DH. Granderson might be tough signing because he might want to play his final days with a contender. Eloy Jimenez is the only outfielder that will be called up next year and that will probably be in the middle of the summer. Sox make a smart investment to help with the mentoring of Jimenez, Moncada, and company.

Minor League Free Agent Deal

Drew Hutchinson/Starting Pitcher or possible addition to the bullpen

Trades

No. 1: Blake Swihart C/Boston Red Sox for Evan Skoug C/ Brian Michalczewski 3B. Boston is in a crunch with making moves on their 40 man roster and pull the plug with Swihart. White Sox gamble that Swihart is young and talented enough to bounce back to become an adequate big league catcher. Swihart is too talented and athletic at the catcher position and has just taken a longer time to show his 4 tools on the diamond. Red Sox get Skoug who has potential at the catcher position and is 3 years away from putting on the 4o man roster. Michalczewski gives them depth down in Triple A and still young enough to maybe figures things out.

Trade No. 2: Michael Feliz RP/Houston Astros for Franklin Reyes 1B and Danny Mendick

Houston Astros is another team that is having difficulty having too many players on their 4o man roster. Feliz is a high ceiling reliever with a chance of becoming of high leverage set up man or even closer. He throws 96.6 mph and has wicked slider. Feliz has a K/9 of 13.03. The big question with almost every young reliever is his command of the fastball BB/9 was 4.13. White Sox give up one of higher investments on the international fronts in Franklin Reyes. Reyes still years away from possibly making the big league club and Houston has the time to be patient with all the talent they have on the big league club and upper minors.

Trade No. 3: Dalton Pompey OF/Toronto Blue Jays for Luis Martinez SP and Eddie Alvarez UTM

Pompey missed almost the entire 2017 season due to a concussion. Not too long he was consider one the better lead off prospects in the minors. Pompey is still 24 years old and plays plus defense anywhere in the OF. He shows strong tools defensively, running the basepaths, and being able to make solid contact. Toronto throws in the flag and takes two fliers in Martinez who still shows potential, but most likely end up in the bullpen. Alvarez brings speed and versatility in the infield and provides some depth at the Triple A and major league ballclub.

Trade No. 4: Greg Allen OF/Cleveland Indians for Alex Call OF/ Brian Clark RP

Greg Allen has nowhere to play to play in Cleveland with the start of Bradley Zimmer’s career in CF. The organization also has a 40 man roster crunch and need to clear some spots for moves to be made this offseason. Allen is another high ceiling prospect who has some potential hitting at the lead off spot. Allen plays a plus defense in CF and is a deer on the base paths. Cleveland gives Call some more time to develop in the minors who can turn out as 2nd team division OF or 4th OF at best. Clark fills LHP need in their higher levels and in a case an injury occurs in the season. Hoping that the White Sox possibly find a lead off hitter in Allen or Pompey.

Trade No. 5: Aaron Blair SP for Tyler Danish RP and Joel Booker OF.

Atlanta is loaded with arms and Blair has fallen out of favor in the organization. White Sox gamble and hope Blair can settle in the back of the rotation or become a useful reliever out of the bullpen. Blair fastball and K/9 has regressed the past year, but still possess 3 average pitches to the table: Fastball, curveball, and changeup. Danish gives Atlanta a possible arm in the bullpen and Booker shows tools where he can possibly become a 4th OF on a major league ballclub.

Trade No. 6: Ryan McMahon 3B/1B for Carson Fulmer SP/RP , Adam Engel OF , and Tyler Saladino UTM

McMahon who struggled in 2016 had a nice bounceback year to further his development. McMahon has the hands and arm to play an average 3B, but footwork have been an issue in the past. Very similar to what Davidson/Burger bring to the table. His best position is 1B and can be a suitable replacement for Abreu when it’s time to deal him at the trade deadline. McMahon has very good power and will draw enough walks to have an OBP in +.350 range. Rockies need pitching in the backend of the bullpen and Fulmer is an ideal fit. Fulmer has no chance to being a successful starting pitcher with the lack of fastball command and 3rd pitch. Engel and Saladino provide more infield and outfield depth on the major league ballclub or Triple A team. Engel provides plus defense, but his mechanics as a hitter will always make him a question mark.

Contracts the Sox could take on and consider down the road to gather better prospects in a deal.

Jacoby Ellsbury, Hanley Ramirez, Samardzija , Choo, Zobrist, Kazmir, McCarthy, A. Gonzalez

Summary

I envision the Sox to continue making moves and hoping to hit on some prospects who have lost some luster with their previous organizations. I think there is a strong possibility of Abreu and Avi Garcia being moved at the trade deadline. The Sox hope is for Avi Garcia to continue developing as a hitter and pawn him off on team for prospects or even taking on a bad contract to stockpile the farm system. The Sox payroll would be around $77 million under this plan.

Position Players

C: Swihart

1B: Abreu

2nd: Moncada

3rd: McMahon

SS: Anderson

LF: Delmonico

CF: G. Allen

RF: A. Garcia

DH: Davidson/Granderson

Bench: Pompey, Y. Sanchez, L. Garcia, Narvaez

Rotation:

1. Shields

2. Giolito

3. Lopez

4. Buchholz

5. Blair (Rodon starting the year on the DL

Bullpen:

1. McGee

2. Feliz

3. Minaya

4. Bummer

5. Hutchinson (Jones starting the year on the DL)

6. Fry

7. Farquhar

Waiting in the wings for the 2018 season : Kopech, S. Adams, Hansen, Stephens, Guererro

No way that trade happens, as Mcmahon is the most valuable piece in that deal by a considerable margin

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 12:33 AM)

I'm just not convinced Rutherford is really a blue chipper. Obviously hope I am wrong there.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 10:48 AM)
I'm just not convinced Rutherford is really a blue chipper. Obviously hope I am wrong there.

Yeah I'd feel good about the deal if Rutherford was actually performing like a blue chipper, but at the moment he's still pretty much all projection instead of results.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
Yeah I'd feel good about the deal if Rutherford was actually performing like a blue chipper, but at the moment he's still pretty much all projection instead of results.

I'll cut Rutherford some slack because he is still young, but he will have to show solid progress in 2018 for the deal to not be viewed purely as dumping $20 million of Robertson's salary.

I still think a huge motivation for that deal was to trim salary to help offset the Luis Robert signing rather than to get the best possible return

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
I'll cut Rutherford some slack because he is still young, but he will have to show solid progress in 2018 for the deal to not be viewed purely as dumping $20 million of Robertson's salary.

I still think a huge motivation for that deal was to trim salary to help offset the Luis Robert signing rather than to get the best possible return

I don't think so. I think they are really high on Rutherford. Hopefully he develops. I don't think anyone is holding their breath. He looks the part, just doesn't hit the part, at least yet.

He seems to be the offensive version of a 6'5" 240 lb. pitcher who throws 88.

Edited by Dick Allen