Winter Meetings 2017

Chicago White Sox

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is going to be a slow week all around. Not many FA have signed. They really should back these meetings up month or so, and maybe provide some incentive for teams and free agents to sign sooner. Maybe make the compensation lower for the tendered guys the earlier they sign.

They could still hold the job fair.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
Heyman subtlety setting up a JBJ for Schwarber trade. Edit: nightengale not heyman

Why would Boston do that? JBJ surely has more trade value than Schwarber after his replacement level 129 games in 2017?

I get Cubs fans are obsessed with him, but outside of playoff heroics he just hasn't been very good.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 03:54 PM)
Why would Boston do that? JBJ surely has more trade value than Schwarber after his replacement level 129 games in 2017?

I get Cubs fans are obsessed with him, but outside of playoff heroics he just hasn't been very good.

So they're not getting Benintendi for him like they think?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 11:03 AM)
The first day of the Winter Meetings always seems boring. First night through the third night always seems active. Day 4 is just the Rule 5 Draft for the most part.

Pretty sure the Sale deal happened at like lunch time on Monday last year.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
Pretty sure the Sale deal happened at like lunch time on Monday last year.

I was just saying it usually seems that way around the meetings overall. That would be an outlier for sure.

Edit: Sale trade was actually the second day on the 6th (that Tuesday).

Edited by soxfan2014

Sounds like the Red Sox want to replace JBJ with a power hitting run produer in the corner spot. I'm thinking they will sign JD Martinez, put him in LF and shift Benintendi to CF.

It will be interesting to see how the market lines up for Abreu. Bruce Levine said the teams who missed out on Stanton-- SF and STL can come calling for Abreu. (No surprise there) Hahn would be selling really high on Abreu and i'm assuming he would have to be extremely overwhelmed to deal him.

What does the market look like for Avi?? I feel he is the biggest wildcard going into these meetings. I say there is a 70% chance he gets traded and a 20% chance Abreu does.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
I was just saying it usually seems that way around the meetings overall. That would be an outlier for sure.

Edit: Sale trade was actually the second day on the 6th (that Tuesday).

Oops, my bad. For whatever reason, I had it in my head that Sale was Monday noon-ish and Eaton was late afternoon Tuesday.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 03:44 PM)
https://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien/status/940333429912154114

@ChuckGarfien

Hahn says there’s been a heightened level of trade talk since the meetings began.

I really don’t think Carlos Sanchez will be on the White Sox 72 hours from now. A lot of teams are looking for 2B and Sanchez is probably one of the more attractive options.

Edited by Chicago White Sox