The Avi Thread

hi8is

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 06:14 PM)
Sierra one of the other pieces in the Ozuna deal. Still not a great return IMO, but better than it initially sounded.

Yeah, considering that was worse than what I thought were reasonable deals for Avi, this would be a less than exciting return for a superior player. That said, they are good prospects.

The problem for Hahn is the market is flooded with outfielders. I mean the Marlins just moved Ozuna. They look like they will move Yelich. Yankies are talking about moving Frazier and are likely moving either Gardner or Ellsbury.

You have Cain, Bruce, JD Martinez and Cargo as free agents. You also have lesser bounce back guys like Gomez, Ethier, Bautista, Granderson, and Maybin.

Hard to see there being much of a market right now. I mean you can go out and sign a bounce back guy for about the same cost I think Garcia is a guy if you do move you do so midseason when these teams start to realize some of these players aren't going to contribute for them and also Garcia would also at that point have more data where teams would feel comfortable giving up prospects.

Really the only team that sort of has to desperately make a move is SF. Their OF is awful.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 05:58 PM)
luck and better defense and running. Avi improved, but he improved into a 2 WAR starter. Not a 4 WAR star. There is like .0000001 chance he has a .397 BABIP next year. Regress that down to a still high .340 and suddenly he's a 2 WAR RF with a 270/330/450 line.

I don't know man . I mean I agree with the better defense and improved speed/running and with some degree of luck hitting too. But .330 ? Why did all the luck all of a sudden show up in 1 season ? IF you want to say he was a lucky hitter so be it, but if you are going to do that then maybe say luck was half of it and the other half was he actually improved as a hitter because he finally decided to become serious about conditioning and quite possibly matured as a hitter . Even the flawed process improved . Maybe didn't show up in walk totals but he hit lot better within the strike zone and his K's decreased so he obviously did a lot right.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:07 AM)
I don't know man . I mean I agree with the better defense and improved speed/running and with some degree of luck hitting too. But .330 ? Why did all the luck all of a sudden show up in 1 season ? IF you want to say he was a lucky hitter so be it, but if you are going to do that then maybe say luck was half of it and the other half was he actually improved as a hitter because he finally decided to become serious about conditioning and quite possibly matured as a hitter . Even the flawed process improved . Maybe didn't show up in walk totals but he hit lot better within the strike zone and his K's decreased so he obviously did a lot right.

I'm not against keeping Avi but definitely wait to sign him until end of next season. Not a believer yet. Hope he proves me wrong.

If he doesn't fit into the team's plans he won't be hard to trade then either. I'd only sell high this offseason if we aren't giving him away for whatever we can get.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:22 PM)
Bob Nightengale @BNightengale

13s

The #SFGiants and #Bluejays have talked to the #Whitesox about acquiring outfielder Avisail Garcia, but nothing close

If the Sox were actually trying to acquire MM, trading assets Avi and Abreu makes no sense. Not signing any decent relievers makes no sense. You trade for one of the stars of the game on a 1 year deal, you may as well try make the team around him a contender.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
If the Sox were actually trying to acquire MM, trading assets Avi and Abreu makes no sense. Not signing any decent relievers makes no sense. You trade for one of the stars of the game on a 1 year deal, you may as well try make the team around him a contender.

Then we get stuck at the same place we were for the past 10 years.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
Bob Nightengale @BNightengale

13s

The #SFGiants and #Bluejays have talked to the #Whitesox about acquiring outfielder Avisail Garcia, but nothing close

Interesting the thing about the Giants is they really have no depth interm of prospects and the guys at the top are barely or just outside of the top 100. So for a guy like Garcia their offer could actually be the best. Something along the lines of Arroyo + Suarez or Beede + Suarez + Rodolfo

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)
Bichette is a top 35-50 prospect in baseball. No chance Avi has that type of value.

To be fair, wasn't Avi in roughly that same prospect range ( #48 if I recall ) when we acquired him for Jake Peavy?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
To be fair, wasn't Avi in roughly that same prospect range ( #48 if I recall ) when we acquired him for Jake Peavy?

Yeah. Toronto isn't trading Bichette for him now though. They can use Bichette to get a much bigger fish than Avisail Garcia