Contract Tender Deadline is Friday

Y2Jimmy0

I didn't understand the 40 man roster management weeks ago, and after today's cuts, still perplexed.

Re Adams, the Sox really don't need him as a bridge because they have multiple corner OF/IF try-out candidates on the roster that they have to make a decision on in the next year or so,, who need either play 1B or could be moved there and/or take some reps at DH: Davidson, Gillaspie, Palka, Cordell

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 07:53 AM)
I didn't understand the 40 man roster management weeks ago, and after today's cuts, still perplexed.

Re Adams, the Sox really don't need him as a bridge because they have multiple corner OF/IF try-out candidates on the roster that they have to make a decision on in the next year or so,, who need either play 1B or could be moved there and/or take some reps at DH: Davidson, Gillaspie, Palka, Cordell

I have been thinking about this as well and it all come down to the fact that the White Sox can only lose one player in the Rule 5 so it is not like the team is going to be decimated. Further, they need some spots on the 40 man to field a major league team in 2018 so some flexibility was needed there as well. There has to be more free agent signings coming.........

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 08:28 AM)
I have been thinking about this as well and it all come down to the fact that the White Sox can only lose one player in the Rule 5 so it is not like the team is going to be decimated. Further, they need some spots on the 40 man to field a major league team in 2018 so some flexibility was needed there as well. There has to be more free agent signings coming.........

That's not true

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 08:28 AM)

They could lose all of the unprotected guys and it wouldn't decimate them (and they can lose more than 1 in Rule 5).. But sometimes, small things can make a big difference. Just particularly concerned about pitching.

We'll see what they do with the extra room.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
He is supposed to miss most, if not all of 2018.

I think there is some hope for him to be back for the second half, and there was a similar situation a year or two ago and the guy signed a one year deal with a team option for a second year, both at pretty low salaries. It would give the White Sox the guarantee to have him when he is healthy at a lower salary than if he proves he is healthy while also mitigating the risk because if he can't come back you don't have to pick up the option.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 01:40 PM)
I think there is some hope for him to be back for the second half, and there was a similar situation a year or two ago and the guy signed a one year deal with a team option for a second year, both at pretty low salaries. It would give the White Sox the guarantee to have him when he is healthy at a lower salary than if he proves he is healthy while also mitigating the risk because if he can't come back you don't have to pick up the option.

I would try to sign Shae Simmons, the other Mariner non tendered. He doesn't throw as hard as Kahnle, but does have potential to be really good. Health, and mechanics have been his issues.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
I would try to sign Shae Simmons, the other Mariner non tendered. He doesn't throw as hard as Kahnle, but does have potential to be really good. Health, and mechanics have been his issues.

Same thought. And mariners have handled pitchers mechanics so oddly in some situations. Worth a shot.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 07:15 PM)
But those idiots kept Sanchez! The outrage! The stupidity!

yolmer sanchez? Yolmer sanchez is quite possibly a 24 year old 2-3 WAR 3B that can play a solid SS and an excellent 2B as well. That dude would probably be worth a B prospect in a trade. So, I guess the joke falls flat? Now why they are keeping someone like May around is anybody's guess.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 05:37 PM)
yolmer sanchez? Yolmer sanchez is quite possibly a 24 year old 2-3 WAR 3B that can play a solid SS and an excellent 2B as well. That dude would probably be worth a B prospect in a trade. So, I guess the joke falls flat? Now why they are keeping someone like May around is anybody's guess.

Lip suggested that maybe we should non-tender Sanchez. The board got pretty pissed as a result. I take it you missed all this.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 08:49 AM)
They could lose all of the unprotected guys and it wouldn't decimate them (and they can lose more than 1 in Rule 5).. But sometimes, small things can make a big difference. Just particularly concerned about pitching.

We'll see what they do with the extra room.

Interesting. I stand corrected then. My comments moved to then I don’t think the Sox will get decimated at the Rule 5 draft.