Another mass shooting, church in Texas

StrangeSox

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
The building where I work is a gun free zone. I might have to tell my boss I cannot work under these conditions. The building is a killing zone.

i would hope they have some sort of security for you.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)
If it won't have a real impact, why do it? Just doing something for the sake of doing something is crap and usually ends up making things worse for everyone else. You are then just virtue signalling.

Doing nothing definitely does nothing. Titling firearms like cars won't stop all mass shootings, but it would absolutely make it easier to track the private sale market. Eliminating bump stocks won't stop all mass shootings, but it might make a subsequent mass shooting less deadly. Again, one side of the aisle wants to do nothing because any firearm regulation is a precursor to taking everybody's guns. Also, it's mental health issues that are to blame. But let's not make it easier for people to access mental health diagnoses or treatment. Oh and if they are diagnosed with a mental health issue that prevents them from legally purchasing firearms in the future, we definitely shouldn't try to divest them of ownership of their previously purchased firearms....

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 01:11 PM)
Your first paragraph is so true and shows everything that's wrong with this country. When there is a mass shooting, one side of the country can't jump on their pedestal quick enough and gloat about their stances on guns. But when an Islamic terrorist attack occurs, they are quiet and the other side of the country can't stop screaming "close the borders!!". Everything gets so politicized, it really seems some people are happy when these events occur.

Interesting post.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 01:13 PM)
Not surprising that Rush misses the point on something.

It’s finny Greg keeps quoting him as if he has any credibility.

He has a lot of listeners and stations and advertisers. He has some clout. Not like I'm listening to some guy on youtube with 10,000 listeners.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)
Tis correct.

Also, my POV on Greg's opinions never fails. What radio station you gonna listen to today?

What's wrong with listening to different takes on radio when driving?

I continue to be amazed at the cliche-ness of our country. If there's a hurricane we risk our lives to save people and keep on helping helping helping. When there's a mass shooting we take sides and help nobody, just offend the families of the victims. We look for no solutions. Show no compassion. I don't get it.

Read this story and picture yourself in the church. Even if you are not a believer let's say you were there for a relative's kid's baptism or something. How could some guy shoot little kids like this and stalk each pew and keep killing people? And yet we care about the hurricane victims but don't care about this enough to do something about it??

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/07/us/texas-chu...cene/index.html

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
Interesting post.

He has a lot of listeners and stations and advertisers. He has some clout. Not like I'm listening to some guy on youtube with 10,000 listeners.

What's wrong with listening to different takes on radio when driving?

I continue to be amazed at the cliche-ness of our country. If there's a hurricane we risk our lives to save people and keep on helping helping helping. When there's a mass shooting we take sides and help nobody, just offend the families of the victims. We look for no solutions. Show no compassion. I don't get it.

Everyone just sits back and waits for the identity of the shooter. Half of the country hopes its a straight white male, the other half hopes it's a Muslim. Then I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)

When I said he misses the point, I meant that people aren't criticizing politicians for offering "thoughts and prayers", they are criticizing them because that is all they ever do and doesn't help anything. Rush is too close minded to see the big picture. Or he's on ludes.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 12:56 PM)
When I said he misses the point, I meant that people aren't criticizing politicians for offering "thoughts and prayers", they are criticizing them because that is all they ever do and doesn't help anything. Rush is too close minded to see the big picture. Or he's on ludes.

He knows what he's doing. He's made many millions doing it, and as awful as it is, he's very skilled at it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 06:56 PM)

OK, that's a decent point IMO.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
Everyone just sits back and waits for the identity of the shooter. Half of the country hopes its a straight white male, the other half hopes it's a Muslim. Then I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!

Politics at its best.

The attitude that making getting a gun tougher won't change anything is BS. There will still be mass shootings. The wrong people will still have guns, but even if it prevents only one of these, it's well worth the time and effort getting it done. Who knows, the next one may victimize someone you know. The NRA should not be in charge of US gun policy.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 10:54 AM)

In one of these scenarios, nothing takes place to mitigate the risk. Pretty mind-boggling.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
In one of these scenarios, nothing takes place to mitigate the risk. Pretty mind-boggling.

If it's a white guy, the left calls for gun control. The right blames mental health and pretends it's a non-issue.

If it's a Muslim, the left calls for gun control. The right starts blowing their racist dog whistle.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 02:13 PM)
The attitude that making getting a gun tougher won't change anything is BS. There will still be mass shootings. The wrong people will still have guns, but even if it prevents only one of these, it's well worth the time and effort getting it done. Who knows, the next one may victimize someone you know. The NRA should not be in charge of US gun policy.

It makes it harder to get, more expensive and hopefully more easily tracked. As long as we make it harder, much harder to get weapons that can be used in mass killings, it will reduce the risk of more of them.

QUOTE (Quin @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
If it's a white guy, the left calls for gun control. The right blames mental health and pretends it's a non-issue.

If it's a Muslim, the left calls for gun control. The right starts blowing their racist dog whistle.

I agree with this 100%. If a Muslim shoots up a nightclub, the right doesn't question how he got the cache to pull it off. It's all about why was he let in. If he's white, he's a deranged individual. s*** happens. Thoughts and prayers.

QUOTE (Quin @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 09:26 PM)

Meanwhile, if there's a hurricane we all help each other. All races, all religions, no questions asked. Total assistance. Very weird non sequitirs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
Meanwhile, if there's a hurricane we all help each other. All races, all religions, no questions asked. Total assistance. Very weird non sequitirs.

You should check out Puerto Rico

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)

This is a kind of weird post. In the aftermath of mass shootings, lots of stories come out about people helping one another during the shooting - take a look at all the blood that was donated in the Vegas aftermath. The difference is obvious - people's homes are destroyed by hurricanes. The flooding can last for days. In PR, the power outages have lasted for weeks, if not months. So the responses linger. They are completely different events, and the responses to those in immediate risk are pretty similar.

The disconnect with mass shootings is what do you do about them. The Republicans tend to send out their thoughts and prayers, but not do anything on a policy level. The Democrats tend to push for greater gun control, but can't get anything done.

ETA: And obviously, as previously pointed out, the response to Puerto Rico was not "no questions asked. Total assistance."

Edited by illinilaw08

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 12:44 PM)
You should check out Puerto Rico

How could he possibly know what's going on in Puerto Rico? The last time Rush or Hannity mentioned Puerto Rico was probably the last time there was a beauty pageant there.

Edited by BigSqwert