Abreu trade "unlikely"

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 01:08 PM)
Why. I fully expect Jose to be traded after reading Dick Allen's comments from the Hahn speech. Jose is gone as is Avi.

Sox obviously don't care. Hahn is out to get that payroll down to the lowest imaginable then allegedly use that money when it's time.

Modern baseball. The only time in history teams are glad to get rid of players who are beloved and has THIS KIND of proven production. It used to be you'd keep such stars til they decided to retire.

Bye Jose and thanks for these numbers.

2014: .317, 36 HR, 107 RBI, .383 OBP, .581 SLG

2015: .290, 30 HR, 101 RBI, .347 OBP, .502 SLG

2016: .293. 25 HR, 100 RBI, .353 OBP, .468 SLG

2017: .304, 33 HR, 102 RBI, .354 OBP, .552 SLG.

Should be interesting to see what positions they target in this deal and Avi deal. Seems to me they already have a lot of outfield candidates especially with Robert and Eloy occupying two slots for many years in theory. My guess is they go for catcher, shortstop (upgrade from Tim is possible), and pile up more pitching. Look for catchers, shortstops and pitchers in teams organizations and that's who Abreu and Avi will be dealt for. You could say 3B as well but if that's the case why did they draft Burger? I guess they could stockpile another there and eventually release or trade my man, Davidson.

Greg, go read the comments on MLBTR and argue with them. The comments will infuriate you. I've lost my desire to.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 08:12 PM)
Greg, go read the comments on MLBTR and argue with them. The comments will infuriate you. I've lost my desire to.

I don't want to read opinions of fans of other teams. I deduced long ago there are rabid Sox fans on here who are intelligent and I want to see what they are thinking about the team. I'm just stunned at some of the things I've read on here the past couple years. Hopefully Hahn is a genius and all these trades and future trades and acquisitions (bullpen, defense, catching, bullpen, bullpen) will result in multiple WS appearances and titles.

JBJ has more trade value than Abreu so we're not getting him plus another guy. There are a lot of first basemen on the market too and Abreu isn't going to be super cheap the next two years either. I think the best we could hope for is Groome/Chavis and given that I'd rather just keep him.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 01:08 PM)
Why. I fully expect Jose to be traded after reading Dick Allen's comments from the Hahn speech. Jose is gone as is Avi.

Sox obviously don't care. Hahn is out to get that payroll down to the lowest imaginable then allegedly use that money when it's time.

Modern baseball. The only time in history teams are glad to get rid of players who are beloved and has THIS KIND of proven production. It used to be you'd keep such stars til they decided to retire.

Bye Jose and thanks for these numbers.

2014: .317, 36 HR, 107 RBI, .383 OBP, .581 SLG

2015: .290, 30 HR, 101 RBI, .347 OBP, .502 SLG

2016: .293. 25 HR, 100 RBI, .353 OBP, .468 SLG

2017: .304, 33 HR, 102 RBI, .354 OBP, .552 SLG.

Should be interesting to see what positions they target in this deal and Avi deal. Seems to me they already have a lot of outfield candidates especially with Robert and Eloy occupying two slots for many years in theory. My guess is they go for catcher, shortstop (upgrade from Tim is possible), and pile up more pitching. Look for catchers, shortstops and pitchers in teams organizations and that's who Abreu and Avi will be dealt for. You could say 3B as well but if that's the case why did they draft Burger? I guess they could stockpile another there and eventually release or trade my man, Davidson.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)
JBJ has more trade value than Abreu so we're not getting him plus another guy. There are a lot of first basemen on the market too and Abreu isn't going to be super cheap the next two years either. I think the best we could hope for is Groome/Chavis and given that I'd rather just keep him.

I agree with you. I don't think we are going to get an offer that makes sense for the White Sox.

The Red Sox would have to include JBJ in any deal for me to even consider them as a trading partner. Honestly, I’d probably need JBJ + Chavis and I would throw in a lesser prospect to offset some of that cost. Don’t think the Red Sox would do that though, which is fine since I don’t really want to trade Jose unless I’m overwhelmed.

Another component to keep an eye on is Baltimore's short term plan with Machado. I'm sure they know there is real good chance of losing him for nothing. What if suddenly they put him on the market? Not that it is necessarily related to this Abreu-Red Sox thing, but crazy three-team deals can occur during winter meetings..... Something to ponder.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 03:50 PM)
The Red Sox would have to include JBJ in any deal for me to even consider them as a trading partner. Honestly, I’d probably need JBJ + Chavis and I would throw in a lesser prospect to offset some of that cost. Don’t think the Red Sox would do that though, which is fine since I don’t really want to trade Jose unless I’m overwhelmed.

Only 3 years of control on Bradley turns me off a bit. But I suppose JBJ + Groome or Chavis + interesting flier or two could work.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)
Only 3 years of control on Bradley turns me off a bit. But I suppose JBJ + Groome or Chavis + interesting flier or two could work.

Why does that turn you off when it's more control than we have of Jose? I certainly understand wanting to hang onto Abreu but this seems like an odd reason to be turned off by JBJ.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 03:56 PM)
Why does that turn you off when it's more control than we have of Jose? I certainly understand wanting to hang onto Abreu but this seems like an odd reason to be turned off by JBJ.

I'd rather use our last great veteran trade piece to improve on our next core of players, not a guy who is going to be an impending FA next time we're good.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)
I'd rather use our last great veteran trade piece to improve on our next core of players, not a guy who is going to be an impending FA next time we're good.

While I agree with this, you could potentially have an even better trade chip if Bradley's season is anywhere between his 2016 and 2017 season since he plays a premium position.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)

To me the sox are looking at possibly trading avi and or abreu cause they only have 2 yrs left and it seems they are looking for 2020 to be their competing point. If you get back Bradley you get 1 yr in your start of competing then you lose him to free agency cause he a boras client.

I kind of agree with this. He is coming off an amazing 2017 season. There are no guarantees that he will be as good in 2018 either... Selling high on a veteran player albeit tough, is necessary when you are in the middle of a rebuild process. And from what I read, Hahn won't budge unless he is completely blown away by an offer. I'm not too worried by these rumors.

It is interesting to see people coming around on the idea that the window really isn't going to be there for 2019, but more like 2020 or even 2021 in this case.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 03:56 PM)

JBJ is a turn off because we are unlikely to contend in 2018, and 2019 is best case scenario for contention. That just leaves 2020 as JBJ's final year under contract when we plan to contend.

If we are dealing Abreu I think the consensus is that we should target longer term assets that are cost controlled. I don't think Boston is a great fit in that regard.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 04:01 PM)
It is interesting to see people coming around on the idea that the window really isn't going to be there for 2019, but more like 2020 or even 2021 in this case.

2019 was always a best case scenario, and I think fans are ready to accept that 2018 and 2019 are rebuilding years...with the focus being on 2020 onwards.

It would not be impossible to be a significantly improved team by 2019 if our young talent steps up though.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
2019 was always a best case scenario, and I think fans are ready to accept that 2018 and 2019 are rebuilding years...with the focus being on 2020 onwards.

It would not be impossible to be a significantly improved team by 2019 if our young talent steps up though.

JBJ would be ours through 2020, and people are saying that he wouldn't be a part of our next good team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 03:01 PM)

I will not take this bait, I will not take this bait, I will not take this bait.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 04:01 PM)

I am hopeful that the Sox are competitive in 2019, but I'm not turning down a good return for Abreu or Avi in hopes of that.