Welington Castillo to White Sox

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)
Matthew Pouliot

@matthewpouliot

Castillo's pitch-framing numbers got a lot better last year, making him more attractive. Still kind of surprising as an in-between move for a White Sox team still rebuilding. Doubt it's just a one-year deal.

Well that’s good to know!

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)
Off the top of my head and if I sound like a moron I apologize but is he better than the two guys we had last year?

Better than both for sure. Narvaez is at least solid at getting on base and he should be the backup, but Castillo brings better framing/defense (not great, but still a step up) and better offense.

QUOTE (ecupittfan @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 12:22 PM)
He threw out 49% of attempted basestealers last year, tops in the AL.

Combine that with improved framing and a 113 wRC+ and he’s basically the best catcher in baseball (mostly joking). But seriously I’m really feeling this move upon further analysis. Adding a veteran catcher was the one area I really to invest in this offseason.

I'm not really sure what it signifies but it's a good signing. Led AL in throwing out runners last year and dramatically improved his framing ability and he's a good defender too. Hit 20 homers in 365 plate appearances as well. 113 wRC+, .344 wOBA, .208 ISO. Nice signing.