2018 Hall of Fame ballots out today.

southsider2k5

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thome only behind Bomds, McGwire, Ruth and Giancarlo in HR %. Higher OBP than Rickey Henderson. All time leader in walk off HR. Same amount of postseason HR as Big Papi in 102 less plate appearances. Did it clean. He is more than worth. Very deserving.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 06:24 PM)
Thome only behind Bomds, McGwire, Ruth and Giancarlo in HR %. Higher OBP than Rickey Henderson. All time leader in walk off HR. Same amount of postseason HR as Big Papi in 102 less plate appearances. Did it clean. He is more than worth. Very deserving.

No doubt. No one more deserving.

This is craaaazy to me

Vladimir Guerrero is the first position player from the Dominican Republic to be elected into the Hall of Fame, but he knows plenty more are on their way with David Ortiz, Adrian Beltre and Albert Pujols

-Bob Nightengale in twitter

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 06:24 PM)

Impressive considering he's the least clutch player in MLB history.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 12:06 AM)
https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/955299343895969792

Looks like Edgar is a borderline call this year. He'll get in next year if not Wednesday.

It'll be interesting to see if Johan Santana and Andruw Jones fall off the ballot, which I have no problem with.

Santana and Jones are both significantly better than Vizquel who is inexplicably getting a lot of support.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 08:45 PM)
Santana and Jones are both significantly better than Vizquel who is inexplicably getting a lot of support.

Johan Santana was the best pitcher in the game for a 5 to 7-year period. I think he's a Hall of Famer and it's criminal that he's off the ballot already.

Jayson Stark‏Verified account @jaysonst 14m14 minutes ago Jamie Moyer may not have made it to a second HOF ballot, but he did make history. His 269 wins are the most ever by a one-and-done candidate. Previous record-holders: Dennis Martinez (245), who broke a mark previously held by Frank Tanana (240.

Taylor Blake Ward‏ @TaylorBlakeWard 20h20 hours ago - Chipper Jones, a first overall pick - Vladimir Guerrero, a kid who showed up to a tryout in unmatching cleats - Jim Thome, a 13th rounder from a no-name school - Trevor Hoffman, a failed shortstop prospect turned reliever Hall of Famers, 2018

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 08:53 PM)
Johan Santana was the best pitcher in the game for a 5 to 7-year period. I think he's a Hall of Famer and it's criminal that he's off the ballot already.

I can’t argue with him getting less than 5 percent based on the rest of the ballot and who is still on there, but the system should change in some way to give guys a longer look.

As time goes on, players that debuted after 1997 will be evaluated much differently than the previous 15 years, so Santana may have been an oversight.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 08:53 PM)

I think his time was just too short. He only pitched over 160 innings or so for 5 seasons. He was only a full time starter for 8 seasons.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 25, 2018 -> 02:07 PM)
I think his time was just too short. He only pitched over 160 innings or so for 5 seasons. He was only a full time starter for 8 seasons.

As time goes on, the Hall will be more about peak than longevity. An argument can be made Santana deserved the Cy in 2005, and if he had 3 straight Cy’s would he still be on the ballot? Yes.

Rivera, Martinez and Mussina next year.

Schilling’s politics are dooming his candidacy, unless there’s another reason to explain Muslims continuing to rise and Schilling going backwards when Schilling perhaps holds a slight advantage when stacked up side to side.

A lot of people can’t understand why Rolen is getting much less support than Vizquel...as Rolen was clearly the better overall player during peak years.

Edited by caulfield12

Next year’s ballot, I would instantly pick Bonds, Clemens, Schilling, Mussina, Rivera, and Halladay.

I’ve always been a McGriff guy, and even though I’ve never been an Edgar guy, I’d vote for both in the last year.

Final two picks, I might be coming around on Rolen and Kent, but Helton has a strong case.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 25, 2018 -> 03:14 PM)
Next year’s ballot, I would instantly pick Bonds, Clemens, Schilling, Mussina, Rivera, and Halladay.

I’ve always been a McGriff guy, and even though I’ve never been an Edgar guy, I’d vote for both in the last year.

Final two picks, I might be coming around on Rolen and Kent, but Helton has a strong case.

Just curious, if you think Helton has a strong case then why not also consider Walker? He was better than Helton.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 25, 2018 -> 03:35 PM)
Just curious, if you think Helton has a strong case then why not also consider Walker? He was better than Helton.

I like the 10 yr peak of Helton’s career, where he played consistently. Walker’s incomplete seasons bother me. And yes, I get he’s better, but when you’re not on the field, you’re not helping the team. That’s also what bothers me about Rolen, but being a 3b, I’m starting to realize he’s one of the best 3b of his era- and top 10-15 of all time.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 11:16 AM)
Hard to believe that his arm was only rated 5/7.

He was only 18 then, he improved.

Kinda like Micker Adolfo. He’s 21 now, and we’re only now hearing how great his throwing arm is. Probably always above average, but getting better.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 25, 2018 -> 03:09 PM)
A lot of people can’t understand why Rolen is getting much less support than Vizquel...as Rolen was clearly the better overall player during peak years.

Not disputing you and I'm sure you read much more than I do but this is literally the only post, article, or passing comment where I have heard that.