The Avi Thread

hi8is

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 07:22 AM)
I don't know but how many times do I have to read about WAR being the be all, end all to a players value?

I don't get the dismay with Garcia. I've seen people wanting Delmonico playing rather than Avi. That's just wrong. Delmonico will never approach a year like Garcia just had and is not near the plyer.

I heard Carlos Pena last night talking about Ozuna and how teams need to let players develop because he was sent down to the minors a couple years ago, made adjustments, and now is the most coveted available trade chip out there.

I also heard a GM, think it was Shapiro, talking about a prospect comparing to a current player on their roster. He mentioned how the prospect was in the minors, while at the same age, the other guy was already in the league. Everybody is high on Eloy, and rightfully so, but at his age in high A and AA, Avi was already playing in the bigs. Now that Avi seems to have figured things out.....trade him. Makes zero sense to me.

Not surprising it doesn't make sense to you..

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 07:22 AM)
I don't know but how many times do I have to read about WAR being the be all, end all to a players value?

I don't get the dismay with Garcia. I've seen people wanting Delmonico playing rather than Avi. That's just wrong. Delmonico will never approach a year like Garcia just had and is not near the plyer.

I heard Carlos Pena last night talking about Ozuna and how teams need to let players develop because he was sent down to the minors a couple years ago, made adjustments, and now is the most coveted available trade chip out there.

I also heard a GM, think it was Shapiro, talking about a prospect comparing to a current player on their roster. He mentioned how the prospect was in the minors, while at the same age, the other guy was already in the league. Everybody is high on Eloy, and rightfully so, but at his age in high A and AA, Avi was already playing in the bigs. Now that Avi seems to have figured things out.....trade him. Makes zero sense to me.

WAR isn’t the end-all-be-all, but completely ignoring is far worse. The same applies to all advanced metrics and the key is to take both what the numbers say on the page and what you see from watching the player actually play to put together a thorough evaluation. Unfortunately, what happens more often than not is people simply stat scout (I’m guilty of this myself at times) and ignore issues/outliers with certain stats. Having said all that, you’re much better stat scouting with advanced metrics than tradional ones. Based on your tone, I have feeling you’re of the tradional variety and think Avi is the bees’ knees because of his batting average & RBIs. And while those stats tell you some things, without looking at advanced metrics you’ll be missing a large part of the story.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
Great post. There's definitely a different standard regarding current Sox players versus players on other teams. Avi's great season means nothing to many Sox fans on here. They need to see him do it again and again. Wait, Abreu has done it every year he's been a Sox and he's still not considered untouchable by fans.

Greg, stop trolling. Literally no one has said that Avisail's season meant nothing. We are tempering our expectations based on evidence that suggests this was somewhat fluky.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
Giants lost out on Ozuna, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them go for Avi now.

Not much in the SF farm that the Sox would want though. Arroyo? Ramos? Beyond them their system is scary thin on talent. Jordan Gonzalez?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
I have a feeling a team isn't going to need to overpay for Garcia or anything.

Perhaps, but I would not just trade Avi for the sake of trading him. If he is having a good season he could be dealt at the deadline?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 02:30 PM)
Ramos + Anderson + Williams?

Sox would have to really like Ramos to make that deal though

I'd probably want a better 2nd piece. I don't know a ton about the Giants system but Kelvin Beltre looks like an interesting guy as a backend of deal filler.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)
Aren't the Giants linked to Cain and Bruce as well as McCutchen? I kinda doubt they would be interested in Avi.

And have made an offer to the Reds for Hamilton apparently. They could potentially pull off a deal for Hamilton and sign Cain for RF and greatly improve the defense in the outfield.

Dan Szymborski of Fangraphs seems to think Avi will return to being a below replacement level player. If that is the industry-wide view, it seems the most the Sox would get for him is a bag of heavily used baseballs.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/winter-meet...ive-blog-day-3/

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 03:00 PM)
And have made an offer to the Reds for Hamilton apparently. They could potentially pull off a deal for Hamilton and sign Cain for RF and greatly improve the defense in the outfield.

That would be a very smart plan. All of the NLW ballparks are huge so defense goes a long way.

I didn't see that as Dan saying he'll be below replacement level, just that he thinks Sox fans will expect a repeat of last year (although most of us don't). Steamer has him as a roughly league average player and I don't see his ZIPS projection as being much worse than that.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 03:08 PM)
I didn't see that as Dan saying he'll be below replacement level, just that he thinks Sox fans will expect a repeat of last year (although most of us don't). Steamer has him as a roughly league average player and I don't see his ZIPS projection as being much worse than that.

Well I expect him to be Melky Cabrera from 2017, at best, so if much worse than that, then he would be below replacement level at that point given that Melky had a 0 fWAR last season, lol.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
Dan Szymborski of Fangraphs seems to think Avi will return to being a below replacement level player. If that is the industry-wide view, it seems the most the Sox would get for him is a bag of heavily used baseballs.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/winter-meet...ive-blog-day-3/

Not trying to be argumentative, but am curious as to how often those projections are close to being accurate?

There is such a wide disparity about expectations for Avi, going forward. Wouldn't it be interesting to conduct a poll, in which everyone could offer their own projections, regarding what kind of year they expect Avi to have? Irrespective of whether, or not, he's traded, I'd just love to see how close some of us might end up being. Maybe more interesting; how far off some of us might be.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 04:58 PM)
There is such a wide disparity about expectations for Avi, going forward. Wouldn't it be interesting to conduct a poll, in which everyone could offer their own projections, regarding what kind of year they expect Avi to have? Irrespective of whether, or not, he's traded, I'd just love to see how close some of us might end up being. Maybe more interesting; how far off some of us might be.

While nobody expects Avi to put up a repeat of 2017, you do not end up batting .330 over an entire season strictly by luck. Sure that average is inflated a bit, but he still showed improvement at the plate.

Avi absolutely murdered lefties batting .424 against them, albeit with over a .500 BABIP.

It's not absurd to think he could be a .290+ hitter with 15-20 home runs next season, which is still a solid player